Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jul 26, '12, 2:21 pm
Rhuarc Rhuarc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2011
Posts: 278
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How does one choose a patron saint?

I was wondering how I choose my patron saint. I am a convert who was baptized this year and RCIA never went over how to choose one. Once I have chosen one is there a ritual or consecration that I do? My name is Brandon so the closest saint to my name is saint Brendan that did the whole sailing to England thing. However I do not quite identify with him so now I am wading in open water. I thought about saint Thomas More but he doesn't quite fit well either, also thought/thinking about Therese of the child Jesus which she sounds appealing but doesn't seem like an exact fit.

If only a saint would tap me over the shoulder while I said my almost daily Rosary.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 26, '12, 2:22 pm
Rhuarc Rhuarc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2011
Posts: 278
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saints

Also is it a "They choose you" or a "You choose them" kind of situation?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 26, '12, 3:04 pm
findingmyself08's Avatar
findingmyself08 findingmyself08 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 22, 2012
Posts: 1,996
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saints

Sometimes I think we feel drawn to certain saints and that we necessarily choose them. When I "chose" my patron saint/confirmation name St. Joan of Arc, I did so for several reason:
  1. I have always been fascinated by her.
  2. I was required to research her for confirmation and to know why she was canonized a saint.
  3. I admire her for her faith and courage in the face of adversity.

Well, if the saints you have looked into so far do not seem to be quite the right fit, I would consider looking into other saints or researching more about the saints that have struck you so far.

I also have some suggestions for saints you should consider in your search.

St. Michael the Archangel
St. Thomas Aquinas
St. John Bosco

Just a few different saints to check out to see if they strike you at all. God bless!

Last edited by findingmyself08; Jul 26, '12 at 3:04 pm. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 26, '12, 3:34 pm
Rhuarc Rhuarc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2011
Posts: 278
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmyself08 View Post
Sometimes I think we feel drawn to certain saints and that we necessarily choose them. When I "chose" my patron saint/confirmation name St. Joan of Arc, I did so for several reason:
  1. I have always been fascinated by her.
  2. I was required to research her for confirmation and to know why she was canonized a saint.
  3. I admire her for her faith and courage in the face of adversity.

Well, if the saints you have looked into so far do not seem to be quite the right fit, I would consider looking into other saints or researching more about the saints that have struck you so far.

I also have some suggestions for saints you should consider in your search.

St. Michael the Archangel
St. Thomas Aquinas
St. John Bosco

Just a few different saints to check out to see if they strike you at all. God bless!
The first two strike a flame in me. I like Michael because of his boldness and speaking out even though he was low in rank, something that I could see myself doing. Aquinas I like because he is intellectual and yet he is able to have spiritual experience's and not let his "logic" cloud it by over analyzing things.

I think that it would help if I took time to look at myself and gain a better understanding of who I am in relation to God. At 17 there is a lot to learn about the world and myself. At my baptism my sponsor gave me a st. Michael archa. medal. I didn't give much thought to how person it could be to me but now that you mention it (Michael) I am going to start wearing it more often!

Thanks for your advice friend!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 26, '12, 4:40 pm
McCall1981's Avatar
McCall1981 McCall1981 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2011
Posts: 1,526
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saints

There is a similar thread to this one where I posted that the advice that was given to me was that this kind of thing is more about something that happens to you, rather than something you "do" on your own.

For me, the experience was more like making a friend. If you wanted a friendship, you wouldn't start by assigning a stranger the title "friend" and then set about creating a relationship with them. Rather, you start to have a relationship with someone because you're drawn to them, then you realize they've become your friend.

Don't feel pressured about it. My advice would be to pray about it, and be open and let yourself be drawn in the direction God wants you to go.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 26, '12, 9:39 pm
findingmyself08's Avatar
findingmyself08 findingmyself08 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 22, 2012
Posts: 1,996
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuarc View Post
The first two strike a flame in me. I like Michael because of his boldness and speaking out even though he was low in rank, something that I could see myself doing. Aquinas I like because he is intellectual and yet he is able to have spiritual experience's and not let his "logic" cloud it by over analyzing things.

I think that it would help if I took time to look at myself and gain a better understanding of who I am in relation to God. At 17 there is a lot to learn about the world and myself. At my baptism my sponsor gave me a st. Michael archa. medal. I didn't give much thought to how person it could be to me but now that you mention it (Michael) I am going to start wearing it more often!

Thanks for your advice friend!
Glad I could help! God bless!
__________________
God Bless,
Stacey

: Some of the greatest saints that history will ever know have not even had their conversion yet. Never give up on a soul. Never.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jul 28, '12, 8:44 pm
Southwell's Avatar
Southwell Southwell is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 21, 2012
Posts: 38
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Patron Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuarc View Post
I was wondering how I choose my patron saint. I am a convert who was baptized this year and RCIA never went over how to choose one. Once I have chosen one is there a ritual or consecration that I do? My name is Brandon so the closest saint to my name is saint Brendan that did the whole sailing to England thing. However I do not quite identify with him so now I am wading in open water. I thought about saint Thomas More but he doesn't quite fit well either, also thought/thinking about Therese of the child Jesus which she sounds appealing but doesn't seem like an exact fit.

If only a saint would tap me over the shoulder while I said my almost daily Rosary.

Rhuarc,

I shared your delimma, when I converted I didn't take a confirmation name. As my faith grew I was drawn to the English martyrs and later took St Thomas Garnett a martyr priest executed on my birthday. My advise is to study your new faith and as happened with me a saint will present him/herself to you.

Keep your birthday, baptismal day and confirmation day in view. Another is to take a confirmation name/patron saint name from someone special in your life, my daughter took her grandmother's name/patron saint as did the chief rabbi of Rome when he converted he took Eugenio for pope Pius XII.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8304Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4359Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3617Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3212Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3203Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3071For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:51 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.