Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 16, '12, 11:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (newbie)
Default Communion on the tongue

I have decided that I would rather receive communion on the tongue rather than in the hand; I don't like touching the host (it seems rude, even though the discipline has changed so that it is no longer considered a sin). Is there a "proper" way to do this? How do I hold my hands? What do I do with my tongue and face (I think that I accidentally made a "demon-face" the first time I tried )? I already figured out that I don't open my mouth until after the priest says "receive" and I say "Amen".
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jul 16, '12, 12:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Communion on the tongue

Keep your hands together in the prayer position. After you say "Amen" tilt your head back, roll your bottom lip over your bottom teeth (it makes sticking your tongue out easier) and then gently hold your tongue out far enough that the host can be placed on it. If you try to force it, your tongue will be uneasy.

Be forewarned, some EMHC's are completely clueless about COTT and will try to give you a "blessing" or force it into your hands. If you find yourself having issues, I have found that kneeling makes it clear that you wish to receive on the tongue.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:12 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
Keep your hands together in the prayer position. After you say "Amen" tilt your head back, roll your bottom lip over your bottom teeth (it makes sticking your tongue out easier) and then gently hold your tongue out far enough that the host can be placed on it. If you try to force it, your tongue will be uneasy.

Be forewarned, some EMHC's are completely clueless about COTT and will try to give you a "blessing" or force it into your hands. If you find yourself having issues, I have found that kneeling makes it clear that you wish to receive on the tongue.
This is why I wish we could have the rails back...I'm not as young as I once was and getting up from my knees takes a bit longer than it used to...I'd love to receive on the tongue but am nervous to do so. And I would prefer to kneel while receiving.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:15 pm

Religion: Yes

I saw a women put her tongue out but the administor gestured quickly to her hands and she "reluctantly" complied.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:16 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryMonday View Post
I already figured out that I don't open my mouth until after the priest says "receive" and I say "Amen".
The priest says what?

In the OF, the priest should only be saying "The Body of Christ."
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
The priest says what?

In the OF, the priest should only be saying "The Body of Christ."
I missed that part of the OP's post. Knowing myself if someone said that to me, I would respond something along the lines of, "Receive what?". Why would I affirming my belief by saying "Amen" to someone telling me to "receive"? Things like this make me question whether or not some people actually believe in transubstantiation.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:59 pm

Tongues or hands, it does not matter.
Old Jul 16, '12, 2:29 pm

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic.

I recieve on the tongue. I first told my priest my reasoning was out of respect and he acknowledged that it was ok. Yet the first Sunday I went to recieve our lord, he started to give me a blessing then said "whoops! Haha, sorry Pete. The body of Christ" and proceeded to place it on my tongue. Awkward! Hahaha
Old Jul 16, '12, 2:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
I recieve on the tongue. I first told my priest my reasoning was out of respect and he acknowledged that it was ok. Yet the first Sunday I went to recieve our lord, he started to give me a blessing then said "whoops! Haha, sorry Pete. The body of Christ" and proceeded to place it on my tongue. Awkward! Hahaha
Yikes.

OP, if you are nervous go to the priest's line. They are usually more adept and familiar at giving communion on the tongue. I concur with the others on this thread, I have been receiving on the tongue for 3 years now, because my hands have been full with a small child. Keep your hands in a prayer position and after you say Amen, tilt your head back, and stick your tongue out and wait patiently. Don't move your head forward or back, and wait until the priest has withdrawn his hand before you pull the host into your mouth.
Old Jul 16, '12, 2:46 pm

I prefer receiving on the tongue. This is my reasoning for it. We are all sinners. Who are we to receive the Lord with the very hands we sin with? I'm not saying it is wrong to receive with their hands, nor am I trying to sway anyone's opinion or preference. Simply stating why I choose to receive on the tongue.
Old Jul 16, '12, 2:49 pm

Religion: Gnostic Christian

I've seen it done so many different ways, but generally you want to stick your tongue out a bit and rest it on your lower lip. If you don't stick it out at all, the priest has to basically shove it into your mouth, which isn't very sanitary. And if you stick it out too far, your risk the host falling off. Also, try not to lick the priest. If he can just rest it on the tip of your tongue, it should stick a bit, and you can pull it back in your mouth.

Keep your hands in a prayer posture, palms together. If you hold your hands out it can confuse the priest, so that he's not sure if you want it in the hands or on the tongue.
Old Jul 16, '12, 3:34 pm

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

It was many, many moons ago, and of course it was in the Usus Antiquior, but I recall Reverend Mother explaining how to do this: tilt the head backward a little and open the mouth about as wide as if taking a spoonful of cough syrup (not gaping wide as if in the dentist's chair!) and extend the tongue downward just over the lips. When the priest has released the host onto your tongue, draw it back into your mouth. It worked the first time and has every time since.
Old Jul 16, '12, 4:50 pm
Book Club Member

I've seen hands behind back and slightly open mouth with head slightly tilted back. I've never seen a priest misunderstand this. Actually, our priest mentioned to us that if you wish to receive COTT, try not to be ambiguous. He demonstrated this ambiguity by walking forward with his hands and mouth ready to receive.

So, basically, as long as you're clear, by your posture, that you are receiving on the tongue it should go (relatively) smoothly. I wish you well!
Old Jul 16, '12, 6:42 pm

If you can arrange to be holding a child... we... your hands are obviously occupied!
Old Jul 16, '12, 7:04 pm

Religion: Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies08 View Post
If you can arrange to be holding a child... we... your hands are obviously occupied!
This definitely helps. It makes it quite obvious that you cannot receive in the hand, although I must say that some people are still oblivious. I once approached for communion during one of those unfortunate flu seasons when our Bishop had made a misguided decision to restrict communion on the tongue until the "danger of infection" was gone. The EMHC was clearly uncertain what to do, as I could only receive on the tongue due to the baby in my hands. He gave me communion, but told me that he wasn't supposed to do it that way. I felt sorry for him, as he was just trying to be obedient to the bishop.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments