Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 11, '12, 3:54 pm

Religion: Christian!
Question "Why are you Roman Catholic?" and other related very interesting questions! :)

Greetings Everybody!

How are all of you?

Can all of you please try to answer all of my questions please? Thanks so much!

1. I was just wondering if any of you all are Roman Catholic because of your ancestry, culture, heritage, and customs (Northwestern European (Irish and French.), Southwestern European (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Maltese.), Western Slavic European (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Selesian.), Southern Slavic European (Slovenian and Croatian.), Hispanic/Latin American/Latino, and Filipino.)?

2. Did any of you all (Who are not Roman Catholics.) retained, past down, and preserved any of your family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs?

3. Did any of you all who converted or reverted to Roman Catholicism did so because you and your family were greatly influenced by Roman Catholics in your family (Related by marriage.), neighborhood, school/college, and community, and were also greatly influenced by their Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs?

4. Did any of you all (Who are not Roman Catholics.) retained, past down, and preserved any Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs in your family because you and your family were greatly influenced by Roman Catholics in your family (Related by marriage.), neighborhood, school/college, and community, and were also greatly influenced by their Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs?

5. If any one you retained, past down, and preserved any of your family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs. Do you want to continue to retain, past, teach, and preserve them and why do you want to?

The reasons that I am asking all of these questions is because I can answer/have answers for questions 1., 2., 4., and 5. for myself. I am courter Filipino from my maternal side of the family and most of my Mom's family who are full/part Filipino are also Roman Catholic. Some of my Mom's family who are part Filipino are also part Hispanic (Mexican.) and Roman Catholic also. My first cousins on my paternal side of the family are Roman Catholic because their father (My Uncle who is related to me by marriage.) and his family are full Irish. I am a non-denominational Christian but, ever sense I was very young I was greatly influenced by the Roman Catholics and their Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs in and outside my family. As a result of all of this, I have retained and preserved some of my family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs. For a example, I do the sign of the cross and say "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit! Amen!" almost everytime I pray or bless somebody/something. I really want to and I think it is extremely important retain, past down, teach, and preserve my family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs because I really want all of them to really know, never forget, and be extremely proud of their ancestry, culture, heritage, and etc.

Thanks so much for reading this and for answering all of my questions! May God bless all of you always! Amen! Peace!

Love,
VikingGirlTBird!
Old Aug 11, '12, 5:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: "Why are you Roman Catholic?" and other related very interesting questions! :)

I can only properly answer your first question because I am Roman Catholic. The reason I'm Roman Catholic does have to do with my ancestry, I suppose. I am Italian and French, and those sides of the family are Catholic. However, my family in general isn't very religious, but my parents put me in Catholic religion classes though we weren't active in the Church. But I suppose I would never have known about Catholicism unless my family had that background. (And I'm soooo glad they did!!!)

Are you considering converting?
Old Aug 11, '12, 5:15 pm

Default Re: "Why are you Roman Catholic?" and other related very interesting questions! :)

Well I guess I can answer #1 as I am what many call a "cradle catholic". I am of Irish decent and was actually born and raised in Northern Ireland for the first few years of my life. However, as to the title of this thread there is more to why I am Catholic than merely my ethnicity or the family I was born into.

Indeed I was born into a Catholic family and was raised as such. As an adult though it truly is a choice I have made to continue to be so. My faith is more than ethnicity, family ties and tradition. It is an informed choice derived from study, prayer and personal introspection. I truly believe this is the path God wishes me to follow.

Hope that helps, ask more specific questions if you like.
Old Aug 11, '12, 5:23 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGirlTBird View Post
Greetings Everybody!

How are all of you?

1. I was just wondering if any of you all are Roman Catholic because of your ancestry, culture, heritage, and customs (Northwestern European (Irish and French.), Southwestern European (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Maltese.), Western Slavic European (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Selesian.), Southern Slavic European (Slovenian and Croatian.), Hispanic/Latin American/Latino, and Filipino.)?

2. Did any of you all (Who are not Roman Catholics.) retained, past down, and preserved any of your family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs?

3. Did any of you all who converted or reverted to Roman Catholicism did so because you and your family were greatly influenced by Roman Catholics in your family (Related by marriage.), neighborhood, school/college, and community, and were also greatly influenced by their Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs?

4. Did any of you all (Who are not Roman Catholics.) retained, past down, and preserved any Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs in your family because you and your family were greatly influenced by Roman Catholics in your family (Related by marriage.), neighborhood, school/college, and community, and were also greatly influenced by their Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs?

5. If any one you retained, past down, and preserved any of your family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs. Do you want to continue to retain, past, teach, and preserve them and why do you want to?

The reasons that I am asking all of these questions is because I can answer/have answers for questions 1., 2., 4., and 5. for myself. I am courter Filipino from my maternal side of the family and most of my Mom's family who are full/part Filipino are also Roman Catholic. Some of my Mom's family who are part Filipino are also part Hispanic (Mexican.) and Roman Catholic also. My first cousins on my paternal side of the family are Roman Catholic because their father (My Uncle who is related to me by marriage.) and his family are full Irish. I am a non-denominational Christian but, ever sense I was very young I was greatly influenced by the Roman Catholics and their Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs in and outside my family. As a result of all of this, I have retained and preserved some of my family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs. For a example, I do the sign of the cross and say "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit! Amen!" almost everytime I pray or bless somebody/something. I really want to and I think it is extremely important retain, past down, teach, and preserve my family's Roman Catholic religion, culture, heritage, and customs because I really want all of them to really know, never forget, and be extremely proud of their ancestry, culture, heritage, and etc.

Thanks so much for reading this and for answering all of my questions! May God bless all of you always! Amen! Peace!

Love,
VikingGirlTBird!
Friend, you make my head hurt. Too complicated. The experession and practice of our faith is influenced by numerous factors, family history and country being just two. The thing is we are Catholic and that is the thing.

Old Aug 11, '12, 5:32 pm

Religion: Christian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela77 View Post
I can only properly answer your first question because I am Roman Catholic. The reason I'm Roman Catholic does have to do with my ancestry, I suppose. I am Italian and French, and those sides of the family are Catholic. However, my family in general isn't very religious, but my parents put me in Catholic religion classes though we weren't active in the Church. But I suppose I would never have known about Catholicism unless my family had that background. (And I'm soooo glad they did!!!)

Are you considering converting?
I might. I really want to learn more about Roman Catholicism because there are alot of things about it that I do not know, understand, and agree with. Plus, I think it is a extremely beautiful and peaceful religion!

Peace!
Old Aug 11, '12, 5:32 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

raised catholic, stayed catholic.
Old Aug 11, '12, 5:34 pm
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Delaine75

1) Nope! And I'm the only one in my family who converted to Catholicism (everyone else is Baptist, Pentecostal or atheist).
2) N/A
3) No. I converted because a dear friend of mine was Catholic which made me decide to look more deeply into it. When I did, I fell in love with it!
4) N/A
5) I am definitely going to try and preserve and pass down as many of the Catholic traditions as I can!
Old Aug 11, '12, 5:40 pm

I'm Catholic because of the Eucharist. I know I could not be any other religion. I did inherit my religion from my Irish ancestors. I was fortunate to go to parochial school when the nuns taught the faith. It's a beautiful thing. Sometimes we forget that as cradle Catholics. Fortunately, I was able to be with a friend who recently converted and shared her journey. I saw the Church through her eyes. It is a life long learning process and you live it daily.
Old Aug 11, '12, 6:17 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:

Born and raised Catholic....Germanic Background...

Quote:
N/A
Quote:
Certainly my reversion was influenced by the Fact that I was raised Catholic. that however was not the main reason. The main reason was simply the fact that, of all the Christian groups/traditions I looked at...None could come close to having the depth, the historical provenance, the beauty, the consistency or the sound biblical basis that the Catholic Church had....Then of course there is the Eucharist. The pinnacle of the Sacramental life.

Quote:
N/A
Quote:
Can't say that I really have "retained" the things you mention....Except that I DO happen to own a Rosary that was given to my mother - by her mother - who received it from her uncle who was a Franciscan brother on the occasion of his golden jubilee in 1924. The rosary had been blessed by his brother who was a Franciscan Priest and this blessing carries many benefits for the one who uses this rosary.
I consider it a precious family heirloom for these reasons.
The only other thing that I wish to preserve and pass on is a firmly orthodox outlook.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Aug 11, '12, 6:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Greetings Everybody!

How are all of you?

Love,
VikingGirlTBird!
My heritage is English,Irish,French Catholic on my Mothers side. My Fathers is Jamaican,Welsh Baptist. I was raised Catholic from 0-13 years old. I came away from the Church, rebelled, became Atheist. Then I started searching different churches. But those didn't feel right. I decided after 29 years away from the Catholic Church to attend Mass. As soon as I walked in, I knew I was home.
Old Aug 11, '12, 7:55 pm

I'll give it a go.

1) I'm not so sure my ancestry has anything to do with my becoming Catholic. If it does, then it's purely by happenstance. Never really thought about it before, and it never occured to me. My main reason for converting is that i've been there, done that with other churches, and i got nothing out of them.

2) Doesn't apply. To the best of my knowledge, i'll be the only Catholic in my family. I grew up secular, and a lot of my relatives are Protestant or lapsed Protestant. A friend of mine and her family are secular, and they're not into religion unless it's something they agree with.

3) Some people i knew a long time ago were Catholics. For the record, they're not related to me. My memories of them are fragments that wouldn't make sense to anyone but myself, so i'm of no help on that second part about their influences.

