Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 21, '12, 11:39 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Missing Mass a mortal sin?

I have been arguing with my sister about whether missing Mass is a sin or not. I dont think it is but she tells me the Church teaching is that it is a mortal. It think its rude not to go to Mass but i dont think its a mortal sin. Please confirm
Old Jun 21, '12, 11:40 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Missing Mass a mortal sin?

Your sister is correct.

Yes it is a mortal sin (regarding Sundays or Holy Days of obligation). Unless -- say one is sick or dispensed by ones Pastor --for that Sunday or Holy Day.

(if one has full knowledge and complete consent..so if one say honestly believed that the Holy Day is the next day...then it was an accident....and not sin. Though of course if one does not take the needed effort to find out...well then one is back in the sinful area)
Old Jun 21, '12, 11:43 am
Forum Elder

Catechism

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a3.htm#II

(grave sin = mortal sin = serious sin they are interchangable terms).
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:03 pm
Trial Membership

In my heart Ive always believed that it is not a sin and reading what u have just written is shocking to me and knowing that its a sin changes my perspective in what i thought was right. I really believed that may not going to Mass was rude but not a sin.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:04 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1973 View Post
I have been arguing with my sister about whether missing Mass is a sin or not. I dont think it is but she tells me the Church teaching is that it is a mortal. It think its rude not to go to Mass but i dont think its a mortal sin. Please confirm
Your sister is correct.

If you have not been going to Mass on all Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, go to confession.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:12 pm

Religion: Catholic->Atheist->Catholic

Quote:
It is grave matter. If the other conditions for mortal sin are present (full consent and full knowledge) then yes it is a mortal sin.

It's important for all of us to remember that we don't decide what is grave matter, God does (and communicates this through the Church).

When Protestants point to the missing-mass mortal sin connection as the Catholic Church being unbearably legalistic, I like to remind them of the consequences of taking one bite of one apple in a huge garden full of fruit trees. God makes the rules, and we cannot possibly make better ones.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:15 pm

Quote:
In my heart Ive always believed that it is not a sin and reading what u have just written is shocking to me and knowing that its a sin changes my perspective in what i thought was right. I really believed that may not going to Mass was rude but not a sin.
Then you clearly did not have full knowledge, so you did not commit mortal sin. Confess anyway, since it was grave matter, and attempt to conform yourself to God's will in the future. And thank your sister.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:18 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Your sister is correct.

If you have not been going to Mass on all Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, go to confession.
Right now Im in shock and I have a lot of deep thinking to do. I have not been to Church for many years and consider myself a great sinner but I believe in God's great mercy and I know my love for Him is real. I was afraid to ask the question, afraid that my sister was right but if the Church teaches it is a sin then I accept that this is the truth. I have many questions I know I have to ask and but Im afraid of the answers Im going to get. Thank you all for answering this question.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Right now Im in shock and I have a lot of deep thinking to do. I have not been to Church for many years and consider myself a great sinner but I believe in God's great mercy and I know my love for Him is real. I was afraid to ask the question, afraid that my sister was right but if the Church teaches it is a sin then I accept that this is the truth. I have many questions I know I have to ask and but Im afraid of the answers Im going to get. Thank you all for answering this question.
The fact that you accept the teaching of the Church as truth is 90% of the battle. The other 90% (!!) is hearing the answers to those other questions and knowing that you have to submit there too. Giving up one's sins is hard, as we all know. Desiring to give them up, and working to give them up, you've already got one foot in heaven.

(And living a Catholic life to the best of one's abilities brings such JOY. The road to heaven truly is heaven).
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:29 pm

Religion: Catholic Since 4/3/10

Quote:
God bless you in your journey to find the truth. Feel free to keep asking questions here on the message boards, that's what they are for!

Don't be afraid to find out more. It may be tough, but it is ALWAYS worth it to learn more. Just as working out is difficult at the time, the benefits received are worth it.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:31 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarflemike View Post
Then you clearly did not have full knowledge, so you did not commit mortal sin. Confess anyway, since it was grave matter, and attempt to conform yourself to God's will in the future. And thank your sister.
i dont know about thanking her lol. I wish I was still ignorant now that i know its makes it worst.
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:33 pm

Quote:
i dont know about thanking her lol. I wish I was still ignorant now that i know its makes it worst.
Knowing God's will and aligning yourself with his will is always best. It's also really hard, especially in the beginning. But there comes a time when you would never desire anything else. We are all called to become holy as our Father is holy. Good luck and God Bless!
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that the requirement to attend Mass is not for God's benefit. He's not sitting there like some maiden aunt, upset because nobody came to her tea party.

It's required because it is very much easier to stop living a life based on sin (and/or to avoid starting or returning to such a life) if you go to Mass. It's not like He's asking much--just one hour a week to join with your brothers and sisters to watch a miracle. One hour a week to connect with the Truth (God) and also truth--that God is all good, and all-loving, and worthy of worship.

Some people, I know, don't need to be required to go to Mass. They'll go anyway. But I know that when I was attending Protestant churches, I could make excuses for myself for missing church. By the end, I was mostly only going to church about once a month. I love Mass, and unlike when I was a child, I don't find it boring any more because I understand it better. But still, I have no doubt, if Mass attendance weren't required, laziness would win out sometimes. And once that starts, it can only snowball. I miss Mass once because I was up late and very tired in the morning. The next week, I've missed the grace of going for a week, and it takes less for me to stay at home.

So I'm really grateful that it is required. I can't try to fool myself that it doesn't matter much. I can't make excuses. If I decide not to go to Mass, I have to know that I am deliberately deciding to commit a mortal sin. I haven't missed Sunday Mass since I came back to the Church (except for illness, and once for weather).

You can do it, too. And the longer you do it, the easier it gets.

God bless you!

--Jen
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:51 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
(knowing you have the questions to ask ... means your already in a position of being responsible to ask them....and to get things in order and find the truth and life --make an appointment with a Priest...)

In Jesus of Nazareth (and thus in his Church) is true life. He loves you and wants you to have this life!

Be not afraid!

"..the happiness you are seeking, the happiness you have a right to enjoy has a name and a face: it is Jesus of Nazareth...

I repeat today what I said at the beginning of my Pontificate: "If we let Christ into our lives, we lose nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing of what makes life free, beautiful and great. No! Only in this friendship are the doors of life opened wide. Only in this friendship is the great potential of human existence truly revealed. Only in this friendship do we experience beauty and liberation"....

Be completely convinced of this: Christ takes from you nothing that is beautiful and great, but brings everything to perfection for the glory of God, the happiness of men and women, and the salvation of the world." Pope Benedict XVI Aug 28 2005
Old Jun 21, '12, 12:53 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Why not get yourself a copy of the US Adult Catechism? It might help you.

http://www.usccbpublishing.org/produ....cfm?sku=5-450

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics