Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 14, '12, 1:00 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Amazon Alternative?

Often, I have used Amazon.com to order books. This web site is convenient, especially since the nearest Catholic book store is over 100 miles away. But I was troubled by a recent headline that said Amazon.com (or perhaps it was someone at one of their high level management positions) has made a donation to the same-sex union movement.

Does anyone know of an alternative to Amazon.com for ordering books?
Old Aug 14, '12, 1:05 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Amazon Alternative?

What country do you live in? Here in the US, Barnes & Noble is a major bookseller, both online and with regular stores you can visit in person. And its Nook e-book reader is a popular rival to Amazon's Kindle.
Old Aug 14, '12, 1:08 pm

If you know the ISBN number of the book(s) you want to purchase, you can find the best prices by searching isbn.nu

Sometimes the best price will still be amazon.com however.
Old Aug 14, '12, 2:21 pm

Religion: Converting from Baptist to Catholic In RCIA
Send a message via MSN to Chuck1

Just my two pennies here but I think we have to take into account that it's amazon donating not the book writers or publishers , amazon just sell the book , I wouldn't miss out on a good bargain or indeed book becuase it's not the publishers or book writers fault . It's not like ur money goes to the donation . Alternately you could try eBay Or www.tanbooks.com Depends what your looking for but amazon may still be cheaper.

Chuck
Romans 12 V2 - Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will

Chuck 1 - God Bless you .
Old Aug 14, '12, 2:28 pm
Banned

Amazon is just the outlet; generally when I buy books form Amazon, they're not "from" amazon, but a store who sells through them. Chill out. If you avoided EVERY company that did ANYTHING you didn't agree with, you'd spend your whole life doing nothing but finding alternatives, and finding them rarer and rarer.
Old Aug 14, '12, 2:41 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

For us in Washington State, it is a little more personal. Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO, made a substantial donation in support of defeating a ballot measure preserving marriage - said ballot measure receiving the full support of our Archbishop. This means that we are paying Mr. Bezos to oppose us. A message needs to be sent, and I sent mine. He has the right to his opinion, but not to my money.

Let us not also forget the little dust-up in 2010 in which Amazon assisted a self-publisher in his distribution of a book promoting pedophilia.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ama...5#.UCrGco4xra4
Old Aug 14, '12, 2:58 pm

Religion: Converting from Baptist to Catholic In RCIA
Send a message via MSN to Chuck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Juney View Post
Amazon is just the outlet; generally when I buy books form Amazon, they're not "from" amazon, but a store who sells through them. Chill out. If you avoided EVERY company that did ANYTHING you didn't agree with, you'd spend your whole life doing nothing but finding alternatives, and finding them rarer and rarer.
Thats what I was trying to say , thanks much better worded that me !
Romans 12 V2 - Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will

Chuck 1 - God Bless you .
Old Aug 14, '12, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loras1996 View Post
Does anyone know of an alternative to Amazon.com for ordering books?

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/

http://www.ignatius.com/

"God will judge us by our fidelity to His Church and our obedience to Peter." Br. Jason Richard, FFV
Old Aug 14, '12, 3:22 pm

Go to books.google.com and search for the book you want. When the results come up, on the left side of the screen will be a list of booksellers from which you can buy the book.

Here's an example.

If you are shopping for something other than a book and you don't want to buy it from Amazon, you can do the same as above by going to shopping.google.com and buying your item from a list of different stores.
Old Aug 14, '12, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
What country do you live in? Here in the US, Barnes & Noble is a major bookseller, both online and with regular stores you can visit in person. And its Nook e-book reader is a popular rival to Amazon's Kindle.

Given the political pressures on large businesses today, I would be surprised if Barnes & Noble isn't similarly situated to Amazon, in terms of contributions to causes such as "gay marriage," homosexual "rights," and "pro-choice" causes. Just a guess.
Old Aug 15, '12, 5:46 am
Forum Master

I'd give Amazon a break if I were you. It's bad enough as it is after its cloud service got knocked out and a recent screw up in its customer service blew the whistle on its security flaws.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Aug 15, '12, 6:13 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Juney View Post
Amazon is just the outlet; generally when I buy books form Amazon, they're not "from" amazon, but a store who sells through them.
That is certainly true some of the time, particularly for books which are not popular. However, it doesn't seem to be true for books which Amazon feels are good sellers.

For example, here is a Amazon page for a book which it is actually from a different store
http://www.amazon.com/Byzantium-Cent.../dp/0394537785

And here is a page for a book which Amazon is selling directly
http://www.amazon.com/Brief-History-...istory+of+time
Old Aug 15, '12, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowmik View Post
Go to books.google.com and search for the book you want. When the results come up, on the left side of the screen will be a list of booksellers from which you can buy the book.

Here's an example.

If you are shopping for something other than a book and you don't want to buy it from Amazon, you can do the same as above by going to shopping.google.com and buying your item from a list of different stores.
While Google's unofficial slogan may be "Don't be evil," the OP's reason for not wanting to support amazon.com almost certainly applies to google as well.
Old Aug 15, '12, 9:52 am
Forum Elder

That's not entirely accurate. I can often buy books from "amazon sellers" where amazon's only involvement is processing the transaction. The only thing to watch out for is a message that states "shipped by amazon." I'm not sure how that works but apparently amazon will handle shipping for some books even though the seller is not amazon. Anyway, if you see a book on amazon, you can click on, for example, "12 new from 8.99" which should be just under amazon's price. In this case, they were selling the book for $24.95. Once you click on that, you will see a list of independent stores selling the same book new, starting at $8.99.

My only caution is to check their rating number. I usually go with stores with a 95% or higher rating. The rating reflects customer satisfaction with their order.

Your other alternative is to go to any local bookstore, give them the title and author, and they should be able to order if for you with no shipping charge. My experience is waiting for about a week to 10 days for them to get it in. They usually send me a postcard to let me know it's available.

Peace,
Ed
Old Aug 15, '12, 10:10 am
Book Club Member

If I'm buying a book, I always check first at my local Catholic bookstore. It may be a couple of bucks more, but they do stuff for my local community - for example, they hosted a Catholic home-school conference in our area.

Amazon doesn't host Catholic home-school conferences in my area.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media