4) I'm gonna learn as much as i can about Catholicism. I wanna pass all this stuff down to my kids when i have them. I want them to experience the Catholic faith that i never got as a kid, and i want them to appreciate all of it.
Old Aug 12, '12, 11:11 am
Prayer Warrior

Good afternoon, Ma'am,

1. Nope.

2. Not Applicable.

3. Yep.

4. Not Applicable.

5. I converted in '68 and started wandering about '72, because of a life crisis. While wandering, I tried Shoshu Buddhism for a year; visited Jewish Synagogue; visited many different denominations of Christianity; returned to Southern Baptist Church to honor my parents because I knew I was messed up religious wise, but needed Christ in my life.
Because, although I had quit drinking in '70, started again in '74 because I had to surrender my daughter in adoption to her mother's husband ... and drank hard until '77 when I volunteered to enter AA and left AA in '78 because I found I could limit my drinking to two drinks every once in a while; I have experienced different approaches to God. While in the AA, Jesus Christ was my higher power.

One day, after I returned to the Holy Roman Catholic Church in '83, I sat down and compared results from different sources to my efforts to reform myself. Once I thought it over, I found that the Baptist Church gave me a 4 to 1f return on my efforts. I saw that the AA (at that time a strictly voluntary program) gave 1 to 1 return And, that the Holy Roman Catholic Church, it's Liturgy, the Eucharist, the Sacraments and sacramentals combined yielded a 9 to 1 return on my efforts to repent.

I also found, that the Holy Roman Catholic Church makes more of Jesus Christ available than any other Christian church I have visited or joined.

I am absent from Church at this time, although I do call the Cathedral in town from time to time, and they are good enough to send a priest to hear my confession, absolve me of sin and give me the Holy Eucharist.
I really need Christ in the Eucharist.

I hope you may also join our Holy Roman Catholic Church; I think it's the true faith, with lots of love in God's grace with His truth to all of us.

God loves you and yours,
Don

Prayer is the purest form of human love - Don D. Snow

We're all God's creatures...and some humans can be His children. - Don D. Snow

Even the ignorant, may have wisdom. Anonymous
Old Aug 12, '12, 12:42 pm
Prayer Warrior

Hi, again, ma'am,

Addendum

On another thread, I remembered that the mother of my daughter and one of her friends liked to play with a Ouija Board, when we were together. Later, after we separated, she introduced me to a married couple, the wife of which billed herself as a White witch. The wife was practicing some kind of mental science mixed with mild witchcraft and Christian religion. I learned a little from her, but put it aside after I left California and returned home to Texas.

I remembered these things, just today. We're talking about almost fifty years ago and over forty years ago. I would like to add, please, please, please, please don't mix the occult with any Christian faith, especially don't mix any thing occult with the Holy Roman Catholic faith. My daughter's mother did that, and we lost everything we had together.

God loves you,
Don

Prayer is the purest form of human love - Don D. Snow

We're all God's creatures...and some humans can be His children. - Don D. Snow

Even the ignorant, may have wisdom. Anonymous
Old Aug 12, '12, 1:05 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
"Why are you Roman Catholic?"
Because it makes sense. Albeit I'm a cradle Catholic.
Old Aug 12, '12, 2:58 pm

Quote:
I might. I really want to learn more about Roman Catholicism because there are alot of things about it that I do not know, understand, and agree with. Plus, I think it is a extremely beautiful and peaceful religion!

Peace!
Well, in that case, I'll tell you the more detailed reason for my being Catholic. As some other posters said, it doesn't have purely to do with ethnicity.

As I said, my family isn't super religious. In fact, they didn't think to Baptize me as a baby. It was only once they figured I should probably go through with First Communion that they had me Baptised and put into classes. We went to Mass a bit during that time...maybe 3-ish years. After that, we tapered off of going to Mass, but I continued in classes.

Of course, due to my family's lack of enthusiasm for Catholicism, I was just waiting to get Confirmation out of the way so I wouldn't have to go to classes anymore. About a week before Confirmation, I literally remember thinking to myself, "After this, I'm done with all this. I don't have to go to classes anymore. I don't have to feel guilty for not going to Mass. Sure, I'll keep praying, but I don't have to be that involved in organized religion. And then maybe some day when I grow up I'll become Baptist. I know a lot of nice Baptists."

I remember thinking all that. And then I was Confirmed. I can say with conviction that if people doubt the validity of the Catholic sacraments, they're wrong wrong wrong. The Holy Spirit came upon me, without a doubt. I suddenly wanted to go to Mass, wanted to be Catholic-Catholic forever and ever. In fact, now I can't even understand why I felt the way I did that week before Confirmation. Because I don't feel that way anymore!

So the reason I'm Catholic isn't really ALL due to my heritage. It's more due to my moment of conversion that took place IN the Catholic Church AT a Catholic sacrament. If those sorts of amazing things can happen in the Catholic Church, then it's the right place to be!

Good luck in your faith journey and I hope you continue to look into Catholicism. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me!! If you ever want to private message me, feel free to! I'm not some authority on the Church, but I know a fair share about it and have experienced the sacraments and Mass.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence