Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 19, '12, 12:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default "HillMark" Sterling silver Rosary, ca. 1940s/1950s?

About a year ago, my grandma moved in with my uncle and we received some of her things to store for her, including her big jewelry case. I was looking through it yesterday and found a big Rosary, marked "HillMark Sterling" on the back of the crucifix. It's made up of purple glass beads with little end caps on each bead. The center is the Sacred Heart on one side and Mary Queen on the other side with the Infant Jesus.

I looked up online and found a few that look to be similar.
Kind of looks like this http://neworleans.craigslist.org/jwl/3044078006.html
only like I the beads on this are purple. Also the beads only have one cap.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this company or might have more info. on it/the Rosary.

I don't really want to ask my grandma because I don't want her to think I'm angling to keep it or something. Though I know she would give it to me if I asked. I'm the only practicing Catholic left in the family, unfortunately.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jun 19, '12, 1:44 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "HillMark" Sterling silver Rosary, ca. 1940s/1950s?

Did you look on ebay? Also google Antique or Vintage Hillmark rosaries, There are those who collect rosaries and others who sell old ones. Good luck.

Personally, because you are the only practicing Catholic in your family, I would not hesitate to ask Grandma for the rosary. I think it is lovely because it is something you would be using daily and when you use it, you'll be thinking of her. Tell her that. I would want my grandaughter to pray for me and remember me. She may be waiting for you to say something.
Old Jun 19, '12, 1:48 pm

This may be a bit off topic but I always like to think of religious objects that have value (like say a valuable rosary in your case) as being Mary's rosary or Jesus's crucifix. So I never become object oriented, so my two crucifixes, rosaries, and my variety of necklaces all belong to the Lord and his Mother. lol
Old Jun 19, '12, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicirt View Post
Did you look on ebay? Also google Antique or Vintage Hillmark rosaries, There are those who collect rosaries and others who sell old ones. Good luck.

Personally, because you are the only practicing Catholic in your family, I would not hesitate to ask Grandma for the rosary. I think it is lovely because it is something you would be using daily and when you use it, you'll be thinking of her. Tell her that. I would want my grandaughter to pray for me and remember me. She may be waiting for you to say something.
No, just searched on Google. I will look specifically on ebay though. Well, my grandma isn't practicing either. My family is very weird and complicated, haha. But when I converted, she gave me my dad's old Missal and our family Bible. She knows and appreciates that I am really the only one in the family who values these types of things even though she hasn't practiced in a long time.

My mom said that she doesn't think I should say anything because she doesn't want my grandma to think we were nosing through her things. But I don't think my grandma would care because she even said that everything in there (she has some very expensive, nice jewelry as well) is to be divvied between me, my mom, and my aunt. Recently though, my grandma said something about wanting to sell the jewelry in there, and my aunt doesn't want her to sell these valuable and sentimental things, so she said that we had already split everything up. My mom said best just not to mention anything, lest she remember that box and get the idea into her head again that she wants to sell the stuff.

It's just a complicated and long story! My mom said just to go ahead and keep it for now, I'm the only one who would really care about it, and if and when anyone mentions it, I will just say that I borrowed it and would be happy to give it to someone else.

Old Jun 19, '12, 3:09 pm

Why not tell Grandma, at an appropriate time, that if she's selling the rosary, you want to buy it from her?

Actually that might be a good idea with all the other stuff too. If interested in a piece, buy it from Grandma and let her enjoy the proceeds. You could have a Chinese auction.
Old Jun 19, '12, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Why not tell Grandma, at an appropriate time, that if she's selling the rosary, you want to buy it from her?

Actually that might be a good idea with all the other stuff too. If interested in a piece, buy it from Grandma and let her enjoy the proceeds. You could have a Chinese auction.
Oh, I don't think she would be interested in selling the Rosary. The jewelry is the stuff that is really valuable. Even if I offered, she would never let me buy it from her.

Old Jun 20, '12, 4:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Oh, I don't think she would be interested in selling the Rosary. The jewelry is the stuff that is really valuable. Even if I offered, she would never let me buy it from her.

I'm sure she wouldn't allow you to buy it from her. My thought was it is a way of bringing up the subject to indicate your interest in it.
Old Jun 20, '12, 9:21 am

Quote:
I'm sure she wouldn't allow you to buy it from her. My thought was it is a way of bringing up the subject to indicate your interest in it.
Yes, hmm.. Well, I don't know. We'll see. Thanks for your responses.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality