Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 24, '12, 8:59 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Statues of Mary and Joseph in Church

Hi all.

I am in the diocese of Dallas. We have a new church building in our parish and one of the things I miss that really helped with prayer and worship during the Mass or during private prayer were the statues of St Joseph and St. Mary in front at the sides of the sanctuary.

Other parishioners have evidently voiced their desire for there to be statues of the same saints in similar locations within the church. Right now the walls on both sides are bare. Our parish priest addressed this concern last Sunday and explained that the reason for there to not be statues had something to do with what our diocese allows.

I don't believe that he is trying to deceive us, but I think he may have the wrong information. I hate to ask him about this, because he doesn't respond well to differences in opinion, suggestions, or constructive criticism.

Does anybody know of what document I could start reading or where I could find the information about what's permitted in a church? I want to know if a diocese would actually not permit statues of Ss Mary and Joseph to be placed in certain locations in a church.

Thanks and God Bless!
Old Jul 24, '12, 9:55 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Statues of Mary and Joseph in Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumblessprimat View Post
Hi all.

I am in the diocese of Dallas. We have a new church building in our parish and one of the things I miss that really helped with prayer and worship during the Mass or during private prayer were the statues of St Joseph and St. Mary in front at the sides of the sanctuary.

Other parishioners have evidently voiced their desire for there to be statues of the same saints in similar locations within the church. Right now the walls on both sides are bare. Our parish priest addressed this concern last Sunday and explained that the reason for there to not be statues had something to do with what our diocese allows.

I don't believe that he is trying to deceive us, but I think he may have the wrong information. I hate to ask him about this, because he doesn't respond well to differences in opinion, suggestions, or constructive criticism.

Does anybody know of what document I could start reading or where I could find the information about what's permitted in a church? I want to know if a diocese would actually not permit statues of Ss Mary and Joseph to be placed in certain locations in a church.

Thanks and God Bless!
The only document I know that mentions statues is the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy
Quote:
125. The practice of placing sacred images in churches so that they may be venerated by the faithful is to be maintained. Nevertheless their number should be moderate and their relative positions should reflect right order. For otherwise they may create confusion among the Christian people and foster devotion of doubtful orthodoxy.

128. Along with the revision of the liturgical books, as laid down in Art. 25, there is to be an early revision of the canons and ecclesiastical statutes which govern the provision of material things involved in sacred worship. These laws refer especially to the worthy and well planned construction of sacred buildings, the shape and construction of altars, the nobility, placing, and safety of the eucharistic (sic) tabernacle, the dignity and suitability of the baptistery, the proper ordering of sacred images, embellishments, and vestments. Laws which seem less suited to the reformed liturgy are to be brought into harmony with it, or else abolished; and any which are helpful are to be retained if already in use, or introduced where they are lacking.

According to the norm of Art. 22 of this Constitution, the territorial bodies of bishops are empowered to adapt such things to the needs and customs of their different regions; this applies especially to the materials and form of sacred furnishings and vestments.

Old Jul 24, '12, 10:04 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Sift through your diocese's website. Many contain such things in a "building committee" page or something like that.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Jul 24, '12, 10:06 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Out of curiousity, what exactly does adorn your new Temple? Presumably there is an altar and crucifix. Anything else? Perhaps some religious art? Stations of the Cross?

It is difficult to make an honest comparison to other norms without understanding the whole picture, so to speak.

FWIW - I found this online photo gallery - In and Around the Diocese of Dallas

There seems to be quite a few statues featured, and the architecture of the various churches featured demonstrated a decent range of variation on classic styles.
Old Jul 24, '12, 10:18 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Converting to Catholicism

There is a statue of Mary in my parish behind the altar. A church I recently attended had two statues of St. Joseph and St. Jude in the back of the chapel. I have also seen a mass on the internet that had a St. Patrick and St. Brigid statues on either side of the crucifix.
Old Jul 24, '12, 10:19 am

If one is not afraid of stepping on toes of the pastor, email (phone etc) the Chancery. If the response is in the affirmative, one could write to Rome. If the Bishop and/or Priest is firm tho in their 'unusual' decree, there will be nearly nothing to change the situation.

A very sad situation. Remember to pray for them.
Old Jul 24, '12, 10:22 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTradCath View Post
Sift through your diocese's website. Many contain such things in a "building committee" page or something like that.
Good suggestion. Out of curiousity, I took a look at the diocesan website. There is a section on Diocesan policies. While there is one entited Celebration of Mass - Sacred Space, it does not cover this subject.

I took a look at the policy statement entitled Celebration of Mass - Postures. Some of the more traditional among us may find it interesting in certain places.
Old Jul 24, '12, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
Out of curiousity, what exactly does adorn your new Temple? Presumably there is an altar and crucifix. Anything else? Perhaps some religious art? Stations of the Cross?
The new Temple has what I believe are essentials. We have the altar and a large traditional crucifix in the sanctuary. We have stations of the cross plaques on the walls on left and right sides.

Also, we have a statue of Mary and St Joseph on one side towards the back. Its nice for private prayer and devotion. A marble "Pieta" on the opposite side donated by a lay person many years before any idea of a new church was going to be needed.

I still think it helps during the liturgy to have them or another set preferably in a different style statues of Mary and Joseph at the front somewhere helps with worship during the Mass.

But what I think really isn't that important. What matters is if the statues are permitted as we once had them before.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.
Old Jul 24, '12, 11:56 am

Religion: Ex-Jehovahs Witness

To me, this is a sad commentary on why the so many are either weak Catholics that don't go to Sunday mass or are leaving. I find statues are very helpful in my devotion and prayer. I have come back to the Catholic Church after 30 years. I found an FSSP parish where they have statues. I am a visual person and it helps me view Jesus or Mary or even how reverent I need to be. I can't exactly explain it but it helps. Honestly, if it wasn't for this parish, I don't think I would be nearly as devoubt as I am. Why after 1900 years of using statues in our faith, are they suddenly bad. I know Protestants don't like them but I thought we were Catholic.

Does anyone ask why Traditional Latin churches are full and exciting, why Tradional Latin seminaries are overflowing, but why regular 'modernist' churches are dying with no young people? I don't think it is because we just like statues, I think it is a blessing by Gods Holy Spirit. I don't know what it is by that FSSP parish that has struggled to survive while Bishops and other parishes fought to keep it out, is now thriving with about half the people in church under the age of 30. Thanks be to God for our many blessings.
Old Jul 24, '12, 12:18 pm

I don't think there would be any harm in asking the priest one on one to clarify the diocesan rules that prevent the statues from being up by the altar. Why not ask him personally to expand on his announcement on Sunday? There could be a way of doing it without sounding like you're accusing him but you're more the curious parishoner and want to learn more about your diocese.
Old Jul 24, '12, 12:33 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceA View Post
I don't think there would be any harm in asking the priest one on one to clarify the diocesan rules that prevent the statues from being up by the altar. Why not ask him personally to expand on his announcement on Sunday? There could be a way of doing it without sounding like you're accusing him but you're more the curious parishoner and want to learn more about your diocese.
Good advice, yet it does beg the question why any diocese would consciously suppress the use of statues, particularly of Mary and Joseph, which have long adorned Catholic churches in America.
Old Jul 24, '12, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
Good advice, yet it does beg the question why any diocese would consciously suppress the use of statues, particularly of Mary and Joseph, which have long adorned Catholic churches in America.
That's probably why I would ask myself if I was the OP. I would love to know the reasoning behind the ruling, if there is such a ruling. Sometimes what makes no sense to us actually has a very good reasoning why a rule has occurred.
Old Jul 24, '12, 2:00 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's probably why I would ask myself if I was the OP. I would love to know the reasoning behind the ruling, if there is such a ruling. Sometimes what makes no sense to us actually has a very good reasoning why a rule has occurred.
Indeed. As for advice for the OP, there is also the possibility that the priest feels his hands are tied and may not necessarly agree with the position. We can try to give him the old benefit of the doubt. It's easy for a priest to say "the bishop made me do it". It's more challenging for the priest to explain the decision, whether or not he agrees.

Makes you think that a captain of a high school / college debate team (assuming one is male, of course) might be uniquely qualified to consider the priesthood in this modern era.
Old Jul 24, '12, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Perhaps I will take this advice. I hope that even if I don't get the answer, that the priest won't be offended by me asking. That probably shouldn't really matter, but I am a sensitive one, you see?
Old Jul 24, '12, 4:47 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumblessprimat View Post
Perhaps I will take this advice. I hope that even if I don't get the answer, that the priest won't be offended by me asking. That probably shouldn't really matter, but I am a sensitive one, you see?
Good luck, and keep us posted. We'll say a Hail Mary and St. Joseph's Prayer for you!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments