Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '12, 6:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Long Island Medium

This comes down to psychics and mediums in a whole.

How far are we supposed believe that mediums go? With the host of Long Island Medium, Theresa Caputo, she gained this gift. Although, I doubt she'd ever say if she contacted the occult to gain this ability... She claims that the spirits come to her rather than her contacting them. Then she sees them everywhere and approaches the everyday stranger on the street.

Literally, as I type this... she was contacting a Catholic spirit and assured a a nervous Catholic woman that this contacting of spirits was okay.

When does the "entertainment" of psychics and mediums become too much? Is it sinful for a Catholic to assume what she (or any medium/mind reader/psychic) says is true?
Old Sep 9, '12, 6:21 pm
Veteran Member

Default Re: Long Island Medium

There is zero chance that this is supported by the Church in any way.

Catholics are forbidden to take part in such practices, either by conjuring up the dead directly or consulting those who claim to be able to do so.

From the Catechism
Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.
What she does is not a gift. It is an exploitation of people who are hurting and desperate after the death of a loved one.

The fact that she claims that the dead approach her of their own volition shows her foolishness. If these spirits are real, then they are not the gentle souls of the dead who wish to communicate with their relatives who are still alive. They are instead demons - satanic spirits - in disguise.

No good can come of it.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Sep 9, '12, 7:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian, former Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyeotee View Post

How far are we supposed believe that mediums go? With the host of Long Island Medium, Theresa Caputo, she gained this gift. Although, I doubt she'd ever say if she contacted the occult to gain this ability... She claims that the spirits come to her rather than her contacting them. Then she sees them everywhere and approaches the everyday stranger on the street.

Literally, as I type this... she was contacting a Catholic spirit and assured a a nervous Catholic woman that this contacting of spirits was okay.

When does the "entertainment" of psychics and mediums become too much? Is it sinful for a Catholic to assume what she (or any medium/mind reader/psychic) says is true?
Theresa Caputo is a fascinating individual and catholic, who uses her psychic abilities to pass messages on to people who have lost loved ones. While she appears to be doing good by moving these people's lives forwards, one has to question who or what is behind these impressions she is receiving.

In the book "Demons in Disguise" by Steve Wohlberg, the author refers to the story of King Saul, who fell out of God's favor by refusing to listen to God's prophet, Samuel. Upon Samuel's death, Saul was moved to seek a fortune teller (witch) before an impending battle and received a visit from an "apparition in the image of Samuel" and "words of prophecy".

..."Moreover," the demon declared (apparition), "the Lord will also deliver Israel with you into the land of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines." This is precisely what happened (see 1 Sam. 31). Thus demons can-in a limited sense-sometimes foretell the future. Those who trust fortune tellers should be aware of this. Just because a person, or a spirit, accuratly predicts some pending event, this is no proof of divine inspiration."

God Himself has condemned the use of psychics and fortune tellers and we would be wise to take heed. The devil is the "father of lies" and can appear as an "angel of light" so it would be in our best interests to obey God and keep ourselves far removed from this kind of occult activitiy.

As for "dealing in the occult", many psychics are naturally gifted individuals who, unfortunately are being led by the voice of the devil. Having a gift of prophecy or "knowing" does not make one a "witch" or "fortune teller" as long as that gift is used for the glory of God. The problem is that most individuals are not able to discern the difference between what is good and evil until it is too late.
Old Sep 9, '12, 8:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Delaine75

I watched several of her episodes and I'm not convinced of her "gift". She's a bit obnoxious about it. Just my personal thoughts on it, but I believe if someone is really given this gift, they aren't going to flaunt it and televise it and make money off of it. Just my two cents, though!
Old Sep 9, '12, 8:16 pm

I once read a book about exorcism and the Priest ,who was the author ,mentioned that there are very holy LAY people with these gifts and are able to practice their gifts and assist exorcists under certain guidelines. One of those guidlines was that they cannot receive payment of any kind for their services. It was very interesting. I think the book may have been "The Rite". Anybody heard of this?

Last edited by PrayRosary; Sep 9, '12 at 8:28 pm.
Old Sep 9, '12, 8:24 pm
Forum Master

I only ever watched a couple episodes myself probably because of all the hype and for the life of me just can't get into this show.

Another thing, that makes me wonder how do we know if these people that she "interviews" are not paid actors and actresses?

Hmm, makes me think of the three-card-monte

Although, this is not a Private Revalation nor do I claim to be a psychic or would I ever claim to be. A visionary, mystic, or anything "special" I've had many things that happened to me that are beyond my understanding.

All in all Theresa Caputo needs our Prayers for conversion and repentance.

God bless,

goforgoal
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī
Old Sep 10, '12, 6:50 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Methodist

Quote:
All in all Theresa Caputo needs our Prayers for conversion and repentance.
This.
Honestly, I find her creepy in the extreme. Most "psychics" [so called] are just boring. She has a darker feel to her stuff, & that line about "a Catholic spirit" saying that what she does is OK, is the most outrageous bit yet. Makes me feel like I need to wash out my thoughts with hot soapy water to get rid of the yuckiness left by her.
What does that even mean, a "Catholic spirit"?
The woman is bad news, & INMSHO, any spirits she "contacts" aren't welcome in my house. (Neither is she).

And now our own dear Bro, too, has crossed over the river, where he rests under the shade of the trees...
Old Sep 10, '12, 8:51 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyeotee View Post

Is it sinful for a Catholic to assume what she (or any medium/mind reader/psychic) says is true?
We can't assume, I don't think, ever. But there can be compelling evidence. But is it a sin to believe people can communicate with those who have passed? Can't be. Jesus on the mountain speaking to Moses and Elijah, St Joan, St. Faustina, Padre Pio, all of these and more have had experiences with those who had passed.

Quote:
Theresa Caputo ... claims that the spirits come to her rather than her contacting them.
This is how every medium I consider legitimate describes it. No one can "conjure up" the dead. I think it's like singing: everyone can do it, but some are tone deaf and some are opera divas.

I object very much to how Caputo conducts herself and find the show unwatchable. "Ambush mediumship" is ethically indefensible, IMO.
Old Sep 10, '12, 11:03 am
Forum Supporter

i happened to catch part of her show the other day. i remember seeing the ads for her show when it first began. i guess you could call me a skeptic. the little bit i saw of her show the other day, some of the questions were kind of general. i always wonder if there isn't a way to find something out about the person before she meets with them. of course, that wouldn't work with just anyone off of the street. her personality sort of bothers me, but i suppose it is because she is from a different part of the country than i am.
i am not sure how these psychic gifts work or if someone just wakes up someday and they have it. i haven't heard her story, but i am a skeptic.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old Sep 10, '12, 11:13 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1 View Post
...In the book "Demons in Disguise" by Steve Wohlberg, the author refers to the story of King Saul, who fell out of God's favor by refusing to listen to God's prophet, Samuel. Upon Samuel's death, Saul was moved to seek a fortune teller (witch) before an impending battle and received a visit from an "apparition in the image of Samuel" and "words of prophecy".

..."Moreover," the demon declared (apparition), "the Lord will also deliver Israel with you into the land of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines." This is precisely what happened...
Actually, Cryptic, the literal reading of the pertinant scripture (1 Sam 28) is that Samual's spirit did appear:
"6] And he consulted the Lord, and he answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by priests, nor by prophets. [7] And Saul said to his servants: Seek me a woman that hath a divining spirit, and I will go to her, and inquire by her. And his servants said to him: There is a woman that hath a divining spirit at Endor. [8] Then he disguised himself: and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night, and he said to her: Divine to me by thy divining spirit, and bring me up him whom I shall tell thee. [9] And the woman said to him: Behold thou knowest all that Saul hath done, and how he hath rooted out the magicians and soothsayers from the land: why then dost thou lay a snare for my life, to cause me to be put to death? [10] And Saul swore unto her by the Lord, saying: As the Lord liveth there shall no evil happen to thee for this thing.
[11] And the woman said to him: Whom shall I bring up to thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. [12] And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice, and said to Saul: Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul. [13] And the king said to her: Fear not: what hast thou seen? And the woman said to Saul: I saw gods ascending out of the earth. [14] And he said to her: What form is he of? And she said: An old man cometh up, and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul understood that it was Samuel, and he bowed himself with his face to the ground, and adored. [15] And Samuel said to Saul: Why hast thou disturbed my rest, that I should be brought up? And Saul said, I am in great distress: for the Philistines fight against me, and God is departed from me, and would not hear me, neither by the hand of prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest shew me what I shall do."

There is no explicit or implicit reference that the spirit was other than Samuel, whom God allowed to appear to both rebuke and prophesize one last time. The "woman" was apparently freaked out herself, for instead of her familiar spirit (a demon, granted) she for the first and last time in her life got the real deal.

The "demon in the appearence" of Samuel tends to be the teaching of sects which teach "soul sleep", such as the 7th Day Adventists and others (like Jehovah's Witnesses, highly influenced by Adventist teachings)
Old Sep 10, '12, 11:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert!)

The late, not so great Jean Dixon claimed to be a devout Catholic as well as an astrologer, promoter of reincarnation, and other divination practices. Her actual track record was actually worse than chance. Pray for her soul everybody..,..,
Old Sep 10, '12, 11:26 am

The vast majority of mediums are frauds employing a variety of methods. Here's a good website for critical thinking. Look for the phrases 'cold reading', 'selection bias', 'confirmation bias', 'Texas sharpshooter', 'retrospective falsification'

http://www.skepdic.com/ticriticalthinking.html

Note, this isn't a catholic site. It is a site dedicated to skepticism- critical analysis. It may even come off as anti-religion since it is dedicated to attributing things to natural phenomena and events first.

There's also, www.randi.org, but they are very anti-religion of any sort. Of course, they have a standing offer of 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove they have supernatural/paranormal abilities.
Old Sep 10, '12, 12:29 pm

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrgwillidar View Post
The vast majority of mediums are frauds employing a variety of methods. Here's a good website for critical thinking. Look for the phrases 'cold reading', 'selection bias', 'confirmation bias', 'Texas sharpshooter', 'retrospective falsification'

http://www.skepdic.com/ticriticalthinking.html

Note, this isn't a catholic site. It is a site dedicated to skepticism- critical analysis. It may even come off as anti-religion since it is dedicated to attributing things to natural phenomena and events first.

There's also, www.randi.org, but they are very anti-religion of any sort. Of course, they have a standing offer of 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove they have supernatural/paranormal abilities.
As soon as I saw a commercial for this show I thought of the South Park episode entitled, "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" which anyone reading this thread and/or buying into this fraud should watch.

The only difference between the lady on the show and all the other frauds out there is that this lady has a TV show. That is all, its not the first time this is happened nor will it be the last unfortunately.
Old Sep 11, '12, 3:27 am
Banned

One of my school friends is a medium as his is wife.
Old Sep 13, '12, 9:16 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Roman Catholic, loyal to the Pope

It's a terribly dangerous thing you're playing with. It is a serious sin to seek advice from these kind of people, a mortal sin actually. If it's not a Church endorsed private revelation then you should leave it alone. It all sounds quite fishy to me, to be honest. She's either a con-artist, or engages in occult practice. I'm betting the prior.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media