Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 15, '12, 5:58 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Bibles and Beer

Quote:
Every Monday night, Uncle Charlie’s bar in Cheyenne, Wyo., hosts “Bibles and Beer,” a discussion that routinely pulls in people of all faiths — and an atheist.
Quote:
Across the country, faith is becoming bar talk. The trend combines the traditional religious charge to go where the people are with the reality that a lot of them are in bars. Organizers include those from mainline churches, those building churches and bar owners and brewers. Some are trying to push the model nationally, taking an ageless yearning for meaning and purpose to places where people often go to try to wash their worries away.
More....
http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-n...ge-to-taverns/
Old Jul 15, '12, 6:01 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy
Default Re: Bibles and Beer

Sounds ideal
Old Jul 15, '12, 6:06 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

We've got Theology on Tap around here. It's great!

My family has been sitting around the dinner table drinking beer and talking Scripture and theology as long as I can remember.
"Try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:10)

Read the Bible and study the Catechism.

Old Jul 15, '12, 6:09 am

This is awesome. We need to go where the people are going to. Why not to a bar?

On a similarly-themed topic, I remember Tim Staples on Catholic Answers Live being asked if it was okay to go on vacation to a place that does not have a Catholic Church. And Tim said it very well can be acceptable since it is those places that need to be evangelized the most. He and his wife have done that before, where they have gone on vacation that did NOT have a Catholic Church for the specific purpose of evangelizing the Catholic faith to those who do not have it.

One would not normally think of evangelizing in a bar, but why not? So many people are there, and they need to grow more in the faith then anybody and everybody else.
Old Jul 15, '12, 6:15 am

Religion: catholic

Just seen this story on fox news. Father jonathan morris commented about this saying he thought it was a great idea but asked the guy who is pushing this does he agree that there should still be a place for reverence and worship and going to church. The guy had made a comment that people are tired of the way churches act and some dont want to get dressed for church and a few other complaints i cant remember. I am not sure how i view this, the church definitely should never comform to the world and a bar should never replace a church in any way shape or form. I guess if it just a form of evangelizing to get people in church then that is great, but if it becomes the church then there is the problem.
Old Jul 15, '12, 7:01 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

I wonder if there is Theology on Tap somewhere in my area. I've always wanted to check it out.

"Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur"
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis
Old Jul 15, '12, 8:05 am

Religion: Catholic- Home at Last!

I have always had my own "bar ministry" meaning at restaurants my husband and I like we have gotten to know regulars and I have spent my share of time just listening and offering to pray for them and have offered my own witness when appropriate. Nothing heavy, but a couple glasses of wine seems to give me a bit of courage Anyway, we can be witnesses for Christ whever we go and usually that means really listening to those in pain- I had one lady tell me that no one has ever really bothered to hear her story before and really listen to her. If we just stay in Church and don't take it to the streets we are not doing what Christ has asked us to do. Anything that gets the message out there to a hurting world works for me!

Blessings,

Val
Old Jul 15, '12, 8:08 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

There needs to be Theology on Tap here in the Philippines!

Last edited by Crescentinus; Jul 15, '12 at 8:21 am.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:40 am
Trial Membership

I have a problem seeing how alcohol and the gospel can readily work together. I had to recently drop a friend from facebook due to her pushing the bar scene on her friends and I objected to it as being potentially immoral and against the faith based way of life that the gospel preaches.....I still don't see how the alcoholic bar can be a good place to minister. But I would welcome any other reasons that you might conjure up as to why bars and gospel can be valid.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:42 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy

We're not talking about binge drinking while talking theology, of course.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:44 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo ergo sum View Post

We're not talking about binge drinking while talking theology, of course.
I don't know.....
Bibles and WINE might just go a direction none of us would want to see.
Old Jul 15, '12, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Chung View Post
I have a problem seeing how alcohol and the gospel can readily work together. I had to recently drop a friend from facebook due to her pushing the bar scene on her friends and I objected to it as being potentially immoral and against the faith based way of life that the gospel preaches.....I still don't see how the alcoholic bar can be a good place to minister. But I would welcome any other reasons that you might conjure up as to why bars and gospel can be valid.
Its not the "bar scene" when Theology on Tap is taking place. There is nothing immoral taking place during Theology on Tap. Drinking alcohol is not an immoral activity and certainly discussing theology with a group of friends and priests is not an immoral activity either. So having a beer or a glass of wine or other adult beverage with discussing theology wouldn't equal an immoral activity taking place. Usually the places that the group picks around me to hold this event is a restaurant that you might go out with a group of your friends to share a meal but there also happens to be a bar also. So people go up to the bar, get a drink and then sit around discussing theology. People are very well behaved and modestly dressed.
Old Jul 15, '12, 3:21 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Discerning

An Irishman moves into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walks into the pub and promptly orders three beers.

The bartender raises his eyebrows, but serves the man three beers, which he drinks quietly at a table, alone.

An hour later, the man has finished the three beers and orders three more.

This happens yet again.

The next evening the man again orders and drinks three beers at a time, several times. Soon the entire town is whispering about the Man Who Orders Three Beers.

Finally, a week later, the bartender broaches the subject on behalf of the town. "I don't mean to pry, but folks around here are wondering why you always order three beers?"

'Tis odd, isn't it?" the man replies, "You see, I have two brothers, and one went to America, and the other to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order an extra two beers whenever we drank as a way of keeping up the family bond."

The bartender and the whole town was pleased with this answer, and soon the Man Who Orders Three Beers became a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet, even to the extent that out-of-towners would come to watch him drink.

Then, one day, the man comes in and orders only two beers. The bartender pours them with a heavy heart. This continues for the rest of the evening - he orders only two beers. The word flies around town. Prayers are offered for the soul of one of the brothers.

The next day, the bartender says to the man, "Folks around here, me first of all, want to offer condolences to you for the death of your brother. You know-the two beers and all..."

The man ponders this for a moment, then replies, "You'll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well... It's just that I, myself, have decided to give up drinking for Lent."

But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.Gal 3:25-26
Old Jul 15, '12, 4:34 pm
Forum Elder

Tweets which mention beer or church, mapped by counties of the US. Data collected June 22, 2012 - June 29, 2012

(click on picture to make it bigger)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeervsChurchTweets.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	14376  
Old Jul 16, '12, 12:28 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

I don't have anything to add to the thread, but when beer and Bibles are mentioned, it seems appropriate for a Lutheran to say something.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions