Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 30, '12, 6:58 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Prayers to ask Jesus to help me overcome my own ego and egotism

Hi,

Any egotism that I have I want to get rid of. Please pray that any form of egotism and self-adulation or self-righteousness is purged from my soul. I don't know how this will play out but Jesus will tell me what to do and how to think and act. Ask Him to do so from now on.

God bless you,
Joshua
Old Jun 30, '12, 7:47 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Prayers to ask Jesus to help me overcome my own ego and egotism

Praying.
Old Jun 30, '12, 8:32 am

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

Good and Gracious Lord,

Throughout your entire life you displayed a perfect example of humility for us.
By Your Grace, Dear Lord, flood us with an increase of the virtue of humility.
We strive always and everywhere to do as you would command, in humble servitude.
We know that doing for the Father just as you did for him will lead us to what we seek.
Though we may struggle and suffer we know we must focus our hearts just as you did.
Rejoicing in Our Father's mercy for despite our troubles he will always help us right our wrongs.
Help us to turn to You and in all that we lack, allow Your Saints to guide us through their intercession.
So that we may one day be joined with you in absence of our own wretchedness,
which has been born our of our lack of humility. Help us to love as You Love,

We pray all of these things in the Name of Jesus Christ, Our Lord!

AMEN!
Old Jun 30, '12, 9:40 am

Religion: roman catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrp View Post
Hi,

Any egotism that I have I want to get rid of. Please pray that any form of egotism and self-adulation or self-righteousness is purged from my soul. I don't know how this will play out but Jesus will tell me what to do and how to think and act. Ask Him to do so from now on.

God bless you,
Joshua
The Litany of Humility may help you. I feel that our ego is a gift from the Lord but it can become like a wild horse that must be tamed. I will pray for you and would appreciate your prayers as well, I think we all need to be tuned in when that horse starts to rear it's legs.
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:02 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyma View Post
The Litany of Humility may help you. I feel that our ego is a gift from the Lord but it can become like a wild horse that must be tamed. I will pray for you and would appreciate your prayers as well, I think we all need to be tuned in when that horse starts to rear it's legs.
Amen
Old Jul 1, '12, 1:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrp View Post
Hi,

God bless you,
Joshua
Some suggestions:

1. Confession.

2. Pray before Jesus in The Blessed Sacrament. Find an Adoration Hour and sit and let God work in you and heal you and transform you

3. Read and Listen to God's Word:

Psalm 73:6
Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them as a garment

James 4:16
As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

2 Tim 3:2-5
For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, fierce, haters of good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 holding the form of religion but denying the power of it. Avoid such people.

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

1 John 2:16
For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world.

Ephesians 4:17-32
New Living Translation
Living as Children of Light

17With the Lordís authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. 18Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. 19They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.

20But that isnít what you learned about Christ. 21Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, 22throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. 23Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24Put on your new nature, created to be like Godótruly righteous and holy.

25So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body. 26And ďdonít sin by letting anger control you.Ēd Donít let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27for anger gives a foothold to the devil.

28If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need. 29Donít use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

30And do not bring sorrow to Godís Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own,e guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.

31Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions