Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 21, '12, 2:09 pm
Banned

Default What does Acts 14:22 mean exactly?

Can someone please explain to me what Acts 14:22 means exactly?
Old Jul 21, '12, 3:13 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What does Acts 14:22 mean exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeOfLife123 View Post
Paul and Barnabas were Bishops, with all authority to ordain priests in every Church.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Old Jul 21, '12, 3:40 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 22. When they had ordained for them priests.[1] The Protestant translation, following the grammatical etymology of the Greek word presbyter, always puts elders. Yet they of the Church of England allow, and maintain, that by this Greek word in this, and many other places, are signified the ministers of God, known by the name of bishops or priests, according to the ecclesiastical use of the same word. It is evident that here are not meant elders, as to age and years. Nay, though we adhere to the grammatical signification, we should rather translate priests, since the English word priest, as well as the French word prÍtre, come from presbyter. But of this word more hereafter. We may also take notice, that the Calvinists here translate, ordained by election, pretending by the derivation of the Greek word, that church ministers were only chosen, and deputed by the votes and suffrages of people; and not by any ordination, or consecration by a bishop; nor by any character or sacrament of order. But their argument from this Greek word is frivolous, and groundless, as hath been shewn by Mr. Bois on this verse, by Mr. Legh in his Critica Sacra, &c. (Witham) --- We see from this text, 1st, that Sts. Paul and Barnabas were bishops, having authority to confer holy orders: 2nd. that there was even then a difference betwixt bishops and priests, though the name in the primitive Church was often used indifferently; 3rd. that fasting and praying were constant preparatives for holy orders. (Bristow)
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:32 pm

This is the text:

Like the 2nd poster says: it means that Saints Paul and Barnabas were Bishops and they ordained priests.

Other translations mis-translate this as elders, and by election, rather than priests, or presbyters and ordination or ordained.
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:48 pm
Banned

I don't understand. The version of the Bible that I was reading had this as Acts 14:22:

Quote:
They strengthened the spirits of the disciples and exhorted them to persevere in the faith, saying, "It is necessary for us to undergo many hardships to enter the kingdom of God."
I was hoping that that meant that suffering and hardships were in some way requirements for entering the Kingdom of Heaven. Which I thought went along with the many verses referring to suffering with Christ. That was a large part of my question.

I was referring in particular to the part where it seems to say that it is necessary to suffer hardships in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Is that true? Can that be one way to think of this verse aside from the answers given in this post already?
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:52 pm

That's the New Jerusalem Bible and the RSV, King James and the NIV has something similar:

Apparently there's two different manuscripts that the different translators are working from.

It's Acts 14:23 where the ordaining/electing elders/presbyters text comes in in the majority of texts.

Last edited by triumphguy; Jul 21, '12 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:05 pm

Quote:
I don't understand. The version of the Bible that I was reading had this as Acts 14:22:

I was hoping that that meant that suffering and hardships were in some way requirements for entering the Kingdom of Heaven. Which I thought went along with the many verses referring to suffering with Christ. That was a large part of my question.

I was referring in particular to the part where it seems to say that it is necessary to suffer hardships in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Is that true? Can that be one way to think of this verse aside from the answers given in this post already?
OK - it's a different verse. It's omitted in some bible translations but not in others.

The RSV says "Through many tribulations we must enter the Kingdom of God."

It is a fact that life, and the Christian Life where we are on a journey to God is littered with hardship.
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:16 pm
Banned

Thank you. Yeah I got confused. The answers you guys gave seemed quite different from the verse I was thinking of.

Evidently you seem to indicate that the verse is simple and to the point that it's part of the Christian life to have to endure hardships. Which I believe is compatible with the many verses in the New Testament in regards to suffering.
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:19 pm

I don't think it's more complicated than that. We will all suffer more or less than others. There's no particular merit to suffering - the merit comes in what we do with it. Do we learn from suffering? Do we accept it as a gift? Do we offer it up in participation with Christ's passion, death and resurrection?
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:35 pm
Banned

But I have an intuitive feeling that the Bible speaks of the necessity of suffering and I do not understand completely why. But when we align our own suffering to Christ's suffering it's a really good thing to do.
Suffering can do many things that are good for us. It can purify us of sin for example. It can turn us towards God and makes us know how dependent we are on Him. I can say clearly that the suffering I have endured led me to Christianity or played a major role in that and also has been very enriching spiritually when I align it to Christ's suffering. When we suffer with Christianity as our religion much good can come of it.
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:48 pm

All very true.

Suffering is a consequence of sin, and is part of our Fallen Nature.

Also, though I said the is no special merit to suffering, since we all do, Christ however, is found IN the poor, the little ones, and the suffering and they are very dear to Him - whether Christian or not..
Old Jul 21, '12, 6:11 pm

Christ and His Church are one mystical body of which Christ is the Head. The merits of the suffering of Christ, the head of the mystical body, are infinite and complete, sufficient for redemption. Our suffering does not add anything to that.

But just as Christ suffered in his body on the cross, his mystical body suffers in order to be in union with Him. It is a mission for all the faithful in the Body of Christ as a means of conforming ourselves to Him. The Church also suffers to build itself up, for example ministers who share the gospel suffer many afflictions to bring the gospel to people.

Saint Pual said "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church" Col 1:24

1 Peter is a great book of the bible that addresses suffering.
Saint Peter said
"In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

One quote from a saint that I like to ponder
"Persistently suffer hardships in order to avoid the hardship of vain suffering" Saint Gregory of Sinai
Old Jul 22, '12, 2:20 pm
Banned

I think that we are meant to suffer.
So I think that what this means is no matter what if God wants us to endure hardship then we must.
Pray can help at bringing occasional comfort and helping with the overall situation but I think it is still true that if we are meant to suffer from God we will have to.
Old Jul 22, '12, 4:46 pm

Religion: Catholic; eg: under the Pope -- love of Maronite rite too.

Quote:

Suffering hardship(s) is not always required in general.
This passage in particular refers to what priests will suffer during the birth of the church; eg: it's formation in in the pagan peoples against the will of the "Jews" -- and with respect to the particular flock these shepherds were given.

Notice, it is the Jews from Antioch and Iconium who bring about Paul's figurative death -- and Paul's likeness to Christ's Death & resurrection. v: 18

Paul then returns to these *VERY* places, Antioch and Iconium (v: 21) --- and it is in that context, that Paul says -- they must suffer many trials to enter the kingdom of God.

I am certain that Bishops and priests are assigned to a location, and if their superior does NOT move them; they remain in danger of those places.

So, it is pragmatically St. Paul's choice that they suffer these hardships, perhaps since he knew no better way to do God's will.

I'm looking at the passage's context again:

St. Paul was put to the test (trial) in VV. 10-12, where people prepared to worship Pau/Barnabas because of their priestly power (These two were the hand and eyes of God, so to speak from vv 8-9.), In order to overcome the temptation -- Paul rejects Satan's offer; and suffers the consequences VV. 18-19.

Then, the scriptures note something curious -- the "disciples" surround Paul's body. Or if you will, the "learners" surround him. There is no indication they did anything to Paul, nor did they take Paul *from* the city people, who dragged him out and left him thinking him already dead.

Essentially, those learning the faith -- found him dead, and then they witness him "rise" (Anastas AKA as if from the dead.) [ here's a lesson for the day, students! ]

This lesson of power of God and consequent suffering was also known of more ancient times, say in Wisdom 6:3-12; ( afaIk: There, the word disciple (learn) is used in Greek in vv. 9-10 for the first time in the OT)

One also has to consider that these people are witnessing Paul rising from a mortal encounter -- alive and well. it is, in effect, a miracle; which makes them more culpable for what they do later.

In light of all these things, then Paul tells the disciples about hardship to enter the kingdom of God -- and notice what he does to those who were just taught the lesson: "Then, they [Paul & Barnabas] appointed presbyters for them in each of the churches, and commended them to the care of the Lord in whom they had learned to believe."

The word for appointed, is not the usual one found in the OT and the NT.
It actually begins with the word for "hand", and is highly suggestive of the "Laying on of Hands" done by priests for two reasons -- One is to strengthen the ill (Anointing of the Sick), and secondly to pass on power to priests, bishops, deacons...

There is a possible inference to the anointing of the sick in vv. 21 where it talks about strengthening or fortifying the spirits of the disciples, although I think the passage is more concerned with the appointing of shepherds to be the "hand(s)" of Paul and Barnabas in those regions -- and also their successors.
Old Jul 22, '12, 5:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Paul then returns to these *VERY* places, Antioch and Iconium (v: 21) --- and it is in that context, that Paul says -- they must suffer many trials to enter the kingdom of God.
Well what I was hoping for was that that reference and part in the Bible could be made in regards to other types of suffering and trials. I didn't care much about the context as much as the actual application of that passage to other things as well. The notion that to enter the Kingdom one must undergo many trials and hardships. I think that is true and applicable to more contexts than just the particular context you are referring to that is associated to the part of the passage I was thinking of. I believe it can be taken out of that particular context and applied to other contexts as well. Or I think suffering in general.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture