Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 18, '05, 5:12 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default clomid and the Church

1) how exactly does clomid work?

2) does the Church approve the use of this fertitlity drug?

3) Do you know of any documents that would prove or disprove this?

Thank you and God bless,

B. Lonergan
Old Aug 18, '05, 5:22 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)
Default Re: clomid and the Church

Clomid is a fertility drug which is acceptable.

Here are some links that I found from issues answered on the Ask an Apologist forum:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...ertility+drugs

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...ertility+drugs
Old Aug 18, '05, 7:10 pm

Religion: Catholic

For me, Clomid worked to regulate my cycle. When I was trying to get pregnant, and charting my temperature, the spike would be all over the place. It made it very hard to predict or pinpoint ovulation. With the clomid, there was a very difinate spike at the same time each month.

My understanding is that the Chursh is OK with this since it doesn't interfere with the marital act.

Arlene
Old Aug 25, '05, 9:57 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Happily Catholic!

Clomid is completely acceptable to use. It only regulates your ovulation, which is fixing something that is not working right. The problem with IVF is that it denies the marital act and produces life without love. Clomid does nothing but fix your own system. I have asked many priests about this, and always been told it's ok. We used it to help conceive our son.
Old Oct 18, '06, 9:23 am

Religion: Catholic Candidate
Smile Re: clomid and the Church

Oh, thank goodness! I've been told so many different doctrinal things about Clomid... Good thing. Now I don't feel so uneasy going to my OBGYN and asking for it.

*whew!*
John 14:27 -- "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid."
Old Oct 18, '06, 9:35 am

50 mg of Clomid got me where I am today -- 11 weeks pregnant with twins, maybe triplets! (I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago that definitely showed two healthy babies with strong heartbeats, but also a third yolk sac that they *think* was empty )

All my fertility treatments (basically Clomid and some insulin resistance medications, along with hcg shots immediately following ovulation) were ordered by my NFP-only Catholic doctor who was trained at the Pope Paul VI Institute for Human Reproduction or whatever it's called. And it was run by my very orthodox priest who founded a major pro-life group.

Good luck on Clomid and keep us posted!

Jen Z.
Old Oct 18, '06, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenZ View Post
50 mg of Clomid got me where I am today -- 11 weeks pregnant with twins, maybe triplets! (I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago that definitely showed two healthy babies with strong heartbeats, but also a third yolk sac that they *think* was empty )

All my fertility treatments (basically Clomid and some insulin resistance medications, along with hcg shots immediately following ovulation) were ordered by my NFP-only Catholic doctor who was trained at the Pope Paul VI Institute for Human Reproduction or whatever it's called. And it was run by my very orthodox priest who founded a major pro-life group.

Good luck on Clomid and keep us posted!

Jen Z.
Do you know if clomid had anything to do with the multiple pregnancy or was it just a coincidence?
Old Oct 18, '06, 1:08 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Karin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LighthouseRon View Post
Do you know if clomid had anything to do with the multiple pregnancy or was it just a coincidence?
More than likely the Clomid...
Multiple Pregnancy: The incidence of multiple pregnancy (including triplets, quadruplets and quintuplets) has been increased up to tenfold when conception takes place during a cycle in which clomiphene therapy is given. During clinical studies 353 infants were born of 163 multiple pregnancies. Of these infants, 293 survived, including 27 of 62 infants from triplet, quadruplet, and quintuplet pregnancies. The patient and her husband should be advised of the frequency and potential hazards of multiple pregnancy before starting treatment SOURCE
Old Oct 18, '06, 2:11 pm
Observing Member

Wink Re: clomid and the Church

Clomid can jump start a cycle and was it does is regulate the amount of progesterone and estrogen that your body produces and helps you get pregnant. It is a perfectly acceptable drug. I live in Lincoln, NE and this is how we conceived our first son and then I had my second child 11 months later and my third 11 months after that. My fourth was later. I probably should have been on clomid again but I have four kids ages 4 and under so I was in no hurry. As I say...I need to have 13 in case one betrays me! My ob/gyn went to the Pope Paul VI Institute in Omaha too and I trust everything he does...hard to find a doctor like that anymore!
Sarah
Old Oct 18, '06, 2:54 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Happily Catholic!

Quote:

Clomid has a much lower rate of multiple pregnancy than most other ovarian stimulators, that is why it is usually a 'first line' drug. Most of the multiples are also only twins, one egg from each ovary, although very rarely triplets or more can occur with it.
Old Oct 18, '06, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Ron, my family/fertility/NFP-only doctor (all one in the same person) said that this lowest dose of Clomid only increased my chances of multiples by a percentage or two. However, the facts that I'm 35 and that I've had 7 pregnancies (with only 2 living children) are much more likely the culprits. We're happy whichever the way it happened!
Old Oct 19, '06, 7:57 am

I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and my Catholic NFP-only doctor recommended clomid to me as an option to treat my problem. I took the Metformin route instead since I am unmarried and not trying to conceive. Since I am getting married in about 6.5 months I am going to ask if I can switch to clomid because the Metformin has not helped and I would like to get preggers about a year or two after we marry. Good luck!!

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Oct 19, '06, 12:03 pm

My twins are clomid babies. I took clomid for luteal phase defect and got pregnant with my twins on the first round. It's fine as far as church teaching goes, and higher order multiples are very uncommon on Clomid (no trigger shot).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life