Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 21, '12, 2:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Exclamation I don't know if My faith is being tested, need help. Shaken.

Hi everyone.
I don't know if my faith is being shaken or tested or I don't know. I am confused.
Earlier a person on my social networking profile posted a video to "try and educate us" that there was no God. Well, I simply commented that they can make as much of these videos as they want, but it wouldn't "disprove" what I have felt, and what I have seen.

Well, a poster later went on and cursed the living life out of everyone, and the bible. He basically said because I was a woman I should hold my tongue "b***h" "just like your bible says" and that in the bible woman could be sold for pigs. Me being a revert and not owning a bible of my own yet, I don't know if this is true. So just because I am a woman I can be sold for pigs? This makes me feel like I was just made to be a breeding machine. I feel so hurt. If the bible is truly all about love, why are these things in it? I don't feel loved, I'm starting to feel oppressed. I am crying right now because I JUST FEEL USELESS, AND I HAVE NO ROLE. It's not just this, but I just don't understand anything right now. All the violence in the bible and this, and woman having to submit to authority of men.

God has helped me so much in life, if it wasn't for him I probably would not be here.

I normally don't let people get to me like this, but it has been building up. I am swimming in my own sin right now because I have no way to get to confession, and If I decided to go it would be a 30 minute walk in 100+ degree weather.

PLEASE do not be angry with me! I barely know what I am saying, I just seek comfort and clarification.
Old Jul 21, '12, 3:40 pm

Default Re: I don't know if My faith is being tested, need help. Shaken.

I could be wrong, but that kind of stuff was how people interpreted the rules back then and not necessarily the message or laws of God.

Thats why Jesus came after all too, to set the record straight and to SHOW everyone how to live a good life.
Old Jul 21, '12, 3:47 pm

Send a message via AIM to Christmastwin

I can't respond from a biblical point of view... I'm a recent revert myself and much to learn. But what I can tell you is that Jesus treated women as he treated men. All were welcomed and loved.

I can understand where you're coming from. What has helped me a lot is just staying away from that stuff on the social networking sites. I stick to the positive stuff because all that nonsense gets me riled. And if someone posts a beautiful song or video about Jesus, I will look at the video and NOT the comments. Some are just hateful. There's a saying about contempt prior to investigation. Those who don't know Christ are clueless.

Pray for them.
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:30 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow +May God bless you abundantly on earth, and continue to bless you in Heaven+

Pray to God with humility sincerity and meekness. I hope you are answered, and realize that anything that tries or wills to shake your faith is a temptation that radiates off of the fallen spirit satan. I would start praying the rosary to ward off any evil, and to ask our lady to pray for you now and at the hour of your death, the divine mercy chaplet to receive mercy now and at the hour of death. Much love and empathy (As I am being tempted right now, but realize these times are used for us to grow in the faith, satan only is involved in the part of depriving you of your faith in this trial. I love you, and unite yourself to the Righteous One, Andrew.
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Newcomer

I'm a woman too and I've been there before. The degradation is sickening and that guy is a JERK. But pray for him. Your life is NOT meaningless and there's nothing to be ashamed about. Pray to Mary and the female saints and look at their lives. For example, there's Saint Rita of Cascia who had to put up with domestic abuse. There's also St. Maria Goretti who became a martyr when she was murdered when she tried to fend off an attempted rapist (who eventually repented and became a monk).

All of us have and will encounter this kind of abuse but that doesn't make them right.

Read the New Testament and how Jesus came in and told us how we've been living incorrectly and should change our lives. Remember the story about the 'casting the first stone'?

Stay away from those places, listen to beautiful music and do something to take your mind off of things. For instance, I've been taking care of kittens. They're small and won't grow up to get a job or anything like we do. But I hold them close to my chest, look into their eyes and remember that God is Love.
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:39 pm
Book Club Member

Toss this nonsense into the wind. (I mean that, pretend it's leaves that you are actually tossing) Turn back to our Loving Father who seeks to welcome and shelter you. Keep praying! Sometimes when we are becoming closer to God, the evil one strives to prevent that. You are in my prayers!
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:43 pm

Slavery is an intrinsic evil and in no way would it ever be permissable for a woman to be bought or sold in today's society. Rest assured, God values women exactly the same as men and thinks that slavery is repulsive and disgusting just like every other instrinsically evil act that goes on in our society.

The problem is that the issue of slavery is a societal evil and the bible is addressing personally morality when it makes statements that appear to be soft on the issue of slavery. The fact is that there is just nothing that an individual person could do in those days to not partake in the evils of a segragated society (to not partake in the evils of slavery would mean that a person would have to completely cut him/herself off from society and live as a hermit). God realized during the time of the old testatment that things wouldn't be changed over night and therefore offered rules to help a person conduct him/herself in a segregated society where slavery existed.

I mean, if you want to see an contemporary moral equivalent to slavery just look at the issue of poverty. For example, we could go as far as to say that it is immoral for us to dine at a fancy restaurant while there are people starving to death in Africa, but this just isn't the case. God very much teaches us to love our neighbour and care for the poor, but the issues in third world countries aren't going to end over night and God recognizes that we still have to live our lives in the meantime .

God bless and welcome back to the Church! Please don't let the mis-informed views of one person keep you from following through on the best decision that you ever made in your entire life!
Old Jul 21, '12, 4:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hi Maria,

Take a deep breath, girl. It'll be OK.

Don't let yourself be confused by others. Consider if your membership to the social site is worth getting worked up and questioning your faith. The internet can be a tough place - there is a lot of hate out there and the anonymity of the web makes people write stuff that is worse then anything they'd say. I'm not suggesting you stay offline, but the reality is that you might have to choose between protecting yourself (your faith, your sanity) over being part of the cyber group. Set some limits for yourself.

"God has helped me so much in life, if it wasn't for him I probably would not be here." This means He has His eye on you. Be still, and know He is God :-)

Lastly, go to confession when you can, and until then, say an Act of Contrition. This simple prayer *is* enough to tide you over, so don't let yourself think otherwise. The Prayer for Daily Neglects can also be of help. It isn't a replacement for confession, but it makes me feel much better when feel I am swimming in my issues, too.

Blessings,
P.

A Prayer For Daily Neglects

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all its love, all its sufferings and all its merits.

First -- To expiate all the sins I have committed this day and during all my life.

(Glory be to the Father and to the Son and the Holy Ghost as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.)

Second -- To purify the good I have done badly this day and during all my life.
(Glory Be to the Father...)

Third -- To minister for the good I ought to have done, and that I have neglected this day and during all my life.
(Glory Be to the Father...)

History of this prayer: A poor Clare nun who had just died, appeared to her Abbess, who was praying for her, and said to her, "I went straight to Heaven, for, by means of this prayer, recited every evening, I paid all my debts."
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:34 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

If the person is on your friends list then you would be wise to remove them. People who act in such a way are not friends. These persons behavior is rude and abusive. You can increase your privacy levels, and block such people.

If this person had read the bible he would have a better understanding.
No woman is sold for pigs, and women did speak up in the bible.
This person who abused you doesn't even know what actually is written in the bible.

The first miracle of Jesus recorded in the bible occurred because a woman spoke up. His Mother.

She noticed that the wedding hosts were about to endure 'social disaster', running out of wine at their wedding feast. She alerted Jesus to the problem.
He replied that it wasn't anything to do with Him and it wasn't yet time for signs/miracles.
However, she just told the wine stewards to do whatever Jesus told them.
And even though it wasn't time for Him to begin showing His godly power, Jesus changed the water into wine.
Because a Woman spoke up.

Martha and Mary spoke up, and they were friends of Jesus.
Mary sadly reproached Him because she said, that if Jesus had come sooner her brother would not have died...and many other instances. Yes, it was Jewish custom to place many restrictions upon women, but Jesus did not in His teaching, support that.

Apart from one man, His apostle John, none of His male friends stood by Jesus as He hung in agony one the cross. Apart from John, only the women were there to support Him.
And it was a woman to whom Jesus first revealed that He had risen from the dead and whom He allowed to be the person to announce the good news of His resurrection to His fearful apostles. These and other truths remain in the gospels of Jesus before all humankind throughout time.

Dear Maria, you appear to be not strong enough nor well informed enough at present to stand up to such people as these attackers. Please absolutely avoid them for your own sake.
May God comfort, inspire, and strengthen you.

Kind wishes and prayers,
Trishie
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Last edited by Trishie; Jul 21, '12 at 5:50 pm.
Old Jul 21, '12, 6:35 pm

Maria, there are many people on these sites who aren't the best people in the world. I've learned to stay away from them. Many just want to be angry and will attack anyone at anytime over anything. Stay away. It just isn't healthy.

I think many people have been treated the same way and that is probably why many come here to discuss things. It is better here.
Old Jul 21, '12, 6:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

I am sorry that an unbeliever treated you in this way (although we unbelievers do not consider ourselves responsible for what other unbelievers do - we are not a church, or even an organisation). There are in my view many reasons to reject biblical stories and beliefs, but unfactual nonsense aimed at upsetting and disconcerting people are not among them. You should come to your own conclusions based on your own study, take your time, and consider your decisions about belief in a non-emotional way. The person who behaved in this offensive way towards you was behaving in exactly the way we unbelievers experience from some religious people. Religious belief is not stupid, and neither is a lack of belief. People come to different conclusions and should be willing to debate with appropriate respect for the other. CAF is in general a good place for these debates to take place.
Old Jul 21, '12, 6:56 pm

Maria, Satan is real and present in our lives every day, as is evidenced by the person who posted those vile things on your social networking site. Satan can't stand that you are becoming closer to God and have reverted to the Church, so he is going to try to get to you through every nook and cranny to keep you from friendship with God. Remember Jesus saying "Get behind me Satan!"? Say it. Say it out LOUD anytime you feel threatened or useless or in doubt.

It breaks my heart that you don't yet own a Bible. I'm a revert, too, and since reverting I've been devouring my Bible, learning so much about God's love and his plan for us. If you want to send me a PM I'd be honored to mail you a nice study Bible.
Old Jul 21, '12, 7:02 pm
Banned

Women being forbidden to speak is from teh OLD laws that Jesus came to abolish. there are different kinds of laws in the old testiment, and many, we no longer need to follow.
Old Jul 21, '12, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokomai View Post
I am sorry that an unbeliever treated you in this way (although we unbelievers do not consider ourselves responsible for what other unbelievers do - we are not a church, or even an organisation). There are in my view many reasons to reject biblical stories and beliefs, but unfactual nonsense aimed at upsetting and disconcerting people are not among them. You should come to your own conclusions based on your own study, take your time, and consider your decisions about belief in a non-emotional way. The person who behaved in this offensive way towards you was behaving in exactly the way we unbelievers experience from some religious people. Religious belief is not stupid, and neither is a lack of belief. People come to different conclusions and should be willing to debate with appropriate respect for the other. CAF is in general a good place for these debates to take place.
Thank you.
Yes, I apologize to my atheist friend when she encounters "Christians by name but not by heart". So I am sorry about people like that too. I feel much better now honestly, this will happen every now and again, I am learning to stand my ground.

Thank you all for everything. So much.
Old Jul 24, '12, 1:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria1993 View Post
Well, a poster later went on and cursed the living life out of everyone, and the bible. He basically said because I was a woman I should hold my tongue "b***h" "just like your bible says" and that in the bible woman could be sold for pigs. Me being a revert and not owning a bible of my own yet, I don't know if this is true.
Maria1993, this person was trying to rile you up, to "hit you where it hurts" so to speak, by attempting to use your Bible and faith against you. When you encounter someone like this, just take a deep breath, relax, and examine the issue from a rational perspective. Biblical verses that come across as inflammatory have to be studied within their proper context (as related to the customs and societies of 2000 years ago). What seems incredibly harsh now was quite appropriate in the times of the Bible. Because the Catholic Church has been graced by the Holy Spirit to interpret the Bible, she is able to constantly guide us spiritually even in modern times. You're on CAF now, so you'll be armed with knowledge for future conflict with people like the poster.

I'm going to assume the poster was being very selective when he was searching for a biblical reference to the appropriate actions of women, ie: "holding one's tongue". I'm betting he was referring to Paul's letters to the Corinthians in which he admonished the women for speaking out in the church of Corinth and causing a disturbance. This was not a command to all women to be silent in all places, but rather for women to remain silent in places of worship in order not to cause disruption and usurp male spiritual authority. Were you both in a place of worship at the time he wrote that? I think not, so you can tell him to hold his own tongue.

Quote:
So just because I am a woman I can be sold for pigs? This makes me feel like I was just made to be a breeding machine. I feel so hurt. If the bible is truly all about love, why are these things in it?
Slavery was mentioned in the Bible because slavery existed at the time. Women were enlsaved, and so were men. Many instances of this are found in the book of Esther. The poster may have been referring to the practice of an Israelite father who could sell his unmarried daughter into servitude (though I believe the Talmud restricted this practice to a certain age with the intent that the girl would become married to her master once she was of age). However Maria1993, please keep in mind that Christians were not bound to all of the practices of the Old Testament, and all slavery was discouraged. So no, Jesus did not advocate that women "be sold for pigs".

Quote:
I JUST FEEL USELESS, AND I HAVE NO ROLE. It's not just this, but I just don't understand anything right now. All the violence in the bible and this, and woman having to submit to authority of men.
Nope. Only to her husband, which incidentally would mean that neither the poster nor any man other than your future husband has a right to expect your submission. And submission is to be freely given by the woman, with the expectation that a husband is to love his wife so much that he lays down his life for her. He is also expected to lead her toward good, and never into sin. When a man loves you that much, submission seems like a rather fair gift to give in return, does it not? The issues with wifely submission usually only arise once a husband has neglected to act in a way God has intended, and either fails to lead by example or neglects his duties to love and cherish. In that case, does he really have the right to expect anything from her?

Stay on these forums Maria1993, and keep asking your questions - I think the more you learn about your religion, it's attempts to afford the greatest dignity to each person, the more you'll grow to love and appreciate it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality