Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 28, '12, 9:02 am

Religion: Catholic ^i^
Default Re: We're Adam and Eve vegetarians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgray82 View Post
Consider the possibility that they ate an egg, or honey. The list can go on and on..

I think it's plausible to assume they ate at least something to scratch them off the "vegetarian only" list.
Oh, I am sure they did..and meat too. After the fall though. Thats just my opinion,...it just seems to make the most sense to me.

“My greatest pleasure is to serve the Lord in his poor children rejected by other people.” --Saint Damien De Veuster

Saint Damien of Molokai group: http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1640
Old Jul 29, '12, 4:23 pm
Veteran Member

Most men and woman in Benedictine monastic communities don't eat meat unless they are an infirm diet. They only eat meat when they are told to do so by the Abbot because of health.

When I went on vocations retreat at the Cistercian monastery, none of the men ate meat except one brother who had recently had open heart surgery.

It is a long standing tradition - 1500 years or more - among Catholic monks that meat is generally not eaten.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Jul 29, '12, 9:13 pm

Religion: Catholic

Just think if we had been born Jews in those days we wouldn't know what bacon tastes like.

Oh Sweetest Jesus what is there that thou could have done for us which thou has not done?
Old Jul 29, '12, 11:58 pm

Religion: Catholic of course!
Exclamation Re: We're Adam and Eve vegetarians?

10 off topic and overly inflammatory posts have been removed.
Please remain on topic and maintain the highest level of Christian charity in your discussion.
For info on what is expected of all members, see the link in my signature.

Forum Rules and guidelines

Ecclesiastes 1:10 Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say:
Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us.

Old Aug 1, '12, 5:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I do not think Adam and Eve ate meat before the fall, but did after the fall when sin and pain and suffering entered the world
Old Aug 1, '12, 6:36 pm

Is it worth debating this?
Old Aug 1, '12, 6:43 pm

I just can't believe all of you actually take the Adam and Eve story so literally. Even Scripture professors in pontifical universities would laugh out loud if they read this thread. Sorry, but it's true. (And I have studied at pontifical universities.)
Old Aug 1, '12, 8:07 pm

Well if Adam and Eve were vegetarians, I am ever so thankful that we do not need to be vegetarians now.
Old Aug 2, '12, 12:34 am
Banned

Religion: Nondenominational

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdvocate View Post
I just can't believe all of you actually take the Adam and Eve story so literally. Even Scripture professors in pontifical universities would laugh out loud if they read this thread. Sorry, but it's true. (And I have studied at pontifical universities.)
You either believe what God tells you about the creation
or you don't
Old Aug 2, '12, 12:36 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gr8kids View Post
Genesis 9:2-3,
Dread fear of you shall come upon all the animals of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon all the creatures that move about on the ground and all the fishes of the sea; into your power they are delivered. Every creature that is alive shall be yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants.

I have always thought this verse seems to show that all people were vegetarians before the flood.

I wouldn't think they were vegans because they used animals for things such as clothing and sacrifices to God. As far as eating byproducts of animals such as eggs and milk I don't know.
If you truly believe what God tells in the Holy Bible
then correct!
Old Aug 2, '12, 12:43 am
Banned

Thumbs up Re: We're Adam and Eve vegetarians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
The question was not whether Jesus was a vegetarian or whether God told Peter to slaughter animals and eat, but whether Adam and Eve were vegetarians. What is more important that the OP's question however, is what God is trying to teach us through these Hebrew stories in the Book of Genesis.
God also said: "See, I give you every seed-bearing plant all over the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food; and to all the animals of the land, all the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the ground, I give all the green plants for food." And so it happened. (Genesis 1:29-30)
God clearly gave the plants, trees and fruit to Adam and Eve and to the animals for food. Scripture does not say whether Adam and Eve killed animals and ate them but it is clear that God gave Adam and Eve plants specifically and explicitly.
Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil. (Genesis 4:2)
We see that Abel was a shepherd, but that could have been for animal products such as wool and milk, and not necissarily meat. After the flood however, God said something very imporant to Noah.
Dread fear of you shall come upon all the animals of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon all the creatures that move about on the ground and all the fishes of the sea; into your power they are delivered. Every creature that is alive shall be yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants. (Genesis 9:2-3)
God said that as he had explicitly given mankind plants to eat in the past, so he was now doing with the animals. So it would appear that God's original intent was that man not eat meat.
X
the spiritual removed
X
-Tim-
The best "technical" answer
disregard those answers that are not based on the Holy Bible
to err is human and we may have a freedom to speak (write)
but the above quoted answer is simply correct
Old Aug 2, '12, 12:56 am

What a load of rubbish! Just look at our jaw and teeth gives the answer, we are designed to eat meat, just like monkeys do from time to time. Adam and Eve is a simple story for simple people of a time when creation was not understood.
Old Aug 2, '12, 1:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgray82 View Post
In a recent debate with an athiest this topic came up for which I don't have an answer.

Were Adam and Eve vegetarians? Or vegans?
MGray
You need to precision your question - do you mean when in a state of original innocence or at any moment in their lifetime?

I suggest your atheists refer to Adam and Eve in their state of original innocence (ie how God originally intended things).

I see no question about after the Fall - meat was no doubt eaten whether "right" or "wrong" (whatever that might mean given their fallen state).

Biblically based answers based on what God didn't command are hardly conclusive.

Answers based on present physiology are not convincing either as it assumes the Fall did not involve physiological transformation - which it easily could have, especially with the loss of praternatural gifts.

Answers based on what Jesus did are not convincing either - his kenosis required Jesus to endure many things he should not normally have been required to endure (including death).

Answers based on what God later allowed are not convincing either - he allowed polygamy because of the weakness of men at that time. No doubt he still makes concessions for our fallen natures (and hardness of heart?) even unto today.
Old Aug 2, '12, 1:45 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdvocate View Post
maybe you need to study a little more
Old Aug 2, '12, 7:59 am

Religion: Latin Rite convert, practicing Byzantine
Send a message via Yahoo to coolrainynight Send a message via Skype™ to coolrainynight

Please lets stop Protestantizing our reading and understanding of the Bible and let us stop selectively snipping verses to support our points.

Firstly, the Catholic understanding and interpertation of the Bible is that it is the literal Word of God as understood through human facualties, because God is a Mystery that can never be fully grasped. Scripture is always true, but not always factual, and such was the case until Martin Luther decided it should be otherwise.

Secondly, we do not need to wait for something to be reference in the Bible to believe that it only occurs from the point at which it is referenced, for instance, There is no mention of sacrifice until Genesis 4:4. Does that mean there were no sacrifices before Abel and Cain? God didn't ask for it so how did they know to make the offering.

Also, that kind of reading and understanding, negates the truth that "God is the same yesterday, today, and forever" -- "As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Furthermore, such methods facilitates a false conflict between faith and science.

Now for my answer:

In Genesis 1:28, God gives Adam and Eve dominion over the fish, birds, and all living things.

Dominion equals the power of life and death, therefore the power to kill and eat.

In Genesis 1:29, He In Genesis 1:29, He ALSO gives them all the plants to eat.

So from the beginning we were omnivores, eating both plants and animals.

Furthermore, Genesis 4:2 states that Abel was a keeper of flocks. Why keep flocks if not for food.

We must also keep in mind what a sacrifice is. It is firstly an acknowledgement that all things belong to God. Secondly, it is communion and consumation with God. Acceptance of the sacrifice is an affirmation of His love, and thus God shares with us His bounty.

Abel sacrificed from his flock, and it was acceptable to God. Therefore, Abel and God shared the consumation of the sacrifice -- Abel and God ate the flesh of the animal together.

That is why Abel is referenced in the Eucharistic prayer, "Be pleased to look upon these gifts with a serene and kindly countenance, and to accept them, as once you were pleased to accept the gifts of your servant Abel the just..."

Since the Mass is a directly connected with the Heavenly Feast, when we are consuming the Blessed Sacrament, we are consuming the flesh and blood of Christ, as is the Trinity, and all the blessed at the Heavenly Altar.

So if we go back to when God walked with Adam and Eve in the Garden, we should understand that Adam and Eve were in full communion with God; that Adam and Eve knew all things were God's, which they acknowledged in sacrifice, and that they consumated God's gifts with Him.

God and Adam and Eve ate together from all that was in the Garden, of plants and of animals.

Last edited by coolrainynight; Aug 2, '12 at 8:15 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics