Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 6, '12, 8:32 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Post One volume Christian Prayer & Office of Readings?

Question to y'all who use the one volume and pray the office of readings? what do you do for the Readings, since there limited. i will eventually get the 4 volume, God willing, but atm i cant, so any tips for the readings and the responsorys? God bless
"For what page or what utterance of the divinely inspired books of the Old and the New Testament is not a most exact rule of human life? Or, what book of the holy Catholic Fathers doth not loudly proclaim how we may go straight to our Creator?" -Holy Rule of Saint Benedict
Old Aug 6, '12, 10:13 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: One volume Christian Prayer & Office of Readings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrySteve View Post
Question to y'all who use the one volume and pray the office of readings? what do you do for the Readings, since there limited. i will eventually get the 4 volume, God willing, but atm i cant, so any tips for the readings and the responsorys? God bless
I assume that since the Office of Readings is not part of the one volume, you are asking if the Office of Readings is available by itself elsewhere?

There are several different websites:

Take your pick.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Aug 6, '12, 10:29 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
I assume that since the Office of Readings is not part of the one volume, you are asking if the Office of Readings is available by itself elsewhere?

There are several different websites:
Take your pick.
actually the Office is in the one volume i have, it has the 4 week Psalter for it, but is limited on the Readings for it, but yea them sites will come in handy, thanks (: God bless
"For what page or what utterance of the divinely inspired books of the Old and the New Testament is not a most exact rule of human life? Or, what book of the holy Catholic Fathers doth not loudly proclaim how we may go straight to our Creator?" -Holy Rule of Saint Benedict
Old Aug 6, '12, 10:33 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
actually the Office is in the one volume i have, it has the 4 week Psalter for it, but is limited on the Readings for it, but yea them sites will come in handy, thanks (: God bless
Really? Which one volume do you have?

The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Aug 6, '12, 10:40 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:

the book says Christian Prayer on it and is from the Catholic book company, thats all ik xD
Old Aug 6, '12, 10:55 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

What you could do is use the Psalter (starting on page 1785).

For the first reading, you may:
- rotate through the Biblical readings for the proper season (pages 1870-1941) or
- use a Bible and follow the two-year cycle for Biblical readings on page 2064.

The first option limits your readings but needs nothing more than the book itself. The second requires the use of a Bible. I would suppose any Catholic-approved Bible will do.

For the second reading, you may rotate through the non-biblical readings for the proper season, starting on page 1942.

If it's a Sunday outside of Lent, Feast, or Solemnity, you recite the Te Deum after the Second Reading, printed on a prayer card which should have been included with your Christian Prayer.

Or you can use a tablet like an iPad or an Android device and use the iBreviary application or the divineoffice.org site for the readings. I would not use Universalis.

In any case, only the four-volume edition provides the full office of readings complete with verses and responsories.

Old Aug 6, '12, 11:37 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
the book says Christian Prayer on it and is from the Catholic book company, thats all ik xD
Really? That's the same one I have. I didn't realize it had any of the Office of the Readings in it. I guess I'm so accustomed to flipping where I need to flip that I haven't noticed it.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Aug 6, '12, 11:53 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Really? That's the same one I have. I didn't realize it had any of the Office of the Readings in it. I guess I'm so accustomed to flipping where I need to flip that I haven't noticed it.
LOl rlly? xD, well now you know (: God bless
Old Aug 6, '12, 1:35 pm

Quote:
One volume "Christian prayer" has a limited amount for Office of Readings.

It is "Shorter Christian Prayer" that does not have anything but morning, evening and night prayer, on the four-week cycle..
Old Aug 7, '12, 2:03 am

The listing for the Biblical readings are in the back of Christian Prayer.
Since the non-Biblical readings are limited, I substituted inspirational books and spiritual classics. I read a chapter, or a few pages, each day. Examples include St. Theresa's Story of A Soul and St. Augustine's Confessions. I found it easier to remember what I read than reading in a single setting or two.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality