Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Aug 24, '12, 2:29 pm
Kouyate42's Avatar
Kouyate42 Kouyate42 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 3, 2011
Posts: 6,206
Religion: On the spiritual path...again!
Send a message via MSN to Kouyate42
Default Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

In two weeks time, I'll be attending what is probably the only Catholic baptism I've ever been to, of a cousin of mine.

So I'm wondering what actually happens at a Catholic baptism and anything I should know before I actually go to the church.

Any help is appreciated. I can only apologize for a silly-sounding question.
__________________
Knight of the Holy Order of the Queen of Titan

Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of openness to novelty.
-Stephen Jay Gould

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 24, '12, 2:37 pm
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,005
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Do not fall in the baptismal fountain.
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:18 pm
grasscutter's Avatar
grasscutter grasscutter is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 10, 2011
Posts: 2,920
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Would the baptism be during Mass or held separately?

Either way, the Priest will direct the proceedings so it should be easy to follow. If you're comfortable with it, upon entering the Nave it is customary to look for the tabernacle and genuflect. Which is normally done directly before entering the pew where you'll be sitting.

Other than that, what might be your specific questions?
__________________
And they'll know we are Christians by our love.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:21 pm
Allegra's Avatar
Allegra Allegra is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 11, 2011
Posts: 5,404
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

It actually depends on the parish. Most parishes baptise during a regular Sunday Mass. If that's the case, there will be an opening hymn and prayer, followed by some readings from scripture, followed by a homily, followed by the Baptism, and finally followed by the Eucharist. Unless you are asked to be a witness, you won't have to do anything but watch. If you want to follow along with the Mass, you can often find a missal in the pew, which has the readings and responses. If you don't feel comfortable saying the Mass, it would be fine for you to watch respectfully. Obviously, you should not go up to recieve the Eucharist. Unless the priest specifically invites you to come up for a blessing at the time, I would remain in the pew. Some parishes have Baptisms at a seperate time outside of Mass.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:25 pm
oldcatholicguy oldcatholicguy is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2012
Posts: 2,435
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouyate42 View Post
In two weeks time, I'll be attending what is probably the only Catholic baptism I've ever been to, of a cousin of mine.

So I'm wondering what actually happens at a Catholic baptism and anything I should know before I actually go to the church.

Any help is appreciated. I can only apologize for a silly-sounding question.
Well first the priest makes sure everyone shows their secret Catholic decoder ring, then...


Assuming you aren't one of godparents there really isn't much you have to do. The priest will have the parents, godparents, and child gather around the baptismal font, he will then read the baptismal ceremony from a pamphlet, at some point he will ask the p's and gp's some questions, they'll respond, then he'll baptize the child. I forget if there is a portion for non-p and gp Catholics at the baptism. If there is, you (as a non-Catholic) just don't take part in that portion. If you are one of the godparents, I suggest you get with the priest ahead of time for better guidence.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:35 pm
SonCatcher SonCatcher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2010
Posts: 6,027
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter View Post
Would the baptism be during Mass or held separately?

Either way, the Priest will direct the proceedings so it should be easy to follow. If you're comfortable with it, upon entering the Nave it is customary to look for the tabernacle and genuflect. Which is normally done directly before entering the pew where you'll be sitting.

Other than that, what might be your specific questions?
not quite, in this case. Nice try, grasscutter.

Kouyate,

Since you are not Catholic, you would not be expected to genuflect toward the tabernacle. Catholics do so to reverence Jesus, present in the Eucharist.

If the baptism is held during Mass, you should also not go forward for Communion.

Other than that, you'll do just fine. Sit back and enjoy.

__________________
-John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:37 pm
codefro codefro is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 24, 2010
Posts: 805
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouyate42 View Post
In two weeks time, I'll be attending what is probably the only Catholic baptism I've ever been to, of a cousin of mine.

So I'm wondering what actually happens at a Catholic baptism and anything I should know before I actually go to the church.

Any help is appreciated. I can only apologize for a silly-sounding question.
I would say be ready for the most joyous experience of these people's lives.
__________________
In Nomine Patris Et Filii Spiritus Sancti
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:38 pm
Aeden Aeden is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 682
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcatholicguy View Post
Well first the priest makes sure everyone shows their secret Catholic decoder ring, then...


Assuming you aren't one of godparents there really isn't much you have to do. The priest will have the parents, godparents, and child gather around the baptismal font, he will then read the baptismal ceremony from a pamphlet, at some point he will ask the p's and gp's some questions, they'll respond, then he'll baptize the child. I forget if there is a portion for non-p and gp Catholics at the baptism. If there is, you (as a non-Catholic) just don't take part in that portion. If you are one of the godparents, I suggest you get with the priest ahead of time for better guidence.
Could he be a godparent, though? He'd need to be a confirmed Catholic, he has something else listed, so I'd assume not. If he was a GP, there'd be a problem with the baptism itself, wouldn't there?

Aside from that, the priest usually gives clear instructions to the congregation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Aug 24, '12, 3:41 pm
yukonbrad yukonbrad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 5, 2012
Posts: 318
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
not quite, in this case. Nice try, grasscutter.

Kouyate,

Since you are not Catholic, you would not be expected to genuflect toward the tabernacle. Catholics do so to reverence Jesus, present in the Eucharist.

If the baptism is held during Mass, you should also not go forward for Communion.

Other than that, you'll do just fine. Sit back and enjoy.

One can go forward and recieve a blessing if they so choose.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Aug 24, '12, 4:12 pm
LoyalViews's Avatar
LoyalViews LoyalViews is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: November 11, 2009
Posts: 2,623
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

After the homily, there will then be the baptism. Unless it's a private baptism, this is the usual.

There's no need to go up for a blessing at Communion, and technically it isn't allowed either. This is a great, holy, and dramatic time during the most Holy Sacrifice, and it's for receiving Our Lord. A more appropriate time would be after Mass

Have fun!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Aug 24, '12, 4:20 pm
oldcatholicguy oldcatholicguy is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 21, 2012
Posts: 2,435
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
Could he be a godparent, though? He'd need to be a confirmed Catholic, he has something else listed, so I'd assume not. If he was a GP, there'd be a problem with the baptism itself, wouldn't there?

Aside from that, the priest usually gives clear instructions to the congregation.
As far as I understand it only one godparent needs to be Catholic. The non-Catholic godparent is called a sponsor. I didn't mention that to keep my post simple.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Aug 24, '12, 6:03 pm
grasscutter's Avatar
grasscutter grasscutter is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 10, 2011
Posts: 2,920
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
not quite, in this case. Nice try, grasscutter.

Kouyate,

Since you are not Catholic, you would not be expected to genuflect toward the tabernacle. Catholics do so to reverence Jesus, present in the Eucharist.

If the baptism is held during Mass, you should also not go forward for Communion.

Other than that, you'll do just fine. Sit back and enjoy.

Woo hoo!!! I had a nice try! Which is way better than "you are totally wrong and therefore completely suck!". Thank you for your tact and I agree with what you said.
__________________
And they'll know we are Christians by our love.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Aug 24, '12, 6:11 pm
tabycat's Avatar
tabycat tabycat is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 21, 2012
Posts: 2,505
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic attending a Catholic baptism...what to expect?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8021Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Roddy1234
4814CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: libralion
4283Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Christine85
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3809SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3357Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3181Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3144Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2957For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: libralion
2675Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:16 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.