Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 23, '12, 12:15 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Prayers for our Enemies

"You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thy enemy.
But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you: That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven, who maketh his sun to rise upon the good, and bad, and raineth upon the just and the unjust.
For if you love them that love you, what reward shall you have? do not even the publicans this? And if you salute your brethren only, what do you more? do not also the heathens this?
Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect."
(Matthew 5:43-50 DRA)

So many times I hear Christians, and even Catholics, pray for the good people only. For example, we pray for the unborn, yet we rarely (if ever) pray for the mothers, the doctors, who are truly at the most spiritual risk. We pray for the victims of terrorist attacks, but not for those who committed the crimes, who are at far greater spiritual risk. This even when Christ expressly commands us to do so, saying that we are no different than the heathens and publicans if we do not. Also, I believe "enemies" includes anyone that cause us harm, with whom with disagree, or who go against what we know to be good and true, not only those who are hostile towards us directly.

Because of this I would like for everyone to post in this thread a prayer for their enemies - both people in their own lives who are negative toward them in some way, and for our enemies in a more regional or global sense. Feel free to be specific as I have done below.

For my own intentions: I pray for my mother, my step-father, my mother's family, my local librarian, people who bullied me in school and elsewhere; and for the man who committed the mass shooting at the Colorado movie theater recently, for the terrorists who committed the 9/11 attacks, for all those on death row, for all those who persecute Christians throughout the world, for those living in a state of mortal sin (especially for gay people), for drug users and dealers, for Muslims, Protestants, Mormons and all other non-Catholic religious people in the world, and for all global leaders and celebrities.

I ask for the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, for the guardian angels of all those for whom I asked prayers, St. Peter, St. Thomas More, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Sebastian, and St. Maximilian Kolbe. God bless.

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

John 6:60 (RSV-2CE)
Old Sep 23, '12, 4:00 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Prayers for our Enemies

Lord, forgive them for they know not what they do. Amen.
Old Sep 23, '12, 7:05 pm

I pray for my friend who hurt me and took advantage of me, I forgive him for lying. Lord change his heart, soften my heart toward him, help me to forgive him and be merciful toward him just as you are merciful toward me. Help me to get out of the victim mentality. Transform my heart to forgive people from the heart and not to hold grudges anymore. I'm tired of holding grudges, please Lord. I thank you for your graces, Love and mercy. I ask this through the intercession of our Lady of sorrow and st. Rita
Old Sep 23, '12, 7:48 pm

Please give mercy to all those who have insulted, hurt, and disappointed us.
Please give mercy to all who do not know or love You or us.
Heal us O Lord of our hurt and resentment, in our determination to try to forgive and move on.
Old Sep 23, '12, 8:32 pm
Prayer Warrior

Lord Jesus Christ,

For too long, I have waged war against my enemies.

Now I know, that the path to true peace is to lay down ones arms and to take up the cross.

Help me, by granting me the grace to pray for my enemies and those who have misunderstood me. Bring them your peace and your forgiveness.

May you heal them of their wounds and give them the serenity they long for, for their souls and for the greater glory of God the Father.

Amen
Old Sep 24, '12, 12:21 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Bumping this thread to keep it up there in the forum.

Old Sep 24, '12, 12:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Bump

Old Sep 24, '12, 2:19 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ2000 View Post
Lord Jesus Christ,

For too long, I have waged war against my enemies.

Now I know, that the path to true peace is to lay down ones arms and to take up the cross.

Help me, by granting me the grace to pray for my enemies and those who have misunderstood me. Bring them your peace and your forgiveness.

May you heal them of their wounds and give them the serenity they long for, for their souls and for the greater glory of God the Father.

Amen
AMEN.

Father, I lift up to You those who filed a case against me and my colleagues and those encourage them. Please give them peace, love, joy, kindness, compassion, mercy understanding and forgiveness. Ease the pain of their loss. Please let them be charitable towards us and understanding. I pray that we will all come to an understanding and a solution to the complaints they have against us in a manner that shows true Christian love and mercy. All these I ask in the name of Jesus, my Lord, Savior and Redeemer, through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary. AMEN
Old Sep 24, '12, 7:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Praying for our enemies.
Old Sep 24, '12, 1:08 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

For all our neighbours, whether they be friends or enemies....we love them all.

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Sep 24, '12, 8:27 pm

We ask God to give us the grace to love our enemies from the heart, Lord it's difficult but with you everything is possible. Lord send a dew of your grace into our hearts
Old Sep 25, '12, 12:24 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Bump

Old Sep 27, '12, 1:54 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

For all our neighbours, whether they be friends or enemies....we love them all.

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Apr 28, '14, 8:46 pm
Trial Membership
Prayer Warrior

Hail Mary, full of grace the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions