Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 16, '12, 11:08 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Understanding of Soul and Spirit: Clarification Needed

I am wondering whether Spirit is a higher form of soul, as in the soul has the potential to be come like spirit which is immortal?

From what I understand from the the Catholic Encyclopedia, soul is not distinct from spirit.

What is the Catholic position on this?

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, '12, 11:59 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Understanding of Soul and Spirit: Clarification Needed

http://http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p6.htm
The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the "form" of the body:234 i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not "produced" by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235

367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people "wholly", with "spirit and soul and body" kept sound and blameless at the Lord's coming.236 The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul.237 "Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.238
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Jun 17, '12, 1:01 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueSea View Post
I am wondering whether Spirit is a higher form of soul, as in the soul has the potential to be come like spirit which is immortal?

From what I understand from the the Catholic Encyclopedia, soul is not distinct from spirit.

What is the Catholic position on this?

Thanks.
Soul=Spirit=Me=I.
Old Jun 17, '12, 3:38 am

Religion: Soul: Christian, Flesh: Muslim.

Soul: while on earth (body required).
Spirit: in heavens (no body required (like Angels)).

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Jun 17, '12, 6:19 am
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_777 View Post
Soul: while on earth (body required).
Spirit: in heavens (no body required (like Angels)).
Actually, no.

Body is always required, except that in eternity, one goes from "human body" to "pneumatikon soma" (1Co 15).

You never become an angel, whether or not you live in Los Angeles . A human being is always someBODY.

"The soul" is the person, the human being; or, more specifically, the life in the human being (body). It is not expressed unless there is a body. Bodies hold and express souls.

Spirit comes the Latin word spiritus, breath. Just as we are not physically alive unless we can breathe, we need Heavenly breath (spirit) from GOD to form our Heavenly life and our pneumatikon soma ("spiritual body")

ICXC NIKA
Old Jun 18, '12, 2:18 am

Religion: Soul: Christian, Flesh: Muslim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEddie View Post
Actually, no.

Body is always required, except that in eternity, one goes from "human body" to "pneumatikon soma" (1Co 15).

You never become an angel, whether or not you live in Los Angeles . A human being is always someBODY.

"The soul" is the person, the human being; or, more specifically, the life in the human being (body). It is not expressed unless there is a body. Bodies hold and express souls.

Spirit comes the Latin word spiritus, breath. Just as we are not physically alive unless we can breathe, we need Heavenly breath (spirit) from GOD to form our Heavenly life and our pneumatikon soma ("spiritual body")

ICXC NIKA
(Matthew 22:30):
"
At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."

I will be a spirit in heavens, so I don't need a mansion or a horse, I will be flying here and there between GOD, Angels, and other Spirits.....

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Jun 19, '12, 12:10 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishie View Post
http://http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p6.htm
The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the "form" of the body:234 i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature.

366 The Church teaches that every spiritual soul is created immediately by God - it is not "produced" by the parents - and also that it is immortal: it does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection.235

367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people "wholly", with "spirit and soul and body" kept sound and blameless at the Lord's coming.236 The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul.237 "Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.238

Can you help me?
How do you put that icon beside your usename, where it says God Bless You ? thanks.
Old Jun 22, '12, 10:48 pm

Religion: Christian (Drifting Towards Catholicism)

From my understanding spirit is what enables humans to commune with god. I think a better term might be will. The spirit is kind of a bridge between your soul and god and between your soul and the soul of others.

Now if we are talking about gods spirit that's another matter entirely. From my understanding gods spirit is the fundamental laws of the physical universe such as gravity, as well as metaphysical laws like the Ten Commandments. God would preform a miracle through his spirit or rather the Holy Spirit. That's at least how I understand it.
Old Jun 23, '12, 12:32 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategos7771 View Post
From my understanding spirit is what enables humans to commune with god. I think a better term might be will. The spirit is kind of a bridge between your soul and god and between your soul and the soul of others.

Now if we are talking about gods spirit that's another matter entirely. From my understanding gods spirit is the fundamental laws of the physical universe such as gravity, as well as metaphysical laws like the Ten Commandments. God would preform a miracle through his spirit or rather the Holy Spirit. That's at least how I understand it.
Agree. I was referring to soul & spirit in the context of human beings. Found this in John 4:

But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

I forgot about this until your post reminded me of this.
Old Jul 2, '12, 8:58 pm

Religion: Christian (Drifting Towards Catholicism)

From my understanding things like truth and justice are laws and as such would exist through the holy spirit or gods omnipresent will.
Old Jul 4, '12, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEddie View Post
Actually, no.

ICXC NIKA
The soul is not the person. The person is the composit being of body and soul. This composit is the person. See the Catholic Catechism or any reliable Scholastic Philosophy text on Philosophical Psychology.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy