Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 27, '12, 2:18 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default How do we stop people from "Double Dipping" (attending both catholic and protestant services.

Okay, so i've noticed quite a few people, especially when I was in college (i graduated last may). that often you'd have quite a few people who would double dip and go to both catholic and protestant services, or switch every couple of weeks. Anyway what would be the best way to tell these people they are in the wrong. For example at our Newman Center there was a girl who was very involved with us but served on Campus Crusades servant team as well and continues to be very involved with running it. She even considers herself more "christian" than catholic and sees no problem with either since they both are ways to God (which is strange because she's not some typical religious liberal who sees all religion as equal)
Now I am okay with attending meeting (since they are not really services I don't see much harm and fortunately in my area they aren't very openly anti catholic since i live in an area that is very lutheran and catholic.) Anyway how can we stop these people? Sometimes they leave, but we always had a few who kept going to both services or would be very involved in cru and still go to mass.
Old Aug 27, '12, 2:28 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: How do we stop people from "Double Dipping" (attending both catholic and protestant services.

why is this a big concern?

I did a lot of searching for what i believed in while i was at college. I had many discussions with friends about all different things about their beliefs and mine. When a Jehovah Witness or Mormons came to my door, I invited them in to see what they had to say. And I had a great friend who was involved with Campus Crusade - and he wanted my to go with him to their meetings.

It took a while before i questioned myself what i was doing. I started to see some anti-Catholic sentiment. But - at that age - i would not have welcomed someone pointing it out. I needed to discover it for myself. All that while, I kept going to Catholic services.

If someone had told me i was not welcome to do that, who knows - i may have gone a different direction.

I think you should welcome these people with open arms. Tell them that they are welcome in your congregation - and make them want to participate. What's that song we sing at our church? Oh yeah "All are welcome, all are welcome in this place."

They may be your future.
Old Aug 27, '12, 4:07 pm

Default Re: How do we stop people from "Double Dipping" (attending both catholic and protestant services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjammin View Post
Okay, so i've noticed quite a few people, especially when I was in college (i graduated last may). that often you'd have quite a few people who would double dip and go to both catholic and protestant services, or switch every couple of weeks. Anyway what would be the best way to tell these people they are in the wrong. For example at our Newman Center there was a girl who was very involved with us but served on Campus Crusades servant team as well and continues to be very involved with running it. She even considers herself more "christian" than catholic and sees no problem with either since they both are ways to God (which is strange because she's not some typical religious liberal who sees all religion as equal)
Now I am okay with attending meeting (since they are not really services I don't see much harm and fortunately in my area they aren't very openly anti catholic since i live in an area that is very lutheran and catholic.) Anyway how can we stop these people? Sometimes they leave, but we always had a few who kept going to both services or would be very involved in cru and still go to mass.
Well if she is Catholic she shouldn't be taking part in any Protestant bread and wine/grape juice services because Saint Paul specifically warns against profaining the body and blood of Christ. This is also why Catholics don't allow non Catholics to accept the Eucharist not because we don't want them to have it, but because it is a confirmation that you believe the host is the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ and you would be lying if you took it and didn't believe it and profaning Christ. It is also why not that long ago people used to go to confession on Saturday nights so they would be in a state of grace before mass and accepting the Eucharist so they wouldn't profane it and any Catholic in a state of mortal sin needs to go to Confession before they accept the Eucharist otherwise they would be profaning the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ.
Old Aug 27, '12, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP3243 View Post
It is also why not that long ago people used to go to confession on Saturday nights so they would be in a state of grace before mass and accepting the Eucharist so they wouldn't profane it and any Catholic in a state of mortal sin needs to go to Confession before they accept the Eucharist otherwise they would be profaning the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ.
Whoa Nelly! As someone who goes to confession every Saturday evening before Mass on Sunday, I must step in and correct that not everyone who goes to Confession on Saturday is in the state of mortal sin. Myself, and many others go out of devotion to confess our venial sins so that our soul is as clean as possible for Mass on Sunday. Further, it's really difficult to get yourself into trouble on Saturday night when you're at Church.
Old Aug 27, '12, 4:26 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Okay, so i've noticed quite a few people, especially when I was in college (i graduated last may). that often you'd have quite a few people who would double dip and go to both catholic and protestant services, or switch every couple of weeks. Anyway what would be the best way to tell these people they are in the wrong.
The best choice, IMO, is to not say anything at all and turn your attention elsewhere.
Old Aug 27, '12, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Tie them up and only let them out for Mass
Seriously, there is no way to "stop" them. That is the wrong approach. Nobody wants to be told what to do or be made to feel bad. They should be treated with love. Try to beef up the spirituality and Catholic fellowship. I can tell you from my own experience that often the Protestant groups are more dynamic and interesting and challenging than the Catholic groups, and that appeals to a lot of younger folks. They like the music, the praise, the excitement, the fellowship etc. That is just the reality, right or wrong.

You have to find a way to meet the challenge. I don't mean you have to be just like the Protestant groups, you are Catholic, but find out what attracts people and go from there. Pray hard to the Holy Spirit to guide you. He is the one that touches hearts. It is vital that you do this. The Catholic Church is very beautiful and has a lot of spiritual depth and richness--try to promote this.

Good luck. May the Holy Spirit guide you.
Old Aug 27, '12, 4:32 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Okay, so i've noticed quite a few people, especially when I was in college (i graduated last may). that often you'd have quite a few people who would double dip and go to both catholic and protestant services, or switch every couple of weeks. Anyway what would be the best way to tell these people they are in the wrong.
Unless you have spiritual authority over them (you are their priest, their parent, or their youth group leader) you stay out of it and just look to yourself, to make sure you are setting the best possible example for them.

But you should never accost a stranger and tell them what you think their sins are. This is counterproductive, most of the time.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Aug 27, '12, 4:59 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=benjammin;9701719]Okay, so i've noticed quite a few people, especially when I was in college (i graduated last may). that often you'd have quite a few people who would double dip and go to both catholic and protestant services, or switch every couple of weeks. Anyway what would be the best way to tell these people they are in the wrong. For example at our Newman Center there was a girl who was very involved with us but served on Campus Crusades servant team as well and continues to be very involved with running it. She even considers herself more "christian" than catholic and sees no problem with either since they both are ways to God (which is strange because she's not some typical religious liberal who sees all religion as equal)
The answer is clear BUT not easy

Anyone who actually knows why they are Catholic and what we believe and WHY and how we can believe it would not be doing this.

The answer lies in TEACHING who and What we Are and WHY we are different.

The NT alone has over 100 evidences of JUST one Church being founded by Christ and ONLY One Faith [set of beliefs being acceptable to Him]

John.10: 16 “And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd”

Ps.127:1 “Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain”

Eph. 4: 1-7 “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all lowliness and meekness, with patience, forbearing one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body[ONE CHURCH] and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith,[ONLY One set of beliefs] one baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all.

Eph. 2:19-20 “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.”

Eph. 3: 9-10 “And to make all men see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; that through the church [singular] the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places. This was according to the eternal purpose which he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord,

IF they don't understand the Sacramnets especailly The Eucharist and Confession they have no foundation not to go elsewhere

God Bless,
Pat/PJM

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Aug 27, '12, 5:25 pm

This will go one of two ways. Assuming that the people who alternate back and forth are baptized Catholics, i'm guessing they want to give the Protestant service a chance and see what it's all about for curiosity's sake. Maybe they have friends who are Protestant, and are attending the service for them. Or like someone else said, maybe the Protestant service is presented in an appealing way. Either way, all you can do is pray that they will stay true to their Catholic faith. It isn't up to you to be the Mass Police, whatever connections they have with the Protestant service is between them and God, and their priest if need be. Bringing it up with them will only cause more problems, not to mention that it's beyond inappropriate in the first place.

Now let's operate under the assumption that the church hoppers are Protestant or they're of the nonreligious persuasion wanting to come home. Maybe they're exploring Catholicism while still maintaining ties with their Protestant church out of familiarity. Who knows? Maybe they'll eventually convert if that's the deal, and any association with the other church will cease in time.

Going with the assumption that they aren't Catholic, you can show them how things are done. Let them know that as a non-Catholic, they can't receive the Eucharist, but they are welcome to attend Mass with you nonetheless. This should be the extent of your involvement in this case. Do NOT for one second make them feel bad about dabbling with the Protestant service, whatever their reasons are for doing so. Don't mention a single word of it to them. If they want to talk about it on their own volition, they will. If not, then they won't.
Old Aug 27, '12, 5:27 pm

Quote:
I am a devout Catholic, and yet, I was an officer for a similar Protestant/Evangelical student organization in College. I went to mass every week, and was even EMHC and reader, but the Christian org did more, I guess, than the Catholic group. After my Freshman year, I stayed in it mostly because I was chasing a girl , who broke up with me my senior year after I tried to impress her by becoming an officer (she was also an officer so there was a lot of drama, lol).

But, also during my Senior year, FOCUS missionaries (Fellowship of Catholic University Students) came to campus. One of them nagged me into joining his weekly bible study, and after I relented, I was floored - scripture just made sense! All throughout my dealings with Protestants, I brushed off people telling me that the Catholic Church contradicted scripture. I knew it didn't, but only had Sunday readings as my primary reference point.

With FOCUS, we did a scripture study following the history of salvation, showing how God raised up the Israelites with greater miracle after greater miracle, even after they fell away so many times. It showed the elaborate ancient liturgies, with incense and robed priests, documented in the bible that our own mass is inspired by (contrasting spartan Protestant worship). It showed how Jesus Christ's sacrifice were foreshadowed at Salem by Abraham slaughtering the lamb in lieu of his own son, on the spot that became the Temple of Jerusalem. It showed the miracle of Christ's resurrection was the ultimate fulfillment of all previous miracles, and the Sacraments of Baptism and Reconciliation provide continuing redemption for those who fall.

Most important to me, was scripture's vindication of our veneration of Mary. The parallel of Mary to Bathsheba, mother of King Solomon, found in the book of Kings spoke to me in a way that I can't even share with words. It has become my signature for posts on this forum!

My point in all this is that people are trying to feel like they belong. Even if they are faithful, a lukewarm parish life might not fulfill their social needs. For me, it was the work of a very dedicated missionary just a year or so older than me that really re-lit the flames of my faith, particularly in a dark and confusing time following my break up.

There is no easy answer, but to start, one's peers need to step up and share the faith!
Old Aug 27, '12, 6:11 pm

Religion: Lutheran converting to Catholicism

I was a double dipper! I went to both Lutheran and Catholic services for years. It became obvious that Catholicism was the right "way," and I'm converting. But I sometimes still attend Lutheran services with family, even though they now feel "empty." I don't partake of Communion there, though.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who was raised Catholic started double dipping in college, too, and she ended up leaving the Catholic Church for your basic non-denom evangelical stuff. I think the big reason for her leaving has less to do with her double dipping than with her getting involved in Chi Alpha, the big Christian group on campus. I attended Chi Alpha at first, but didn't like it and stuck to Catholic Catholic Ministry.
Old Aug 27, '12, 6:32 pm

I wouldn't discourage anyone from their spiritual journey. If they are a Catholic, you might gently remind the that a Protestant service doesn't count for their obligation, but there could be any number of reasons they are attending both services.
Old Aug 28, '12, 5:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
Whoa Nelly! As someone who goes to confession every Saturday evening before Mass on Sunday, I must step in and correct that not everyone who goes to Confession on Saturday is in the state of mortal sin. Myself, and many others go out of devotion to confess our venial sins so that our soul is as clean as possible for Mass on Sunday. Further, it's really difficult to get yourself into trouble on Saturday night when you're at Church.
I hope that people who read my comment don't think that people who go to confession Saturday nights all have mortal sins!!! That wasn't my intention of writing that. My point was that it wasn't that long ago that people either made a habit or were told to go to confession on Saturday night by their Bishop and then went to mass just to be safe because it is that serious of an offense. My second point which may have been blurred with the first, was if you have committed a mortal sin you have to go to confession (any day of the week) so you can worthily receive communion. I think it is so wonderful that you go to confession weekly! I was listening to EWTN Radio and they said that more than 50% of Catholics have never even gone to confession which makes me sad because it is such a wonderful gift that God has given us that we can be in communion with him as often as we make the effort to repent and confess our sins. The priests also give really good advice to help you. Confession becomes easier the more you go. I was nervous when I went to confession a few weeks ago and for some random reason the background music that was playing in the church was Christmas music which became such a calming thing to me that I was able to think more clearly and be at ease when I approached the confessional because I am usually a bumbling idiot, I forget things I want to confess even when I write them down and I forget the act of contrition. My guess is that I am not the only person that forgets the act of contrition because it is posted on the wall in the confessional.
Old Aug 28, '12, 6:13 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (Episcopalian)

You haven't made a case--nor has anyone else in the many times this subject has come up--that there's anything wrong with "double dipping" under current Catholic discipline.

That assumes of course that the "double dippers"

a. are not receiving communion in Protestant churches (that is certainly still forbidden by canon law);

b. are attending Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation; and

c. Do not deny any Catholic teachings.

The Vatican has a document addressing questions of proper Catholic participation in worship with non-Catholics. I appear to be the only person on this forum who pays any attention to this document--the Catholics routinely have long arguments on the subject without bothering to cite the official Vatican guidelines. I find this frustrating.

Edwin
Old Aug 28, '12, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
You haven't made a case--nor has anyone else in the many times this subject has come up--that there's anything wrong with "double dipping" under current Catholic discipline.

That assumes of course that the "double dippers"

a. are not receiving communion in Protestant churches (that is certainly still forbidden by canon law);

b. are attending Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation; and

c. Do not deny any Catholic teachings.

The Vatican has a document addressing questions of proper Catholic participation in worship with non-Catholics. I appear to be the only person on this forum who pays any attention to this document--the Catholics routinely have long arguments on the subject without bothering to cite the official Vatican guidelines. I find this frustrating.

Edwin
I think if you double dip you should know a head of time which things the particular Protestant denomination disagrees with the Church on, otherwise you might be really confused. John Chapter 6 for Catholics has a drastically different meaning than it does to Protestants. I also am not certain why people double dip to begin with Catholic or Protestant unless they are just curious, I more understand if a Catholic goes to different Catholic churches because the priest is different or if they go to two different Churches in the same weekend even though the First Reading from the Old Testament, the Psalms we sing, the Second reading from St. Paul and the Gosepl readings will be the same on Sunday or any day for that matter you could get two really good homilies about the same gospel reading. I sometimes go to my own Church on Saturday nights and grandmother's Church on Sunday and get two awesome homilies about the same Gospel reading. I also get the Eucharist twice!!!!!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization