Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 11, '12, 6:10 pm

Arrow Does the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Need to Be Blessed before Wearing?

I ordered from http://www.freebrownscapular.com/order_page.html

I received today and started wearing it, but wondering if it needs to be blessed by a priest to be worn?
Old Jul 11, '12, 6:23 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Does the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Need to Be Blessed before Wearing?

I actually signed up today just so I could post a similar question! In my case, the scapular was given to me by a priest, but I honestly don't know if he blessed it or not and there was no formal "investing" ceremony. I've been wearing it for some time now, and had been simply praying the rosary every day because that's what a friend told me I was "supposed" to do. However, today I did some reading on my own online and I saw I need permission from a priest to substitute the rosary for the Little Office of Our Lady? Is this correct? Is it simply a matter of asking, or would permission only be granted in some extreme circumstance? I don't own the Little Office, but of course am willing to purchase it if needed. Would the Little Office then be said in addition to my recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours (I'm a seminarian, so I pray all 5 hours daily)? Just looking for clarification. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, '12, 6:35 pm

Default Re: Does the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Need to Be Blessed before Wearing?

A carmelite priest who invested me with the scapular told me I just have to live a good christian life and pray everyday whether it is the rosary, one of the hours of LOTH or maybe if I am busy pray a part of the psalms or at least offer up everything I do to God by remembering God in my daily works (mental prayer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousBlonde View Post

I received today and started wearing it, but wondering if it needs to be blessed by a priest to be worn?
If you have been invested with the brown svapular before there's no need for a second blessing, although there's nothing wrong asking a priest to bless your scapular. I had to wait for a year before I finally met a carmelite priest to invest me with the brown scapular. most of the priest whom I met did not bother to invest me with the brown scapular even when I showed them the formula. I guess most priests nowadays do not consider sacramentals as something that is important in christian life
Old Jul 11, '12, 7:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Your first scapular should be blessed and you also should be enrolled by a priest. All scapulars after the first do not need to be blessed.

http://www.freebrownscapular.com/bro...nrollment.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbell4484 View Post
I actually signed up today just so I could post a similar question! In my case, the scapular was given to me by a priest, but I honestly don't know if he blessed it or not and there was no formal "investing" ceremony. I've been wearing it for some time now, and had been simply praying the rosary every day because that's what a friend told me I was "supposed" to do. However, today I did some reading on my own online and I saw I need permission from a priest to substitute the rosary for the Little Office of Our Lady? Is this correct? Is it simply a matter of asking, or would permission only be granted in some extreme circumstance? I don't own the Little Office, but of course am willing to purchase it if needed. Would the Little Office then be said in addition to my recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours (I'm a seminarian, so I pray all 5 hours daily)? Just looking for clarification. Thanks!
I just looked this up to try to help. What you mention is called the Sabbatine privilege. I personally pray the rosary. The only things I seem to find about it seem to indicate you need a priests permission to substitute the rosary for the office. I did not know this before.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13289b.htm

"It is permitted to the Carmelite Fathers to preach that the Christian people may piously believe in the help which the souls of brothers and members, who have departed this life in charity, have worn in life the scapular, have ever observed chastity, have recited the Little Hours [of the Blessed Virgin], or, if they cannot read, have observed the fast days of the Church, and have abstained from flesh meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays (except when Christmas falls on such days), may derive after death — especially on Saturdays, the day consecrated by the Church to the Blessed Virgin — through the unceasing intercession of Mary, her pious petitions, her merits, and her special protection.

----

The Sabbatine privilege thus consists essentially in the early liberation from purgatory, through the special intercession and petition of Mary, which she graciously exercises in favour of her devoted servants preferentially — as we may assume — on the day consecrated to her, Saturday. Furthermore, the conditions for the gaining of the privilege are of such a kind as justify a special trust in the assistance of Mary. It is especially required of all who wish to share in the privilege that they faithfully preserve their chastity, and recite devoutly each day the Little Hours of the Blessed Virgin. However, all those who are bound to read their Breviary, fulfil the obligation of reciting the Little Hours by reading their Office. Persons who cannot read must (instead of reciting the Little Hours) observe all the fasts prescribed by the Church as they are kept in their home diocese or place of residence, and must in addition abstain from flesh meat on all Wednesdays and Saturdays of the year, except when Christmas falls on one of these days. The obligation to read the Little Hours and to abstain from flesh meat on Wednesday and Saturday may on important grounds be changed for other pious works; the faculty to sanction this change was granted to all confessors by Leo XIII in the Decree of the Congregation of Indulgences of 11 (14) June, 1901."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien88 View Post
guess most priests nowadays do not consider sacramentals as something that is important in christian life
I really love the brown scapular and I hope in charity that this is not true. When my pastor initiated us in grade school, I didn't understand the concept (especially the promise) and abused it with a poor superstitious disposition. Through many obstinate and ungrateful years Mary thought me the importance of the rosary and lead me back to God and to a deeper prayer life and I did not think I even knew of the requirements for the sabbatine privilege before hand.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph We LOVE You, Save Souls!

Last edited by Kontrak; Jul 11, '12 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jul 11, '12, 7:19 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeousBlonde View Post

Many people these days see the Brown Scapular as another kind of sacramental in the Church (which you simply get blessed and then wear like one does with medals). Many do not take the time you did to seek clarification on the matter. The Brown Scapular is a type of spiritual discipline that people commit themselves to. They actually undergo an enrollment ceremony, such as found within this booklet. During the ceremony, the priest says a prayer over the scapulars and sprinkles them with holy water, but the primary focus of the ritual is that the recipient is being enrolled into this spiritual discipline.

Carmelite religious routinely offer prayers for the welfare of everyone enrolled in the Brown Scapular. In return, the following are their expectations for people who have elected to become enrolled (and I am drawing this from the above linked book, page 4):

1) frequent participation in the Mass and reception of Holy Communion;
2) frequent reading of and meditation of Sacred Scripture;
3) the regular praying of at least a part of the Liturgy of the Hours;
4) imitation of and devotion to Mary, the woman of faith who hears the Word of God and puts it into practice;
5) the practice of the virtues, notably charity, chastity (according to one’s state in life), and obedience to the will of God.”

Another section of this book says to also say three Hail Mary's a day.

I have seen some Carmelite websites speak of the option of praying the rosary instead of praying the Liturgy of the Hours, but nothing about this was mentioned in the book I have. How permissible this is, and under what circumstances, I can't say.

Praying the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary qualifies as praying a part of the LOTH.
Old Jul 11, '12, 7:28 pm

Here's a catechesis on the brown scapular

http:// http://carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.php
Old Jul 11, '12, 7:32 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbell4484 View Post
I actually signed up today just so I could post a similar question! In my case, the scapular was given to me by a priest, but I honestly don't know if he blessed it or not and there was no formal "investing" ceremony.
Please see what I presented in Post #5 about the blessing of the Brown Scapular and the enrollment ceremony.

Quote:
I've been wearing it for some time now, and had been simply praying the rosary every day because that's what a friend told me I was "supposed" to do.
According to The Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel: Catechesis and Ritual, those enrolled into the Brown Scapular are supposed to pray at least a part of the Liturgy of the Hours "regularly." The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary counts as praying a part of the LOTH, because it is taken from the Common of Mary in the old Roman Breviary. Some Carmelite websites say that a person can substitute praying the LOTH by praying the Rosary instead, but such a practice is not mentioned in the book I cited. Nevertheless, the book I cited is published by North American Provincials of the Carmelite Order, and should not be considered authoritative for all Carmelites, everywhere.

Quote:
However, today I did some reading on my own online and I saw I need permission from a priest to substitute the rosary for the Little Office of Our Lady? Is this correct? Is it simply a matter of asking, or would permission only be granted in some extreme circumstance? I don't own the Little Office, but of course am willing to purchase it if needed. Would the Little Office then be said in addition to my recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours (I'm a seminarian, so I pray all 5 hours daily)? Just looking for clarification. Thanks!
Actually, in praying 5 offices of the LOTH each day you are more than accomplishing the Carmelite rule to "regularly pray a part of the LOTH." Although praying the rosary is, of course, very commendable and spiritually enriching, it does not factor in your own particular circumstances regarding Brown Scapular spirituality. The same can be said of the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary (because you are already praying the LOTH, you need not use the Little Office as a substitute).
Old Jul 11, '12, 8:34 pm
Observing Member

Thank you all so much for the prompt responses! You've been incredibly helpful!
Old Jul 11, '12, 10:05 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

i got some free brown scapulars , and I printed out the Enrollment and took it to the priest at my church and we went through the enrollment, It was a good day

http://freebrownscapular.com/brown_s...nrollment.html

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Aug 5, '12, 5:23 pm

What if you were invested in the scapular years ago? Do you need to go through it again? I know I received one around the time of my First Communion. I can't remember if it was at the same Mass or a separate one, but someone other than our priest (either a visiting priest or our bishop) said some prayers over the scapulars, sprinkled them with holy water, then placed them over our heads as we knelt at the altar rail. I don't think they told us much about them as I only wore mine for a few days then put it with my rosary and eventually threw it away in high school or college (I honestly didn't know better). I recently got a new one, had my priest bless it and started wearing it again. I'm just not sure if I should be doing anything else with it.
Old Aug 5, '12, 5:50 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have a Scapular, but don't know how to wear it
Old Aug 5, '12, 6:10 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acacia12 View Post
I have a Scapular, but don't know how to wear it

you put on and wear it like a necklace to and remember as a sign of Mary's motherly protection and as a personal commitment to follow Jesus in the footsteps of his Mother, the perfect model of all his disciples

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality