Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 7, '12, 3:34 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Need prayers, unending grief and fear of death

I probably sound crazy to most of you but I have struggled nearly my whiole life with an intense fear of death and the alienation it causes. I am terrified of being burried in the ground, trapped alone forever. I have intellectual struggles in accepting life after death and the existence of god. I actually resent god for death and separation. I cant stop thinking of the past and all the dead people who are no more. The future terrifies me since it only means that I am running out of time. What can I do? I pray constantly but God doesn't take this away from me. Please pray for me, I am ashamed that asking for prayers for myself is selfish but need your prayers.
Old Aug 7, '12, 3:39 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Need prayers, unending grief and fear of death

I commend you to the Blessed Virgin Mary. I pray you have a strong devotion to her. May she help you to accept our Lord's will and to trust in his goodness. Amen.
Old Aug 7, '12, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeseeker View Post
I probably sound crazy to most of you but I have struggled nearly my whiole life with an intense fear of death and the alienation it causes. I am terrified of being burried in the ground, trapped alone forever. I have intellectual struggles in accepting life after death and the existence of god. I actually resent god for death and separation. I cant stop thinking of the past and all the dead people who are no more. The future terrifies me since it only means that I am running out of time. What can I do? I pray constantly but God doesn't take this away from me. Please pray for me, I am ashamed that asking for prayers for myself is selfish but need your prayers.
In addition to praying, you must help yourself. You should really search out professional psychiatric help. If you have a personal physician, he can refer you to a psychiatrist. If you cannot afford treatment, go to the Emergency Room of any large public hospital and ask to speak with a Psychiatric Social Worker. That individual will be in a position to get appropriat help for you at public expense.
Do not be afraid to do this. There is no public or social shame is seeking out help for a troubling personal condition.....If you still can't bring yourself to get medical help, go to the nearest Catholic Rectory and ask to speak with a priest. He should be able to help you.
Old Aug 7, '12, 4:32 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Delaine75

Please don't be ashamed, my friend... there is NOTHING wrong with asking for prayers for yourself (I do it all the time!). Rest assured, I will be praying for you!
Old Aug 7, '12, 4:37 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic (Traditional)

Quote:
I probably sound crazy to most of you
No you don't...

Quote:
but I have struggled nearly my whole life with an intense fear of death and the alienation it causes. I am terrified of being burried in the ground, trapped alone forever. I have intellectual struggles in accepting life after death and the existence of god. I actually resent god for death and separation.
Actually God didn't create death and separation. The Devil did so he could drag souls down with him.

Quote:
I cant stop thinking of the past and all the dead people who are no more. The future terrifies me since it only means that I am running out of time. What can I do? I pray constantly but God doesn't take this away from me. Please pray for me, I am ashamed that asking for prayers for myself is selfish but need your prayers.
What can you do? Well you can pray, go to confession, and daily Mass if you can.
It's not selfish to ask others to pray for you. It's very normal and can benefit you so much.

God Bless, I will be praying for you.
Ipsa scientia potestas est.
In vino veritas.
Facta non verba.
Invictus by William E. Henley.
Old Aug 7, '12, 4:41 pm

May God bless you and bring you peace.

And if I'm not overstepping my bounds, I would suggest trying a prayer to St. Therese Lisieux, she confronted fears about some similar things towards the end of her life, and persevered in the Faith; a very inspiring life.
Old Aug 7, '12, 4:51 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I will keep you in my prayers. It would be good for you to talk to someone professional like a priest or a doctor. I'm sure it will go a long way to solving what you have begun to think of as an insoluble problem. God bless

In Praise of Mary Immaculate

You are all fair, O Mary;
the original stain is not in you.
You are the glory of Jerusalem,
the joy of Israel,
the honor of our people,
and the great advocate of sinners.
O Mary, Virgin most prudent,
Mother most merciful, pray for us;
intercede for us with our Lord Jesus Christ.

Old Aug 7, '12, 4:56 pm

Jesus suffered, died, and rose again for you! He loves you unconditionally.

May the Lord grant you the grace to overcome your fears and distress. Jesus wants nothing but the best for you.
May our loving Blessed Mother put her arms around you.

Death is the entrance into eternal happiness, if we follow Jesus. In Him we have nothing to fear.
Old Aug 7, '12, 5:03 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

Dear friend, it's evident that such a persistent fear does need more than verbal assurances. I can say to you, that if there is no afterlife, then death with mean the end, oblivion. You have possible said this to yourself yet you haven't found that reassuring.
If you believe that you could stay forever in isolation, then it is evident that you do believe in your soul. Only that could live on after death, and if there is a soul, then you do accept that there is a spiritual realm.

Of course the body will die. I've looked at my hand and thought...how can such a fragile thing as that last so long, because the body is a thing of time. It's amazing how long the body can last, but who'd want to be trapped in it as it is forever?

Your fear of this life ending and another beginning.
Have you realized that you already have done one such immense transition?

The only existence you had known was warm and safe and confined, with muffled sounds. And if you opened your eyes, perhaps, only perhaps, occasionally you could see the faintest glow of light. You were never hungry, never cold, never alone. When you flung out your little hands and feet you never hit anything hard, always softness...this was the world you Knew for nine long months, all of your life so far
...but then, violently you were expelled to another life, and other world, where there were so many experiences, many amazing experiences of sight and taste and sound and touch such as you never imagined in your first life within the womb.

Yes, another transition awaits, to a world and a realm that you cannot imagine any more than as a child growing safely in the womb, you never imagined the life that awaited you when your struggled from that warm confined place.

I'll pray for you, but I hope you can work on that sad habit of thought, with the help of others if you can't persist in creating new habits of thought alone.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Aug 7, '12, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Quote:
I've got the exact same problem as you do. Maybe not as strong, but the thought of death/going to hell/dying in sin/dying without sin/etc etc etc etc, drives me batty. It interferes with my daily life too and I am always more melancholy than most ppl because it's all I think about...a lot. I mostly think about it until I go mentally crazy, realize in the end there's nothing I can do about it, try to forge some hope, and then the whole cycle starts over again. It's the not knowing that drives me nuts. Just know you are not alone.

Old Aug 7, '12, 5:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Converting to Catholicism

St. Joseph is the patron saint of a happy death.

PAX
Kristina Maria aka marian_love
Old Aug 7, '12, 6:22 pm

Quote:
I don't know how old you are or your personal situation. I'm 73 myslef and in the past seven years I've lost Mom and Dad and a younger brother and a real good friend, and two aunts in their 90s. My brother received the last rites three times before he died and a priest was giving him the final blessing as he took his last breath. He chose creamation by the way, perhaps you should do that as well, that would solve one of your worries. Still, there is that great Unknown. You know, we just have to trust in God's mercy. Remember the thief on the cross? Whamo, right into Heaven. What a deal!! Can't beat that.

Take a look at your life. Are you living the way God wants you too? Do you receive the Sacraments regularly, do you have a habit of regular prayer and spiritual reading? Have you made a retreat lately, can you do it? Have you talked to a priest? Perhaps you need a little spiritual direction. I do know the fears you have are a temptation to despair. A favorite trick of the Devil. Remember in the end, all we have is Christ's mercy. But do make sure you spiritual life is in good order and try to seek some help.
Old Aug 7, '12, 6:39 pm

Quote:
You don't need to be ashamed to ask for prayer! We are Catholic, we are supposed to pray for one another! Please also ask the saints to pray for you! They love to pray for us! You will get peace through their prayers. I think you should take your fears to a priest. Talk to a priest either in confession or outside of confession.

Remember that your mind can be your enemy when it comes to faith. Some things have to be accepted as Jesus gave them to us. Remember Lazarus! Jesus raised him from the dead. Jesus Himself did not die, but returned to his disciples in His normal body.

One thing I find comforting is reading stories from people who have clinically died, some for extended periods of time, and who have experienced many positive things on the other side. There is a book out recently from a doctor who drowned while kayaking. Her story will give you goosebumps. These things are not just the brain's visions while shutting down. I believe that they are real contact with Heaven.

http://www.amazon.com/To-Heaven-Back...eaven+and+back

I think you should also find a spiritual adviser. A person who can talk to you about this fear of yours, and find Scriptures and spiritually guide you out of this fear.
Old Aug 7, '12, 7:15 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

Here's a book that helped me a lot:

http://www.abebooks.com/978157075511...1570755116/plp

Old Aug 7, '12, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
Here's a book that helped me a lot:

http://www.abebooks.com/978157075511...1570755116/plp

Thank you!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions