Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 26, '12, 1:29 pm

Religion: rc
Default Consecrated Lay Women

I would like to know if there are any women out there who are Catholic and have professed Vows(poverty, chastity and obedience) with a spiritual director, priest or bishop and are living a rule of life as a Consecrated Lay Woman.
Old Aug 26, '12, 2:08 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Consecrated Lay Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
I would like to know if there are any women out there who are Catholic and have professed Vows(poverty, chastity and obedience) with a spiritual director, priest or bishop and are living a rule of life as a Consecrated Lay Woman.
Depends on what you mean by consecrated. Are you referring to a participant in a secular institute, or a Consecrated Virgin?

Some lay associations have consecrates, depending on the organization's charism.

Blessings,
Cloisters
Old Aug 26, '12, 2:27 pm

Religion: rc

Consecrated through private vows with a spiritual director or bishop , so not through a Secular Institute or the Rite of Consecrated Virginity.
Old Aug 26, '12, 2:40 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Consecrated through private vows with a spiritual director or bishop , so not through a Secular Institute or the Rite of Consecrated Virginity.
I was reading this section of the Canon recently, I thought (I can certainly be wrong) that private vows don't consecrate. Consecration is through public vows recognized by a Bishop.
Old Aug 26, '12, 2:56 pm
Book Club Member

Private vows do not make one consecrated.

Only public vows, appropriately recieved by a Superior or Bishop, usually made in the context of a Mass, make one a consecrated person.

Secular Third Orders, while making promises or vows in front of witnesses, are not public vows. They are still private vows and do not make one a consecrated person.

About the closest thing to being a single consecrated person would be either: Order of Virgins or Diocesan Hermit. Both of which take serious discernment and is often a long process done with the Bishop or Vocations Director of the diocese.
Old Aug 26, '12, 4:16 pm
Prayer Warrior

I am, I made my first profession last september and will be renewing in September Renewal for three years before taking perpetual vows. The entire process takes about 7 years. I am a member of the holy family institute(for married or widowed--but they also have vows for single men and women) a part of the Pauline family. I am on my cell phone but feel free to pm me for more info or the phone number for more information. Chris
Old Aug 26, '12, 4:41 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I am, I made my first profession last september and will be renewing in September Renewal for three years before taking perpetual vows. The entire process takes about 7 years. I am a member of the holy family institute(for married or widowed--but they also have vows for single men and women) a part of the Pauline family. I am on my cell phone but feel free to pm me for more info or the phone number for more information. Chris
I was consecrated once but I ate some bran and it fixed me right up!
Old Aug 26, '12, 7:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have made private vows to the evangelical counsels through a spiritual director, which is ongoing. This is not the consecrated life, but a dedicated life. Under Canon Law, consecrated life has specific definitions and private vows are not one of them. Initially I made the vows for one year for around 8 years and then for life. I have a distinct way of life that is based on The Gospel. If one wishes and with the agreement of the celebrant, private vows may be made at Mass.
I think it unwise to make private vows without consulting a spiritual director and on an ongoing basis for the life of the vows.

It is interesting that Pope Paul II in Vita Consecrata in giving thanks for the consecrated life in all its forms, does include :
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo...ecrata_en.html
Quote:
We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration.
Nevertheless, to distinguish consecrated life as in Canon Law, private vows are, it seems (according to Canon Lawyers I have read), referred to as a dedicated life.
Old Mar 22, '13, 7:44 pm
Inactive Member

I am a sister with the Eudist Servant of the 11th Hour, an association of consecrated Lay women. Here are 2 web sites that will tell you a little about us. www.eudistservants.org or www.sisterlillian.ning.com You may have to copy and paste to the address bar. or google Mother Antonia Brenner
Old Mar 22, '13, 9:00 pm

Religion: New Catholic (former Pentecostal as of early 2011

I also know there is there is this group called Regnum Christi. I don't know too much about them only that they do wonderful work. I have included their website below.

http://www.regnumchristi.org/english/
Old Mar 23, '13, 4:03 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretGarden View Post
I also know there is there is this group called Regnum Christi. I don't know too much about them only that they do wonderful work. I have included their website below.

http://www.regnumchristi.org/english/
When I was little I thought "consecrated" meant you needed to take some laxative!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations