Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 21, '12, 5:06 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default good link explaining why we as Catholics can't receive communion in other churches

Hi, I'm currently sponsoring someone who asked if we are allowed to take communion in other churches. I told her no, of course, with a brief explanation that other churches don't have a valid eucharist (with the exception of the orthodox who don't want us to receive there), and that most of them don't even believe in the Eucharist anyway. Also that Communion implies complete unity which we do not have with them.

Anyway, I was hoping to send her an easy to read link that explains this a bit more in depth. Any suggestions? I like to use links because they can usually explain better than I can.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jul 21, '12, 5:34 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: good link explaining why we as Catholics can't receive communion in other churches

This may be what you are looking for...

http://www.catholicdoors.com/misc/ap...protestant.htm

Here is a thread from the forum where you might find some info....

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=603781

Also...do a search right on Catholic.com...

http://www.catholic.com/
Old Jul 21, '12, 7:04 pm

Default Re: good link explaining why we as Catholics can't receive communion in other churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc176 View Post

Here is a thread from the forum where you might find some info....

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=603781

Also...do a search right on Catholic.com...

http://www.catholic.com/
Hi, thanks for your answer. I have seen the first link and didn't really want to use it because of this line: "Only those who belongs to Rites that are in communion with the Roman Catholic Church can receive communion within the Catholic Church. This excludes the Orthodox and Protestant Churches because they do not hold the Catholic belief that Jesus is truly present in the Holy Eucharist."

This isn't accurate and I want to make sure all resources I share with her are completely accurate.

The other thread was helpful though. Thank you.

If someone has links similar to the catholicdoors one above, but more accurate, feel free to share them! I liked the layout of that link, short, easy to read, etc.

Old Jul 21, '12, 7:09 pm

Religion: Theravada Buddhist

Quote:

This link says that it is illicit for a priest to allow someone of the Eastern Orthodox Church to receive communion from a Catholic Priest. I thought that this was permitted under the reforms of the Second Vatican Council. Can anyone answer?
Old Jul 21, '12, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakmoon View Post
This link says that it is illicit for a priest to allow someone of the Eastern Orthodox Church to receive communion from a Catholic Priest. I thought that this was permitted under the reforms of the Second Vatican Council. Can anyone answer?
The Orthodox are free to receive in our Catholic Church. But we let it be known that we do not advocate them breaking the rules of their own Church (the Orthodox Church doesn't want her members to receive in the Catholic Church). There are a few pieces of misleading information concerning the Orthodox in that article.

Old Jul 21, '12, 8:37 pm
Forum Elder

Ecclesia de Eucharistia is a good resource, but might not be in the "easy read" category.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 21, '12, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Ecclesia de Eucharistia is a good resource, but might not be in the "easy read" category.
yes, I saw that, but don't think it would be easy to read/understand. thanks though.

Old Jul 22, '12, 3:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Hi, I'm currently sponsoring someone who asked if we are allowed to take communion in other churches. I told her no, of course, with a brief explanation that other churches don't have a valid eucharist (with the exception of the orthodox who don't want us to receive there), and that most of them don't even believe in the Eucharist anyway. Also that Communion implies complete unity which we do not have with them.

Anyway, I was hoping to send her an easy to read link that explains this a bit more in depth. Any suggestions? I like to use links because they can usually explain better than I can.

I apologize for the bad link. In my rush to post I just skimmed over the article. Not a good thing to do in any case but especially in regards to internet sources.

* [edited].....better get outa here and get to work before I do anymore damage. .......

Last edited by Jean Anthony; Jul 22, '12 at 10:27 am. Reason: no longer applies
Old Jul 22, '12, 8:34 am

Quote:
I apologize for the bad link. In my rush to post I just skimmed over the article. Not a good thing to do in any case but especially in regards to internet sources.

* [edited].....better get outa here and get to work before I do anymore damage. .......
haha it's ok!

Last edited by Jean Anthony; Jul 22, '12 at 10:28 am. Reason: no longer applies
Old Jul 25, '12, 10:36 am

Religion: Catholique

Any Sacrament used outside of the Catholic Church, including imitation of a Sacrament, is a sacrilege. This applies both to Protestants, Orthodox, SSPX, sedevacantists, etc. This is because schismatics are using Sacraments, which contain Divine Grace, outside of the one body established by God for this purpose, the Church. So, to receive Communion at any other Church, even an SSPX or Orthodox Church, is a sacrilege because it is partaking in Divine Grace (or imitation of) outside of the body God established for that purpose. The same applies for Baptism, Marriage, Holy Orders, etc.
Old Jul 25, '12, 10:53 am

Thumbs up Re: good link explaining why we as Catholics can't receive communion in other churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBlyleven View Post
Any Sacrament used outside of the Catholic Church, including imitation of a Sacrament, is a sacrilege. This applies both to Protestants, Orthodox, SSPX, sedevacantists, etc. This is because schismatics are using Sacraments, which contain Divine Grace, outside of the one body established by God for this purpose, the Church. So, to receive Communion at any other Church, even an SSPX or Orthodox Church, is a sacrilege because it is partaking in Divine Grace (or imitation of) outside of the body God established for that purpose. The same applies for Baptism, Marriage, Holy Orders, etc.
I like your explanation, it's very lay person friendly. Forgive me, I am not doubting you, but where did you get your information? Or are you just educated and can retain that information, unlike me! thank you for posting, and enlightening me too.
Old Jul 25, '12, 1:16 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Whoa! That's not right! If we have no other choice we can receive at an SSPX parish, and we can certainly marry in a Protestant church with a dispensation.
Old Jul 25, '12, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Whoa! That's not right! If we have no other choice we can receive at an SSPX parish, and we can certainly marry in a Protestant church with a dispensation.
Yeah that statement is not correct. In regards to the OP, I found a very good link that I sent to her.

Old Aug 1, '12, 10:26 pm

Religion: Catholique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
This is what the Church has always taught, and has been recently ignored. You can marry and you will be married, but that doesn't mean the marriage should have been done in a Protestant Church nor does it mean the ones who married/presided did not commit a sacrilege; however, there would be no guilt (to my knowledge) on part of the marrying couple, but perhaps on the minister and the Church hierarchy.

Regarding the SSPX, Rome has said you can receive Communion in a grave case. However, this does not mean the priest celebrating Mass does not commit a sacrilege by doing so; he might not be, the language has been somewhat vague between them and Rome. From what I've been told, you can fulfill your Sunday obligation but you should not receive Communion from an FSSPX priest. The SSPX can't both be outside the Church and having licit Sacraments, meaning not sacrilegious.

This is from an FSSP priest, but is laid out pretty clearly in the Summa. Where, I cannot remember, it has been years ago and it is far to late to bust it out.
Old Aug 1, '12, 10:50 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
This is not what the Church teaches. And believe me, I would really love to say that those who are not lock-in-step with Rome should have at the very best their Sacraments be doubtful, it not outright invalid. And yes, this includes the SSPX. But that is not what the Church says, therefore we cannot make any claim contrary to the Church's.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments