Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 29, '12, 8:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Re: Are lay people able to bring out the monstrance for adoration?

I have no theology to back me up. I ( I'm a laity )attend what my archdiocese (Denver) usually praises as a conservative parish. We formed a perpetual adoration chapel in 2004. Over time adorors have dropped and we've been instructed to repose the Eucharist should we need to leave & there is no one for the next hour ( Blow out the candels on the alter & light the candel by the tabernacle). When I goto my hour and the Eucharist is reposed, I take the Eucharist out, blow the candel out by the tabernacle & light the two around the monstrance. Then I read that prayer in the misselette. So, from my experience, I can say "yes"; unless we're really messed up and are biffing it bad.
Old Aug 30, '12, 12:53 pm
Greeter

Default Re: Are lay people able to bring out the monstrance for adoration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_ncl View Post
Bill, I think we are discussing several different issues here. The op's question was whether a layperson can bring out the monstrance. This led to a question of whether a person, any person, a priest or a layperson can pray before the Blessed Sacrament alone. In a further post you said:

I contradicted this by mentioning that we have a chapel where between 7.30 am-7.30 pm every day (including Sundays) anyone alone, even if they are laypeople, can do private adoration before the exposed Blessed Sacrament. The chapel was created specifically for this purpose and I don''t think this would have happened if it was liturgical abuse.

You quoted canon 942, which does say that it is recommended that for solemn exposition there has to be a community present. But as far as I can see Canon 942 does not say that someone can not have private prayer before the exposed Blessed Sacrament.
Every official document that I have read concerning the exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Canon Law, Redemptionis Sacramentum, Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass, which is published in The Rites, volume 1, all state that there must be some of the faithful in attendance when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. I have never read an official document stating that private adoration of the exposed Eucharist is allowed and was taught in the seminary that it is not allowed.

This is all I have to go by and am just providing information not making any judgments on abuses or anything. If anyone has an official Church document that states anything else I would be happy to defer to that.

Remember that just because something is done does not make it correct.

bill

Parish Clergy Devotions http://stjoan.org/worship-life-sacra...gys-devotions/
Old Aug 30, '12, 8:19 pm

I know of an Adoration chapel where the Blessed Sacrament is displayed in a small monstrance inside the tabernacle. Adoration is available 14/7, but the Blessed Sacrament is not always exposed. The procedure is, if you go in and the tabernacle is closed, you get the tabernacle key and open it, and then if no one else is present, close and lock it again before you leave. Is this problematic?
Old Sep 11, '12, 11:52 am

Bumping in hope of a response to my question above.
Old Sep 11, '12, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristella View Post
Is this problematic?
No, it isn't. The bishop (or in the case of a religious order the appropriate authority) has authorised it (otherwise the arrangement would not be in place). Go and enjoy the company of Our Lord whenever you can!
Old Sep 11, '12, 2:43 pm
Veteran Member

The Bishop sets up the norms for the local adoration chapels.

Ours, a lay person would come every Saturday Night, and bring the Blessed Sacrament into the Chapel in the nuns convent, where there was a tabernacle, The next morning one of the nuns would return the Blessed Sacrament to the Adoration Chapel.

When the nuns left the parish, they had to change the procedure, per permission of the Bishop of course. My wife and myself were last adorers scheduled on Saturday evening. We would merely put out the candle and place a small curtain in front of the Glassed Case where the Blessed Sacrament was kept.

Jim
Old Sep 11, '12, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_ncl View Post
No, it isn't. The bishop (or in the case of a religious order the appropriate authority) has authorised it (otherwise the arrangement would not be in place). Go and enjoy the company of Our Lord whenever you can!
Thank you!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality