Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 9, '12, 3:25 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Haunted Houses and Traditional Blessing?

I watched an episode of A Haunting earlier today. In the episode a Catholic priest says Mass inside a haunted home, with the family. The spirits dont go away, so the priest brings a psychic! Later, the priest leads everyone in a general exorcism, which stops things a few months but ultimately does not remove the spirits /put them back where they belong.

What is the traditional Catholic treatment of a haunted house? Does the priest bless the house by sprinkling holy water in all rooms? Does he say a Low Mass on site? Just wondering.
Old Jul 9, '12, 3:46 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Haunted Houses and Traditional Blessing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan View Post
I watched an episode of A Haunting earlier today.
A TV show. Great. Like that is going to be accurate in any way, shape or form as it pertains to the Catholic faith.

Quote:
In the episode a Catholic priest says Mass inside a haunted home, with the family. The spirits dont go away, so the priest brings a psychic! Later, the priest leads everyone in a general exorcism, which stops things a few months but ultimately does not remove the spirits /put them back where they belong.
This is highly suspect. IOW, I doubt the veracity of this TV show.

Quote:
What is the traditional Catholic treatment of a haunted house?
Seriously?

There's no such thing as a Catholic liturgy for a haunted house.

Demons are real, "ghosts" are not. If someone believes they are being attacked by demonic forces, they should contact their priest who will work with someone who is trained to deal with demonic possession or phenomenon.

Quote:
Does the priest bless the house by sprinkling holy water in all rooms? Does he say a Low Mass on site? Just wondering.
Yes, a person can have their home blessed by a priest. There are standard prayers for blessing objects in the Book of Blessings. But this is a standard home blessing, nothing related to "haunted houses".

No, typically, a Mass should not be said in a private home.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 9, '12, 4:55 pm

A voudou priest is not a Catholic priest.
Old Jul 9, '12, 5:42 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Your're entitled to and have every right as a person to believe ghosts are not real. However, don't tell me or others ghosts are not real when you have never seen or experienced them before. Ghosts and demons are real, in my personal opinion. To say demons are real and ghosts are not sounds really silly to me. Despite that, I respect your opinions.

If a good Catholic feels their house and / or property is haunted, than I would recommened that they contact their local paranormal investigation organization, and if they do find something paranormal going on, than that is when you should contact your local Catholic parish.

Peace
Old Jul 9, '12, 6:18 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would be very wary of anything espicially of that nature that is shown on TV... The messages are confusing at best... and worse... could be dangerous... I would question the validity of any Catholic Priest who would bring a psychic to an exorcism... The Bible is very explicit about dealings with so called psychics and mediums... Deut 18

Our Father...
Hail Mary...
Glory Be...
St Michael the Arch Angel...

Pray, Hope and don't Worry! ( Padre Pio )

Old Jul 10, '12, 2:35 am
Banned

QUOTE by Jimmy Akin from www.catecheticsonline.com

"Ghost" is simply the German-derived equivalent of the Latin-derived word "Spirit." That's why the Holy Spirit is sometimes referred to as the Holy Ghost. Originally in English "ghost" and "spirit" referred to the same thing. Indeed, in German the word for "spirit" is still "geist." Rather than get hung up on semantics, we may wish to analyze claims about ghosts in terms of what we know about spirits.

First, spirits exist. This is a truth of the faith.

Second, spirits can sometimes manifest themselves to those in this life, as in the apparitions of the saints.”

---------------------------

The following paragraphs are from the Catechism of the Catholic Church

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.
Old Jul 10, '12, 4:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
No, typically, a Mass should not be said in a private home.
Though I agree with most of your post, I'd have to disagree with you on this part. Masses can be said at private homes. One example is for an Enthronement Ceremony to the Sacred Heart. http://www.catholictradition.org/Two...ronement-3.htm
We had this done at our home and it was very beautiful.

Another would be a Mass on a Rogation Day, which generally takes place on a farm of one of the parishioners from the church.

Of course, you did use the qualifier "typically", so I concede that you may have already been aware of these.
Old Jul 10, '12, 11:38 am

Quote:
I watched an episode of A Haunting earlier today. In the episode a Catholic priest says Mass inside a haunted home, with the family. The spirits dont go away, so the priest brings a psychic! Later, the priest leads everyone in a general exorcism, which stops things a few months but ultimately does not remove the spirits /put them back where they belong.

What is the traditional Catholic treatment of a haunted house? Does the priest bless the house by sprinkling holy water in all rooms? Does he say a Low Mass on site? Just wondering.
The Discovery Channel series A Haunting is not a good source of information about this topic, and many of the things portrayed on the shoes are inaccurate. It's a entertainment spook show "supposedly" based on "real" stories. Unfortunately, they are not, and many of the shows are based on the case files of the Warrens.

The series is antagonistic to the church and always portrays Catholic exorcisms being virtually ineffective, while portraying non-catholic and psychic "ghost removals" as effective. In short, if you're not knowledgeable on this subject, then the show can present an obstacle to your faith.
Old Jul 14, '12, 4:39 pm

Religion: RC

Generally as a rule a demon will not go until the source of why it is there has been discovered and remedied in the correct manner. Exorcist priest normally will have lay people working along them who have the gift of spiritual discernment - these people are normally very devote Catholics.

Now I am not sure if this 'psychic' was a gifted lay person or if the word has been used because the general public understands this term. I haven't watched this program.

Not all exorcisms work completely and many exorcists will continue to work with the person for many years after. Regular (yearly) house blessings are common in these situations. Holding a mass in the home in no unheard of either.

It isn’t enough just to wish for change and watch others take the reigns; we all have a role to play in this spiritual battle between good and evil.

Old Jul 15, '12, 1:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity View Post
Now I am not sure if this 'psychic' was a gifted lay person or if the word has been used because the general public understands this term. I haven't watched this program.
I have seen these shows myself. I watched them to compare with my studies on the subject of Spiritual Warfare. They are most likely not using the word "psychic" to mean "sensitive" or "charismatic". Many of the episodes come from the case book of the Warren's. They were the people involved in promoting the Amytiville Hoax. The information in the Discovery Channel series is highly inaccurate. It is not to be trusted.

If people emulate what they see on this show, they could end up in real spiritual trouble (the kind that leads to having to seek out an exorcist).
Old Jul 15, '12, 7:43 am

Didn't Jesus himself admit that ghosts exist when he said to his deciples in Luke 24:39, "See by my hands and my feet that it is I myself. Touch me and see for yourselves; a ghost has no flesh and bones as you can see I have."
Old Jul 15, '12, 4:53 pm

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
If people emulate what they see on this show, they could end up in real spiritual trouble (the kind that leads to having to seek out an exorcist).
People are doing this sort of thing on their own already. Most do not have strong religious ties or a strong believe system and do not think to seek the assistance of the Church.

It isn’t enough just to wish for change and watch others take the reigns; we all have a role to play in this spiritual battle between good and evil.

Old Jul 18, '12, 7:19 am

I get a kick out of that show, but keep in mind it's a dramatization, and they use creative license when telling the stories. I would not trust that one to be accurate where the church is concerned.
Other ghost series I have seen have used priests in a much more realistic way. They have counseled and blessed the paranormal investigators to help them rid themselves of evil spirits, but that was an extreme case. In another show, the priest did do an exorcism and house cleansing, and it worked.

There are different types of hauntings. Beside the demonic, which should be only handled by the Church, there are intelligent and residual hauntings. Residual are just slivers of time being replayed, and nothing to worry about. Intelligent are those spirits that are actually here, whether because of a traumatic death, sudden death, fear of what's to come, or some other reason. They are humans like us, but just confused, or angry, or loving. It's hard to put labels on them. They are as individual as living humans.
If in doubt as to what situation you have, contact your local Church.
Old Jul 18, '12, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsull View Post
There are different types of hauntings. Beside the demonic, which should be only handled by the Church, there are intelligent and residual hauntings. Residual are just slivers of time being replayed, and nothing to worry about. Intelligent are those spirits that are actually here, whether because of a traumatic death, sudden death, fear of what's to come, or some other reason. They are humans like us, but just confused, or angry, or loving. It's hard to put labels on them. They are as individual as living humans.
Hauntings are either the result of souls from purgatory, demonic activity, or human manifested paranormal activity (as in the case of some poltergeist cases). "Intelligent" hauntings should be applied to cases where the haunting exhibits evidence of an intelligent being at work and should not having anything to do with the mode of death. Places where evil has happened does attract demons. It is possible a soul may be serving their purgatorial time in the place of their demise, but that is by no means a standard: only one of many possibilities. The jury is still out concerning the hypothesis of residual hauntings.

The thing is that your chosen description is one that might be expected from television shows on the paranormal. I wouldn't call it accurate, and it is a prime example as to why someone should not be taking television documentaries as a source of information.

Fr. Ripperger's Seminar on Spiritual Warfare is on this page. This is a nice crash course for the uninformed.

http://www.sensustraditionis.org/multimedia.html

For more information see my list of resources concerning exorcists, which I've posted here at CAF in the past. The list is in these these individual forum posts.You'll find several EWTN audio programs to listen to on the subject.

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....32&postcount=7
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....9&postcount=10
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....3&postcount=11
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....5&postcount=13
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....1&postcount=16

I'm constantly adding to my library of information. One book I've just run across is Renewal and the Powers of Darkness by Cardinal Suenens. I have not read this yet, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. The foreword for the book was written by Pope Benedict XVI (then Cardinal Ratzinger).

Also, there is a book mentioned in the audio program by Fr. Groeschel, which would be valuable if you can find a copy of it. The book is called Satan by Fr. Bruno de Jésus-Marie (père, O.C.D.). The book is now rare, but I was able to track down the name and publisher from an old Time magazine article.

Purgatory: Explained by the Lives of the Saints by Fr. F.X. Shouppe, S.J. is another good reference resource.

This should get anyone started. There are many excellent resources on the subject. You just have to dig through reliable Catholic resources to find them.
Old Jul 19, '12, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyTrinity View Post
People are doing this sort of thing on their own already. Most do not have strong religious ties or a strong believe system and do not think to seek the assistance of the Church.

Very well said.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism