Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 2, '12, 7:44 am

Religion: Catholic > Mormon > Catholic
Default How do you develop a relationship with your guardian angel?

I have recently started to seek after a relationship with my guardian angel, I have tried to become more aware of him. I do feel that he loves me tremendously. But a large part of my experience is still defined by doubt. How can I hear his still, small voice? Is it my imagination?
How do you cultivate your bond with your dear angel?
Old Jul 2, '12, 9:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you develop a relationship with your guardian angel?

I talk to him....constantly. I ask him to protect me, ask him where I parked my car if I can't remember, ask him to help me get to the gas station when I'm low on gas, ask him where I put things, ask him to help me lift heavy things, or just say "good morning". I try to treat him as if he's a physically present friend that's with me all the time. I find that talking to him makes me more aware of his presence, and it helps me to develop a close relationship with him. My mom named all of our guardian angels when we were born, so she could call on any specific one she needed. She called my angel Mark. I feel more personally connected to someone I'm on a first name basis with. Maybe assign your angel a name?
It was interesting....my mother could be worried about me when I was out, and would say "Mark, please tell my daughter to call me.." I would call and she would say, "oh good, Mark whispered in your ear, huh?" just as matter of fact as could be! Amazing! Aren't we so lucky to have our own angels??!!
Old Jul 2, '12, 9:23 am

Thank you for replying. I have heard that if you ask your angel what his name is, he will eventually tell you. I have asked him but haven't gotten any response yet. Maybe I will assign him a name. I do feel so much love towards him.
How do you for sure that he is with you? After being a Mormon for 11 years and being led by false doctrines, I do have a hard time to trust myself :-(
Old Jul 2, '12, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina5 View Post
Thank you for replying. I have heard that if you ask your angel what his name is, he will eventually tell you. I have asked him but haven't gotten any response yet. Maybe I will assign him a name. I do feel so much love towards him.
How do you for sure that he is with you? After being a Mormon for 11 years and being led by false doctrines, I do have a hard time to trust myself :-(
It's honestly never crossed my mind that he WASN'T with me. But I've been talking to him ever since I can remember. I just trust that God loves each of us all enough to give us a constant guide in our lives.
And I've heard that your angel could reveal his name to you if you ask him. My grandmother asked her angel for YEARS what his name was. She woke in the middle of the night one night and heard a male voice say a name. That was it, as distinct as it could be. From them on, she referred to her angel by that name. I'd love to know my Angel's real name!!!! I'm going to start asking him!!
Old Jul 2, '12, 9:56 am

Thank you!! I just got TONS of chills reading the story of your grand-mother.
I am indeed so grateful for my sweet angel )
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:15 am

Wow - thanks for this thread. I think I know my Guardian Angel's name now, oh my heck...

I awoke oddly from a dream and asked my wife, "Who is _______ ?" I assume it was a saint, but I now think it's a different kind of saint. I haven't been asking for my guardian angel's name, however, just asking for protection and assistance. One thing I HAVE been doing is asking St. Michael and Mary to let me take a larger role in fighting the enemy - to join their army - to armor up - to learn effective weapons for the fight. Maybe this is a step in that effort.

As I'm sure you know, a relationship is a two way street, and we can't dictate any relationship with any "person". I assume that angels have a great deal of constraints on them - so we have to honor that too.

Reading information from Padre Pio, it seems that guardian angels are somewhat guided by our requests - those being ones that help us build up the Kingdom.

At this point, I'm going to start trying different ways to interact with my guardian angle.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:20 am

I say a prayer to my guardian angel every morning after waking and every evening before sleeping. I also pray Psalm 91.
11 For he commands his angels with regard to you,
to guard you wherever you go.

12 With their hands they shall support you,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.

13 You can tread upon the asp and the viper,
trample the lion and the dragon.

fyi about naming your guardian angel ...
217. Popular devotion to the Holy Angels, which is legitimate and good, can, however, also give rise to possible deviations:

when the daily events of life, which have nothing or little to do with our progressive maturing on the journey towards Christ are read schematically or simplistically, indeed childishly, so as to ascribe all setbacks to the Devil and all success to the Guardian Angels. The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.
Vatican Link
(1 Thess 5:16)
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:28 am

I agree regarding naming one's angel. I feel that it would be disrespectful to rename him :-((
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:35 am

We don't have to seek our guardian angel's name, nor try to hear his voice.

Just pray to your angel with confidence as you think of his presence throughout the day.
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:43 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you for posting this question. I enjoyed reading different stories of their guardian angels. I would also love to know mine. Everyday I know he/she is guarding me from harm (especially when I'm driving). I don't care to know his/her name but I would love to have a better relationship.
By the way, are there lady angels? Or are they all males? Or aren't they supposed to be genderless?

God bless!

"Sometimes the only way the Good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Old Jul 2, '12, 10:45 am

I do feel that my angel is a male. But it could be my imagination. Not sure.
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerie114 View Post

Thank you for posting this question. I enjoyed reading different stories of their guardian angels. I would also love to know mine. Everyday I know he/she is guarding me from harm (especially when I'm driving). I don't care to know his/her name but I would love to have a better relationship.
By the way, are there lady angels? Or are they all males? Or aren't they supposed to be genderless?

God bless!
Angels are pure spirits and therefore have no gender. When there is a need for them to appear to a person on earth, they are capable of putting on the appearance of a body.

If you are interested in angels an excellent book is "Angels and Demons" by Peter Kreeft. It is an excellent Catholic book.

There are many new-age books about angels out there and we should stay away from them.
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice Always View Post
I say a prayer to my guardian angel every morning after waking and every evening before sleeping. I also pray Psalm 91.
11 For he commands his angels with regard to you,
to guard you wherever you go.

12 With their hands they shall support you,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.

13 You can tread upon the asp and the viper,
trample the lion and the dragon.

fyi about naming your guardian angel ...
217. Popular devotion to the Holy Angels, which is legitimate and good, can, however, also give rise to possible deviations:

when the daily events of life, which have nothing or little to do with our progressive maturing on the journey towards Christ are read schematically or simplistically, indeed childishly, so as to ascribe all setbacks to the Devil and all success to the Guardian Angels. The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.
Vatican Link
Oh wow. I never knew that.....
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerie114 View Post

Here is an answer from Peter Kreeft's Angels and Demons. I'm quoting from memory, so any mistakes ... mea culpa!
Since angels have no bodies, they have no sex, though they can still have what we perceive to be masculine and feminine attributes.
In other words, you have to have a physical body in order to be male or female. Angels are pure spirit and have no bodies!

EDIT: Dorothy is a much faster typer than I am!!!
(1 Thess 5:16)
Old Jul 2, '12, 10:56 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post

If you are interested in angels an excellent book is "Angels and Demons" by Peter Kreeft. It is an excellent Catholic book.

Thanks! I'll find it.

"Sometimes the only way the Good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality