Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 8, '12, 6:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Sins that cry out to heaven

According to the Holy Spirit speaking through the Holy Scriptures, there are four sins that cry to Heaven for vengeance.

From the Douay Catholic Catechism of 1649
CHAPTER XX - The sins that cry to Heaven for vengeance
Q. 925. HOW many such sins are there?
A. Four.
Q. 926. What is the first of them?
A. Wilful murder, which is a voluntary and unjust taking away another’s life.
Q. 927. How show you the depravity of this sin?
A. Out of Gen. iv. 10. Where it is said to Cain “What hast thou done? the voice of the blood of thy brother crieth to me from the earth: now, therefore shalt thou be cursed upon the earth.” And Matt. xxvi 52, “All that take the sword, shall perish with the sword.”
Q. 928. What is the second?
A. The sin of Sodom, or carnal sin against nature, which is a voluntary shedding of the seed of nature, out of the due use of marriage, or lust with a different sex.
Q. 929. What is the scripture proof of this?
A. Out of Gen. xix. 13. where we read of the Sodomites, and their sin. “We will destroy this place because the cry of them hath increased before our Lord, who hath sent us to destroy them,” (and they were burnt with fire from heaven.)
Q. 930. What is the third?
A. Oppressing of the poor, which is a cruel, tyrannical, and unjust dealing with inferiors.
Q. 931. What other proof have you of that?
A. Out of Exod. xxii. 21. “Ye shall not hurt the widow and the fatherless: If you do hurt them, they will cry unto me, and I will hear them cry, and my fury shall take indignation, and I will strike thee with the sword.” And out of Isa. x. 1, 2. “Wo to them that make unjust laws, that they might oppress the poor in judgment, and do violence to the cause of the humble of my people.”
Old Jul 8, '12, 6:45 am

Default Re: Sins that cry out to heaven

Q. 932. What is the fourth?
A. To defraud working men of their wages, which is to lessen, or detain it from them.
Q. 933. What proof have you of it?
A. Out of Eccl. xxxiv. 37. “He that sheddeth blood and he that defraudeth the hired man, are brethren,” and out of James v. 4. “Behold the hire of the workmen that have reaped your fields, which is defrauded by you, crieth, and their cry hath entered into the ears of the Lord God of Sabbath.”

What would the report card of the United States look like? It looks like we are failing four out four. And it's not that we are simply committing these sins, we are approving of these sins and mandating these sins.

The US is the primary exporter of abortion to the world, not to mention the crimes in this regard within our own borders. That innocent bloodshed if there ever were.

The sin of Sodom includes not only sodomy, but also contraception in the "voluntary shedding of the seed of nature."
Old Jul 8, '12, 6:45 am

The third is the oppressing of the poor, orphan, and widow, and the fourth is defrauding laborers. The USA has its own poverty problem. The inflation of currency defrauds laborers - especially the retired who depend on lifesavings which are gradually devalued. And we could also speak of the exportation of jobs oversees and the slave labor arrangements in China that make our Walmart purchases all the cheaper.

Only one of these four sins is required to call to Heaven for "vengeance." Yet we have all four crying against us in the Heavenly court. We'll need a lot more than comic book Avengers this summer to escape the vengeance of the just and loving God who vindicates the murdered, abused, and afflicted.
Old Jul 8, '12, 9:50 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

I read that this morning too. I remember hearing about the concept in highschool, and I've often wondered how many Catholics have never heard of it. Scary, isn't it? Thanks for posting it for all to read!
Old Jul 8, '12, 12:17 pm
Prayer Warrior

I don't think they speak of it anymore.

I read it in my catechism which was printed in the 1920's.
Old Jul 8, '12, 1:58 pm

Thank you for posting!
Old Jul 8, '12, 2:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

So now I've been thinking about this all day. The murder and defrauding the laborer of his wage are crystal clear. But I have some questions about the other two.

Sin of Sodom. Wasn't that just homosexuality? Are we really supposed to read in any sexual license as well as contraception? I am not saying these aren't sins. But sins that cry to heaven?

Then the widow and orphan one. Can we also include children with only one parent, or children with two but who are neglected? And the widow. Could this also mean one who is a "widow" to her husbands drug habit? Or a "widower" to a wife in a persistent vegetative state?

I realize I am narrowing one and broadening the other. This is one reason im asking for someone to step in with some clarity.
Old Jul 8, '12, 2:33 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

And by contraception, when it kills the unborn child it falls under murder. But the spilling the seed thing was maybe referencing onanism or barrier methods or sterilization.
Old Jul 9, '12, 4:36 am

Religion: catholic

I understand these are sins that cry out to Heaven..., but can I just clarify something? Am I right in thinking these are all forgiven in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, as much as any other sin is?
Old Jul 9, '12, 6:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

You certainly don't hear anyone talking of the sin of sodom as a sin that cries out to heaven anymore. It seems to me we are to consider it on the same level as any type of fornication.

Personal Development for Entrepreneurs

OldTimeCatholic.com

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jul 9, '12, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
You certainly don't hear anyone talking of the sin of sodom as a sin that cries out to heaven anymore. It seems to me we are to consider it on the same level as any type of fornication.
I would disagree with this statement. Fornication between a man and a woman not married to one another, while gravely sinful, is still a natural act. Homosexuality is completely against nature and, as the Catechism says, homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. Our society has become so accepting of homosexuality that we no longer see it as depraved and unnatural, but that is exactly what it is. From the Catechism:
#2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
Down through history, every time a culture has reached the lowest levels of moral depravity, homosexuality has always been at the forefront. It is indicative that people have turned completely away from their Creator. That is why this particular sin cries out to heaven.

Discussion about God risks losing its interior strength, and witness withers, if not animated, sustained and accompanied by prayer.
Pope Benedict XVI
Old Jul 9, '12, 12:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
I would disagree with this statement. Fornication between a man and a woman not married to one another, while gravely sinful, is still a natural act. Homosexuality is completely against nature and, as the Catechism says, homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. Our society has become so accepting of homosexuality that we no longer see it as depraved and unnatural, but that is exactly what it is. From the Catechism:
#2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
Down through history, every time a culture has reached the lowest levels of moral depravity, homosexuality has always been at the forefront. It is indicative that people have turned completely away from their Creator. That is why this particular sin cries out to heaven.
I'm not saying I agree with the statement. I'm saying that seems to be the prevailing opinion, at least on CAF.

Personal Development for Entrepreneurs

OldTimeCatholic.com

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Jul 9, '12, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I'm not saying I agree with the statement. I'm saying that seems to be the prevailing opinion, at least on CAF.
It most definitely is not the teaching of the Magesterium of the Church. But if it is the prevailing opinion on this forum, then something is seriously wrong here.

Discussion about God risks losing its interior strength, and witness withers, if not animated, sustained and accompanied by prayer.
Pope Benedict XVI

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality