Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 3, '05, 11:14 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Which are the liberal diocese in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledog
So, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being +Rembert Weakland and 10 being +Fabian Bruskewitz), I would rate our bishop a 3, our pastor a 2, and our diocese as a whole a 4.
That is the best scale in the history of scales. We have a new Archbishop here in Kansas City, but I would say that so far, he rates 8.5, maybe even 9!

"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin, 4/17/88
Old Sep 4, '05, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisknapp
Just wondering.

I live in the diocese of Milwaukee, where do you think it ranks?
solidly aboard the barque of Peter, possibly in the port bow quadrant, just where it has been since Abp. Messmer's time. I've been in Milwaukee since 1974, and have been exceedingly blessed by it. We have also been extremely fortunate in our bishops all that time --- pious, humble, and devoted and diligent men who truly love, protect, and teach the faithful, and guard us against the Church-political warfare, since the professionally outraged have believed that Milwaukee is their own little battlefield since at least Abp. Stritch's time ......

karen marie, happy Cathedral parishioner
Old Sep 5, '05, 6:40 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmknapp
solidly aboard the barque of Peter, possibly in the port bow quadrant, just where it has been since Abp. Messmer's time. I've been in Milwaukee since 1974, and have been exceedingly blessed by it. We have also been extremely fortunate in our bishops all that time --- pious, humble, and devoted and diligent men who truly love, protect, and teach the faithful, and guard us against the Church-political warfare, since the professionally outraged have believed that Milwaukee is their own little battlefield since at least Abp. Stritch's time ......

karen marie, happy Cathedral parishioner
I've heard that our last Archbishop, Weakland, was considered a bit on the "liberal" side. Is this true?

Peace
Old Sep 6, '05, 4:36 pm

Send a message via AIM to mosher Send a message via Skype™ to mosher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisknapp
I've heard that our last Archbishop, Weakland, was considered a bit on the "liberal" side. Is this true?

Peace
Liberal is an understatement.

Br. Gabriel Thomas Mosher, OP

***Tolerance is the last virtue of a man with no convictions - GK Chesterton***
Old Sep 6, '05, 4:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosher
Liberal is an understatement.
I've heard this, but in what way?

Peace
Old Sep 6, '05, 5:29 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoOrthodox
Cardinal George is surely aware of St. Sabina's 'Faith Community'. I believe he couldn't NOT be aware. I don't like to armchair quarterback, and I love my Cardinal very much, but I really wish he would stop this garbage.
Oh yes, Father Phleger ::looking from one side to the other, and sighing with abit of a cough:: Father Phleger has been a problem since Bernadin. He was probably a problem for Cardinal Cody, but there was enough of circus going on then from Cardinal Cody. I don't think anybody knows what to do with Father Phleger. It's wrong NOT to say something in my opinion, but I think they all just hope he will go away or join some liberal protestant sect. I wish somebody would tell Father that to act the way he does, constanly grandstanding and being obnoxious, goes beyond the pale of priestly behavior.
(Hey, I just told him just now, and I bet he doesn't listen!) Maybe his Eminence could sponsor Father Phleger on a tour of cities, starting in say, oh, Harare, and heading into Kabul, then maybe Baghdad... You know, to spread the message, give him the opportunity to put his beliefs into practice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoOrthodox
...Anyhoo, the pastor from St. Gertrude's parish is one of the voices.
Here's a bit of his piece:
Since arriving at St. Gertrude's in 1984...

Well, don't try St. Greg's or St. Ita's either. The guy who posted earlier was right: North side, kind of more heterodox; south side, with a few exceptions, less heterodox. You might try St. Hilary's if you don't feel like trekking to SJC until St. Gelasius gets finished. They (St. Hilary's) produced at least one very orthodox priest I know. Or come on out to the burbs on the Metra. It isn't only the lower home prices that have us out here!
Old Sep 28, '05, 10:16 pm

Well, it isn't a problem 'traveling' to SJC, as it's only ten minutes up the road. I live in Chicago, and must continue to do so, as I'm a city employee, not to mention I wouldn't move out of the city because I love Thai food and museums as well.
Glad you mentioned St. Greg's and St. Ita's. I've passed both, and thought, "Wow! What pretty Churches! Maybe I'll stop in sometime!"
I didn't mean to imply that I dislike in any way SJC. I love that Church, and go there every Sunday. I just think that maybe I'll trek to SG once it's done since I have some fond friends there, and have found it hard to make friends at SJC.
But thanks! It's nice to know there are nice Catholics in the 'burbs, and I appreciate the olive branch.
Old Sep 29, '05, 9:23 am

Religion: cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5
What makes Detroit a liberal diocese?
Quote:
Originally Posted by netmilsmom
It took a direct meeting with JPII to have Miada agree to a TLM. People had been writing for years begging for it.
The Detroit Archdiocese is a mixed bag of some younger solidly orthodox priests and the old guard of heterodox priests. Unfortunately, the Cardinal for the archdiocese continues to promote along with orthodox priests some of the old guard heterodox into greater positions of influence. For example, one particular Monsignor who is known as a seat of heterodoxy while widely adored in some circles, was recently assigned link to position of oversight in the Detroit archdiocese.

Commentary excerpt by Michael Rose author ofGoodbye, Good Men”:

“During the time of the conversation I asked about several faculty members, including Monsignor John Zens [Zenz] and Father Halfpenny, two Detroit priests that are typically described as avowed liberals about whom complaints from Sacred Heart seminarians are consistently rendered.

“(Interestingly, I later contacted Fr. Johansen—the reviewer of my book—about Monsignor Zens [Zenz] and Fr. Halfpenny. He was more forthcoming, and admitted in an email: "I am quite familiar with Msgr. Zenz, and I am aware that he is widely (and probably accurately) held by orthodox Catholics in the Archdiocese of Detroit to be a significant locus of the heterodoxy and dissent which plagues the Archdiocese.” http://www.cruxnews.com/goodbye.html

Excerpt from RCF update!:

“A report on Detroit would not be complete without a mention of Call To Action (CTA).

“CTA seems to have friends in very high places in the Archdiocese of Detroit.

“According to the fall issue of the CTA of Michigan newsletter, Msgr. John Zenz, the moderator of the curia (which is equivalent to the being the chief executive officer for the archdiocese) and Msgr. Gerald Martin, editor of The Michigan Catholic both met with leaders of CTA of Michigan and CTA was delighted with what they were told”.

“The mere fact that Msgr. Zenz met with CTA, the pro-abortion, anti-magisterial dissident group speaks volumes. Bear in mind that Cardinal Maida has refused to discuss any issues with RCF.”

http://www.rcf.org/Old_web/Press/AMDG/1998aprilframe01.htm
“Even to the death fight for truth, and the Lord your God will battle for you.” Sirach 4:28
Old Sep 29, '05, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayCityRickL
Yup, that's exactly it. That's why I don't attend Mass anymore in the Diocese of Saginaw, even with a new bishop who is supposed to be an orthodox bishop. I have it in writing from him that he doesn't support the Catechism.
I was skimming the boards and was saddened to read the above. Can you elaborate?
Old Nov 27, '05, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by singerlady
I was skimming the boards and was saddened to read the above. Can you elaborate?
I would ignore this. Judging from what I have read about your Bishop and by your Bishop he supports every word of the Catechism. Rick must be mistaken.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments