Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '12, 9:05 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Am I damned?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm a Catholic who has unfortunately fallen into mortal sin. I've many done acts of Contritions and yet still fall back into sin before my confession. Is it sacrilege to do such, repeating your sin after multiple contritions? The most recent sin I committed, I had a vision of the crucifix at the end, and I am truly sorry for my wrongdoings. Is it blasphemy/sacrilege to have such a vision while doing such a heinous act?
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:17 am
Account Under Review

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012
Default Re: Am I damned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstrghtInquirer View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm a Catholic who has unfortunately fallen into mortal sin. I've many done acts of Contritions and yet still fall back into sin before my confession. Is it sacrilege to do such, repeating your sin after multiple contritions? The most recent sin I committed, I had a vision of the crucifix at the end, and I am truly sorry for my wrongdoings. Is it blasphemy/sacrilege to have such a vision while doing such a heinous act?
Are you in Hell right now? Then no, you aren't damned.

I hope you are aware that blasphemy and sacrilege are sins and that sins are acts of the will. "Having a vision" is not an act of the will. So no, it isn't a sin.

If your contrition is sincere when you confess and your resolve not to sin again is also sincere, then you are absolved. It doesn't matter if your resolve later weakens and you sin again (well, it does matter, but not with respect to the validity of the earlier absolution).

If you need a boost to your resolve, this did it for me: St. Leonard of Port Maurice's homily, "The Little Number of Those Who Are Saved." Find it here. Read it. Then change, and never, ever look back.
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:21 am
Forum Elder

Please make an appointment to talk to your priest outside of confession time. It sounds like you have some serious spiritual issues going on, and the internet is not going to help you resolve them. You need counsel from a holy priest.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 26, '12, 9:51 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:
Do you remember the parable in the Bible where Peter asks Jesus how many times we should forgive someone and Jesus replied 7 x 77 as his answer? These days we can work that sum out. In reality though the answer is every time. So in anwer to your question, as you are truely sorry for your wrong doings then you are going to confession with a contrite heart and that is what matters. You are being very honest and that goes a long way. But as said by another poster, please talk to your priest about it as he will be able to guide you that bit further. If you choose to talk about it in confession then arrange another time so that he knows its a confession but needing further support. Hope you find peace soon. Amen
Old Jun 26, '12, 10:12 am

A joke I heard about confession ...

A penitent tells his confessor, "Father, I'm so tired of confessing the same old sins over and over again! It's always the same ones and never anything different."

Father says, "What do you want -- new sins?"

(1 Thess 5:16)
Old Jun 26, '12, 10:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Is it sacrilege to do such, repeating your sin after multiple contritions?

No, its not sacrilege, its called being Human!

God loves you and me despite our numerous faults and sins.

Look at the story of Israel in the OT...they followed God's commandments, then they broke them, then God got angry, then they repented, then God forgave them, they followed the law for a while....and the cycle was repeated over and over and over again.

The only certainty is that people will stumble, people will fall, but if people ask for forgiveness, God will allow a new beginning.

Life with God is a series of new beginnings!
Old Jun 26, '12, 10:48 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post

I hope you are aware that blasphemy and sacrilege are sins and that sins are acts of the will. "Having a vision" is not an act of the will. So no, it isn't a sin.

Read it. Then change, and never, ever look back.
Thank you for your words. I was moved by the article you sent. The false condemnation I felt has vanished. I will seek confession.
Old Jun 26, '12, 10:53 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post
That. ^

I saw the title of the thread and thought, "Hmm, I don't even have to read the post to answer that one. If you're alive, the answer is NO."

God's mercy is infinite. God loves you. I agree with 1ke; it would be a very good idea to set up a time outside confession to talk to a priest. Whatever you say will not shock or disturb the priest--he has probably heard a lot worse. He can help you.

I pray God will watch over you and give you strength and peace.

--Jen
Old Jun 26, '12, 11:46 am

Religion: non religous

This is the type of thing that gets me about faith in general.

What's the mortal sin?

shell fish or murder,

Mixed fibre or coveting thy neighbors ***?

A serious question after the above levity,

Is it a serious sin, worthy of death, to fish (for profit) on a Sunday, eat some of the delicious lobster caught after selling the rest of your catch, whilst wearing poly/cotton and talking about how your mother is a pain in the *** and your neighbors new car is something you one day would like to own?

I'm sorry for taking away from the OP but the above are sins worthy of either stoning or death, Shouldn't we all be praying for forgiveness?

Chris
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:00 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
...Shouldn't we all be praying for forgiveness?

Chris
Yes, we certainly all should be praying for forgiveness. If an innocent, young shepherd boy in a remote village in Portugal in 1916-1917 had to pray many, many rosaries in the hope of getting to Heaven, then we should all certainly be praying for forgivness, considering the state of the world we live in now.
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:04 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
Thank you for your words. I was moved by the article you sent. The false condemnation I felt has vanished. I will seek confession.
You are very, very welcome. I also echo 1ke's advice to schedule an appointment with your priest, especially if you're struggling with the same sin or two. They may be able to recommend some useful exercises.

Quote:

What's the mortal sin?

shell fish or murder,

Mixed fibre or coveting thy neighbors ***?

Is it a serious sin, worthy of death, to fish (for profit) on a Sunday, eat some of the delicious lobster caught after selling the rest of your catch, whilst wearing poly/cotton and talking about how your mother is a pain in the *** and your neighbors new car is something you one day would like to own?

I'm sorry for taking away from the OP but the above are sins worthy of either stoning or death, Shouldn't we all be praying for forgiveness?

Chris
Is this a serious question? We know what mortal sin is. It's a disordered act concerning grave matter committed with full knowledge and full consent of the will. Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments.
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Yes, we certainly all should be praying for forgiveness. If an innocent, young shepherd boy in a remote village in Portugal in 1916-1917 had to pray many, many rosaries in the hope of getting to Heaven, then we should all certainly be praying for forgivness, considering the state of the world we live in now.
answer the question in it's context. No mention of anything else, just the mortal sins listed.
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:22 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
answer the question in it's context. No mention of anything else, just the mortal sins listed.
The teachings of the Catholic Church indicate that for a sin to be a mortal sin, it involves grave matter and is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
The teachings of the Catholic Church indicate that for a sin to be a mortal sin, it involves grave matter and is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.
Soooo?

I know I'm wearing polly / cotton, it feels lovely, Am I damned?
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:36 pm
Veteran Member

In keeping with the lightness of this post, I'll answer accordingly.

Quote:

What's the mortal sin?

shell fish or murder, Murdering the shell fish is not a mortal sin.

Mixed fibre or coveting thy neighbors ***? Coveting the neighbor wearing a mixed fiber bikini might be mortal sin.

Is it a serious sin, worthy of death, to fish (for profit) on a Sunday Fishing for carp for profit on Sunday is definitely a mortal sin, yuck!,

eat some of the delicious lobster caught after selling the rest of your catch, Eating delicious lobster is not a mortal sin and eating gross carp is penance.

whilst wearing poly/cotton and talking about how your mother is a pain in the *** and your neighbors new car is something you one day would like to own? Wearing poly/cotton and dissing your mother while thinking about owning your neighbor's new car is a mortal sin because if YOU own your neighbor's new car, then you probably stole it

Chris

Last edited by SwizzleStick; Jun 26, '12 at 12:54 pm.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology