Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 16, '05, 2:22 pm
Observing Member

Religion: christian
Default artificial insemination

Hello, I am new here so hopefully I am doing this right. I am getting married next May to a Catholic man. I am not catholic but I still love him. Well here is my question. Is it against the Catholic religon to have artificial inseimnation? The reason I asked this is because my finance can not have kids and I would want to have my own child. I am christian and I didn't see anything the bible that talks about this topic. I don't feel it is wrong to want to have your own child but I would like to know from someone who is Catholic. thanks a lot
kkraft
Old Aug 16, '05, 2:27 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: artificial insemination

Welcome to the forum!

Next time you would probably want to post this in moral theology.

Artificial insemination is against church teaching.

2376 Techniques that entail the dissociation of husband and wife, by the intrusion of a person other than the couple (donation of sperm or ovum, surrogate uterus), are gravely immoral. These techniques (heterologous artificial insemination and fertilization) infringe the child's right to be born of a father and mother known to him and bound to each other by marriage. They betray the spouses' "right to become a father and a mother only through each other."167

2377 Techniques involving only the married couple (homologous artificial insemination and fertilization) are perhaps less reprehensible, yet remain morally unacceptable. They dissociate the sexual act from the procreative act. The act which brings the child into existence is no longer an act by which two persons give themselves to one another, but one that "entrusts the life and identity of the embryo into the power of doctors and biologists and establishes the domination of technology over the origin and destiny of the human person. Such a relationship of domination is in itself contrary to the dignity and equality that must be common to parents and children."168 "Under the moral aspect procreation is deprived of its proper perfection when it is not willed as the fruit of the conjugal act, that is to say, of the specific act of the spouses' union . . . . Only respect for the link between the meanings of the conjugal act and respect for the unity of the human being make possible procreation in conformity with the dignity of the person."169
Old Aug 17, '05, 2:25 pm
Observing Member

I am sorry I posted it is the wrong section. I wanted someone who was in the catholic faith to answer my question. Where in the bible does it state that articial insemination is wrong. I understand that the union between a husband and a wife is sacred and I believe that a child has the right to a father and a mother and in my cause the child will have a father and mother. My finance is Catholic and he can not have children. The reason I ask this is because I want my own children and he wants children also. He is still learning a lot about his religion even though he was born into his religon. I want to respect his religon and I want to be able to respect God's laws and if GOD said it is wrong than I will not be able to be a mom but if he doesn't state that it is wrong than I can be a mom. thanks
kkraft
Old Aug 17, '05, 3:34 pm
Catholic Answers (ret.)

Hi kkraft,
As rayne89 said, this question is better suited for the moral theology forum. This entire forum is Catholic, not just the radio forum. This radio forum is devoted to the Catholic Answers Live radio show.

When you ask, "Where in the Bible does it state that artificial insemination is wrong," you open up a whole other discussion which can be treated more fully in the appropriate forum, the moral theology forum. When you post your question, ask that a Catholic who can explain the authentic Catholic position respond.

Another option is to call Catholic Answers at 619-387-7200 and ask to speak with an apologist.

God bless!
Old Aug 17, '05, 4:25 pm

There is a reason why God gave us the teaching magisterium of the Church. You will not find the words "stem cell research" in the Bible, you will not the term "euthansia" in the Bible, you will not even find the term "abortion" in Bible, that does not mean they are morally acceptable. There are plenty morally unacceptable things in our society that you will not find direct reference to in the Bible.

Here is a link that may help you with a better explanation of the teaching on artificial insemination:
http://www.cuf.org/FaithFacts/details_view.asp?ffID=123

As far as the teaching authority of the Church the bible refers to the church as "the pillar and foundation of truth". 1 Tim 3:15

And in Matt 16:18-19 :18. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
19. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Also Matt 18:17-18 If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
18. Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

As Catholics we submit to the teaching authority of the Church esatblished by Jesus Christ which he promised to protect by the Holy Spirit

16. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always,
17. the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you, and will be in you.
John 14:15-17

12. "I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
13. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.
John 16:12-13

The Bible is clear that Jesus did give teaching authority to HIs Church. Obviously a to follower in Jesus' time artificial insemination would be completely foreign. To put every possible moral dilema in the Bible it would take more volumes than we could even imagine. Jesus never said the Bible was our only reference.

2 Thess 2:15. Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.

2 Thess 3: 6. We instruct you, brothers, in the name of [our] Lord Jesus Christ, to shun any brother who conducts himself in a disorderly way and not according to the tradition they received from us.

As far as you not being able to have children with your future spouse this is definately a cross that I'm sure is very painful. In my own case I have one child. Due to a severe heart condition a second pregnancy would kill me. While the technology is available for me to have a surrogate mother carry the child of my husband and I (and I no doubt have a couple dear life long friends that would do this for me) I can not because it is not a moral choice.

I am also an adopted child. My (adoptive) father also could not have biological children. The parents that raised me are my mom and dad. If this is the man that God has placed in your life then I think God has chosen a special vocation for you. And I believe He has a a child(ren) in mind especially for you. Sometimes it is very difficult to accept that our plans are not God's. But you will never be disappointed if follow God's way over your own.
God Bless you for seeking understanding and respecting your fiance's faith.

I hope you will continue to join us on the Forum.
Old Aug 18, '05, 9:19 am
Observing Member

Smile thanks

Rayne89
I thanks for your insight. It does state in the bible that there is only one God and there only one book that is from God. I do admit that there are other books that can help us in a spritual walk but it is not writen or guide by God. I believe you are right about adaption I believe that they are many children out there that needed loving and spritual home. but unfounalty I will not be able to do that anytime soon because it cost a lot more to adapt a child than to have your own.that includes Artificial insemination. Maybe you are right that God will bless us later.Because right now my finance and I have a disability. I have a seizure disorder and he has CP. Therefore we only could do certain jobs because of our health which doesn't pay that well. Believe me I want to do things right, that is why I came to your site to get so answers. I believe that having a child is a blessing from God and if I can't have my own child than maybe I could raise a child that needs a loving home in the future. I sorry to be so long but it is hard to know that I will never have my own child. I guess my thinking was that I wanted to have a child that my future husband will see before he gets really sick. Thanks kkraft
Old Aug 18, '05, 9:26 am

kkraft,

God Bless you! I will say a prayer for you and your fiancee.

Your sincerity and desire to do what is right and to do only what is compatible with God's will and your obvious love and concern for your fiancee is an inspiration.

Thank you!
Old Sep 29, '05, 7:06 am
Moderator (Ret.)

To clear confusion earlier posts may present, this thread is formerly of the Radio Forum and has been relocated. . .

now on with the topic.
Old Sep 29, '05, 1:41 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Super Moderator! Does it say that on your business cards? Fun!

The technology to peform artificial insemination did not exist when the Bible was compiled. Therefore, it is not reasonable to expect the Bible to speak specifically on issues that did not exist 2,000+ years ago!

A few good perspective issues need examination.

First, having children is not a right. It is a priviledge granted by God. And sometimes denied. We don't know why.

Second, catholic teaching on procreation says that all marital sex must be mutually self-giving and open to life and that all children have a basic human right to be the product of that marital self-giving act which so reflects God's own creative love for us.

IVF and artificial insemination substitute cold technology instead.

As you noted, adoption in the USA is criminally entangled with red tape and expensive bureaucracies. Would accepting an 'imperfect' child through becoming a foster parent first be an option? These children are often much easier to adopt (and more affordable).

Lastly, forgive my bluntness. Is your and your husband's condition such that you have a good chance of living long enough to raise children? It wasn't clear from your post what you meant. Having children isn't primarily for the parents good, or their feelings and wants. It's for the kids! Being a foster parent might be an even better option if you both face life-threatening illnesses.
Old Jan 29, '13, 9:03 pm

Couples going through infertility bear one of the hardest crosses.

It's good to see well educated opinions in this matter, but such responses are hardly sensitive to the deep suffering and pain entailed here. As a result, many people often mistake Church's position in this matter as Church wants infertile people to suffer.

Church studies the problem of infertility with more seriousness than any other university or government department. She encourages all infertility treatments that directly treats the cause of infertility, rather than technologies that bypass the problem like in IVF or IUI. Church do allow homogeneous IUI provided the sperm is collected from the sexual intercourse between husband and wife.

That being the catechism, reality can be much more harsh. Month after month, couples rise in hope only to be disappointed end of the month. Some lose faith in God and all hope in life. They may tend to think God has completely abandoned them. What's the hope in their life ?

The only answer I know is in Bible - Jesus Christ too felt abandoned by God in the Garden of Gethsemene. Even if all doors seem closed, you can put your complete trust in Jesus Christ. Pray, pray and pray, Christ can work miracles in your life. There are many infertile couples blessed with children after years of hardships and prayers. Infertility could be God's way for leading you to God.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology