Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '12, 2:22 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Sin by Proximity?

I have seen many Christians, including many Catholics, state that it is immoral in some circumstances to be around those who we know to be sinning. For example, if one's son or daughter is living with their boyfriend/girlfriend, we are not supposed to spend the night with them while knowing they are living in an illicit arrangement. Would their sin cause us to sin if we are close to it in this way? Why would us just being around a sin cause us to sin as well? Is it not possible to be around those who we know to be sinning while avoiding sin ourselves? Or does this only apply in some situations?

John 6:60 (RSV-2CE)
Old Jun 27, '12, 3:26 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Sin by Proximity?

What nonsense. By that logic Jesus was sinning whenever he ate with tax collectors and hookers.

They may be referring however, to the sin of scandal, say a good public Catholic attending a same sex "marriage", that's not a great thing to do. As for co-habitation, well, every situation is different, I know good Catholics who have co-habitated but not fornicated whilst doing so, I don't think its charitable to think all those in co-habitating relationships are fornicators.

We are called to minister and live a life of example, how are we supposed to do that if we hide away from all the sinners, which, btw, we are amongst their ranks.
Old Jun 27, '12, 4:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scameter18 View Post
I have seen many Christians, including many Catholics, state that it is immoral in some circumstances to be around those who we know to be sinning. For example, if one's son or daughter is living with their boyfriend/girlfriend, we are not supposed to spend the night with them while knowing they are living in an illicit arrangement. Would their sin cause us to sin if we are close to it in this way? Why would us just being around a sin cause us to sin as well? Is it not possible to be around those who we know to be sinning while avoiding sin ourselves? Or does this only apply in some situations?
I think the issue has nothing to do with "catching the sin" like catching a cold. It is more a matter of being light to the world and ensuring that we do not condone that which we know is against God's will for us. Also, we should not create scandal. Non-Christians looking at our actions, should be able to tell we are Christians. IF they can't tell we are different, why would they want to investigate Christianity. From an outsider looking in perspective: if it doesn't make a difference in the life of Christians, why bother. They should look at us and see Jesus reflected through our actions and words.

Some people take this too far by the way and actually drive those they love further away, rather then help them see the mistakes they have made. We are called to educate in charity

St. Padre Pio, pray for us!
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:42 am

By staying overnight with your grown child who is living in sin, you are condoning their sin. Get a hotel room nearby and quit worrying. While one cannot "catch sin" as a germ, your normalizing of their living in sin is not good for them or for you. Worrying about hurt feelings or other nonsense sometimes clouds our judgement and tempts us to accept a glaring sin as something "normal" for this day and time. Be strong on your faith and live it. You are supposed to carry the msg, not adapt Christ's message to be more convenient for you or for those you love.
Old Jun 27, '12, 1:51 pm
Banned

As others have said, it's about not condoning. I don't think I'd considering staying overnight with a cohabitating child always a sin though. Afterall, not every town has a hotel you can stay at. That's certainly not the case where I live. I've rarely ever even SEEN a hotel before.
Old Jun 28, '12, 2:09 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you all for your answers. I have two further questions:

1. As regards scandal, should we be willing, as Catholics, to avoid something that is not in itself wrong in order to avoid the disapproval of non-Catholics?

2. Why would being around something, as with the example of staying overnight with a co-habitating child we know to be having sexual relations with their partner, necessarily mean we condone it? And, as someone mentioned about Christ being around sinners, how do we determine when our proximity to something is us condoning it, and when it is not?

John 6:60 (RSV-2CE)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology