Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 15, '12, 10:32 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Receiving Holy Communion

If one attends the Saturday night vigil Mass, can they also attend the Sunday Mass and receive Holy Communion at both Masses, or must they only receive once during that time?

Thanks for any answers.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
Old Jul 16, '12, 3:47 am
Forum Master

Default Re: Receiving Holy Communion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernadetteM View Post
If one attends the Saturday night vigil Mass, can they also attend the Sunday Mass and receive Holy Communion at both Masses, or must they only receive once during that time?

Thanks for any answers.

Bernadette
Yes, they may. You may receive twice in one day, as long as the second time is at a Mass you have attended.
Old Jul 16, '12, 4:48 am
Forum Elder

Quote:

Thanks for any answers.

Bernadette
Of course. While you may receive twice on one day if the second is in Mass, you are asking about two different days therefore you are receiving once on each day.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 16, '12, 6:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Converting to Catholicism

Is there a reason for the "twice in one day" rule?
Old Jul 16, '12, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian_love View Post
Yes, priests often need to offer more than one mass per day!
Old Jul 16, '12, 9:36 am

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
If I remember right, it's to discourage scrupulosity. The rule is actually a bit more complicated than that -- twice in one day, but the second time must be at an actual Mass, and of course you can always receive Viaticum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actaeon View Post
Yes, priests often need to offer more than one mass per day!
Priests actually have to get dispensation from the rule IIRC. I think it comes automatically when they receive faculties from the bishop.

-- Pope Benedict XVI --
Old Jul 16, '12, 10:15 am

Quote:
A person told me that I was wrong for receiving at the Saturday Vigil Mass and also the next day a Sunday. I think he is under the impression that it was within a 24 hour period and that it is incorrect twice within a day. I recall that before Vigil Masses maybe the Church frowned on doing this.

Thanks for all the replies.

God Bless

Bernadette
Old Jul 16, '12, 10:34 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
A person told me that I was wrong for receiving at the Saturday Vigil Mass and also the next day a Sunday. I think he is under the impression that it was within a 24 hour period and that it is incorrect twice within a day. I recall that before Vigil Masses maybe the Church frowned on doing this.

Thanks for all the replies.

God Bless

Bernadette
Perhaps he is confused about the 24 hours. Because canon law defines the canons dealing with "days" as 24 hour time periods, midnight to midnight, unless a specific canon defines the time period differently.

The law regarding reception of the Eucharist speaks of twice in one day, therefore the "day" is midnight to midnight.

The anticipated Mass itself is not spoken of in those terms as it pertains to the Sundy Obligation. The law states one fulfills the Sunday obligation on the day (midnight to midnight Sunday) or the evening before (Saturday after 4 p.m.).

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 16, '12, 10:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Why is there a twice a day limit? Some churches have mass three times a day.
Old Jul 16, '12, 12:50 pm

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
It's in the Code of Canon Law:
Can. 917 One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 2.
The word "again" here is translated from the Latin iterum, which is more usefully translated as "one more time." So communion may be received (a) twice in one day, if (b) the second reception is at a Mass. The 921 section 2 provision relates to communication in the event of death, and so allows a person to receive Viaticum even if he's already received communion (once or twice) earlier in the day.

-- Pope Benedict XVI --
Old Jul 16, '12, 12:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post
It's in the Code of Canon Law:
Can. 917 One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 2.
The word "again" here is translated from the Latin iterum, which is more usefully translated as "one more time." So communion may be received (a) twice in one day, if (b) the second reception is at a Mass. The 921 section 2 provision relates to communication in the event of death, and so allows a person to receive Viaticum even if he's already received communion (once or twice) earlier in the day.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:28 pm

Quote:
To avoid the heresy of people thinking they get more graces based on the amount of times they received in a day.

The only vigil Mass you have to look out for is Easter Vigil because (normally) you will be receiving after Midnight. If for some reason you have to attend Mass twice during the day on Easter, you would not be able to receive at the last Mass.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:34 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
To avoid the heresy of people thinking they get more graces based on the amount of times they received in a day.

The only vigil Mass you have to look out for is Easter Vigil because (normally) you will be receiving after Midnight. If for some reason you have to attend Mass twice during the day on Easter, you would not be able to receive at the last Mass.
Oh, I understand. Thanks.
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:06 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

The last post confused me. What about going to First Saturday Holy Mass in honor of our Blessed Mother in the morning on Saturday and then again on Saturday evening at the Sunday Vigil Holy Mass. I think it is OK, but the last post confused me. Sorry to ask. Chris.
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
The Easter Vigil must begin in darkness. Civil twilight in the evening is technically when the center of the sun is geometrically 6 degrees below the horizon. At this time there's still enough light to see the horizon, but it's dark enough to see the brightest of stars in the sky. Complete darkness, however, begins sometime after the end of evening civil twilight. In our Archdiocese, Easter Vigil may begin no earlier than 8:30pm -- but that still leaves plenty of time to receive Communion before midnight.

It's the Christmas Midnight Mass you have to look out for (though I have heard of parishes that celebrate "midnight" Mass beginning at 10pm).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments