Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 5, '12, 12:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
Just a quick update. Me chat with me priest has to wait until he gets back from his vacation.
I've waited this long- a week or two's not a problem.
God bless,
Hallam

Hallam:

Yes, I suggest to talk to your parish priest first. You sound like he knows you too, so you won't be a stranger.

Just FYI - some religious orders have a cutoff at 40. The reason for this IMHO is the time it takes for formation. Also, a younger man will normally be able to adapt faster to change than say, a 37 year old who has been on his own since he was 25. The period of adjustment (I liked what Fr. Donald Calloway called this - "Spiritual Boot Camp") can be tedious.

My understanding is age requirements vary between dioceses - if you are considering diocesan priesthood. Some are examined on a "case-by-case" basis. I know of one diocese that is hesitant to take men over 45 who do not already have 4 year college degrees.

The Armed Forces has a cutoff age for Catholic Chaplains too, particularly for those who haven't had prior military service before entering seminary. Forty-two (42) is often the high limit for a military chaplain, but sometimes waivers are granted. Much of this has to do with the fact that a Catholic priest (as well as other denominations) must meet certain physical requirements to serve in the Army, Air Force, or Navy. Others have to do with the fact that the Armed Forces is young (18 to 45 primarily), and some age requirements have to do with being eligible for a 20 year retirement (I may post something about this later).
Old Aug 6, '12, 6:09 am

Religion: Catholic, w. an eastern philosophy streak.

The OP is from the UK and they might or might not have different rules over there. In the US most Religious Orders do not accept anyone over 38 and some over 35. The only exceptions to this is when the aspirant has worked for at least 2 years or more, preferably more, with members of the Order. For instance, if you worked at Jesuit high school at some capacity that exposed you Jesuit life and from there applied to join that Order, if you were a deacon or a sacristan at a parish conducted by Capuchins and then applied to join them, etc. Other cases involve the acceptance of exceptional people over 38.
In the case of the dioceses, they might be a bit more lenient, but as someone has already said, they require a bachelor's degree if one is a certain age. So, a man must have a four year college degree before he turns 50 and that's cutting it really close. But, in my opinion, if they seemed to be interested in you somewhere along the discernment process, turning 51 at the end of it will most likely not disqualify you, especially if you've done well in your parish and in school. Of course one has to be active in the parish for some time. So, I think you're fine.
Old Aug 6, '12, 10:30 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
Hi,
a vocation has been on my mind recently. My question would be, however, is am i too old? I'm 40, be 41 this October coming.
God bless,
Hallam
I know someone who had a career in stage acting and the entertainment biz and became a priest in his 60s
Old Sep 15, '12, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facite View Post
You are never too old to be called to the priesthood/consecrated life!
That is funny because I had tried for 3 years to join a religious order and ALL 25 told me NO I WAS TO OLD.They all stopped at 40ys and I was 55. I didnít even want to be a priest just a brother. Thy told me we were to set in our ways to spend money on us and then we leave. Then I found out I could become a diocesan hermit for a bishop and take vows under him and have followers, thus an order. (Canon Law #603) Then when there are a lot of us we can write Rome and ask to have them make us A New Order and there you have it. Now I have done just that;

Divine Mercy Brothers of Our Lady of Guadalupe DMB
For all men that were called by God but
men said you were too old,
may come and serve our Lord as Divine Mercy Brothers
We hope to become diocesan hermits for a bishop (Austin Tx)
and take vows with him and our charism will be the
Divine Mercy chaplet for souls, sick, dying and purgatory
We will be semi- cloistered, going out only for mass,
Eucharist adoration, praying for sick, food, and laundry
Any questions write to
[email protected] Facebook; divine mercy brothers
blog; dmbsfo.blogspot,com
Old Sep 16, '12, 9:55 am

The Norbertines of Daylesford Abbey, the Redemptorists and the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary accept men up to be 50 and maybe even older, in the case of the Norbertines. Only in that prticular Abbey though, as St. Michael's Abbey, also Norbertine, is about 35 yrs old the cutoff age. Also, the Dioceses, most accept men over 50, but most would ask for a bachelor's degree if you're a certain age. Some contemplative monasteries will also consider older vocations. However, most other Orders will not accept men over 40 and some 38 and even 35.
Old Sep 16, '12, 9:57 am

The Redemptorists that I mentioned in my previous post were the ones of the Baltimore province, which includes most of the East Coast. I dont know about their other provinces, which might have a different policies for age. Also, the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts includes all of the US. Daylesford Abbey of the Norbertines, however, is in Paoli, Pennsylvania.
Old Dec 28, '12, 10:07 am

Religion: catholic

Why is it that older men are considered great candidates but women are not
If one is called to religious life, when did God put an age restriction on it...
The communities have no right to say no based on age.....but they do it any way.
If there are any women out there over of any age that have been denied based on age , please email me.....
Old Dec 29, '12, 8:23 am

Benedictine Girl:

I know some houses of Religious Sisters have age restrictions, which may have to do with issues such as formation and the charism of the community, as well as the mission of the Religious Order.

Something you can do is look into a few religious orders and find out more about them. If you like to teach, look up the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. I also recommend the Nashville Dominicans. These two orders are strong and thriving, and have an average age under 40.

I often tell the younger ladies in college considering vocations to look at the Nashville Dominicans and the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. These two orders have thrived in part because quite a few religious orders that were strong 50+ years ago have watered themselves down, and lost their way. The JPII generation is looking for the truth, and the young ladies are finding that truth within the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist and the Nashville Dominicans.

If you are more interested in say, contemplative prayer and monastic life, you might want to look into some of the Carmelites. The superior could give you more information on formation.

Benedictine Girl, if you are older (I'll suggest closer to 50), I would look up the community started a few years ago by Rosalind Moss. I believe she is now known as Sr. Miriam. She is on Catholic Answers Live normally on Wednesdays, and her community is based in Tulsa.

Hope that helps a little.
Old Dec 29, '12, 8:32 am

Religion: catholic

Thankfully for your info......sadly both the communities you mentioed said no.....too old...54
And I haven't heard back from mother Miriam
Where in scripture does it say there is an age cut off for doing what God is calling us to do
Old Dec 29, '12, 8:35 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

If you are looking for a cloistered order, the Visitation Monastery in Mobile, Alabama accepts women up to age 60.

http://www.visitationmonasterymobile...de/Inquiry.htm
Old Dec 31, '12, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedictinegirl View Post
Thankfully for your info......sadly both the communities you mentioed said no.....too old...54
And I haven't heard back from mother Miriam
Where in scripture does it say there is an age cut off for doing what God is calling us to do
I would email Mother Miram - it took a couple of months for me to get a reply , but I did get one.

The Institute on Religious Life (http://www.religiouslife.com/) has a good search function - you can specify communities that accept older women.

- St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Oblate Sisters Of Mercy
Old Dec 31, '12, 6:22 pm

You may try to contact Gemma at [email protected].....she has started or knows of orders that do take older. She has help me and others find our place. Br Emile
Old Dec 31, '12, 6:26 pm

That's fine in general. One of the priests at my church was just recently ordained at 47 or 48.
Old Dec 31, '12, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedictinegirl View Post
Why is it that older men are considered great candidates but women are not
I see no evidence of this; if anything it's the other way around.
Quote:
If one is called to religious life, when did God put an age restriction on it...
The communities have no right to say no based on age.....but they do it any way.
Any religious community and its superior has the right to accept or deny any prospective candidate as it wishes, for any reason whatsoever. It doesn't have to justify its decision to the inquirer. It certainly is under no obligation to quote Scripture to support its decision. No person has the right to demand entry to any religious order.

If you want to be a consecrated religious and can't find an existing order that will accept you as a member, then start an order of your own, you are perfectly free to do so.
Old Jan 1, '13, 1:58 pm

I here all the time that a person they knew was ordained at 47 or 48 or older like 55. This is true but they are a diocesan priest, and a bishop can ordain any ages. But an order is different, they stop at 35 or 40 years and most men donít want to be a diocesan priest. This is what we are talking about when we say we were too old. Now I will say that if you become a Divine Mercy Brother of our Lady of Guadalupe DMB and we will be asking the bishop to take our vows with him. Now if you have a degree, then you maybe able to be ordained a priest. So if you are interested, then up us up at; dmbsfo.blogspot.com and write to [email protected] Br. Emile

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations