Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 25, '05, 3:08 pm

Religion: catholic
Question Best place to raise a Catholic family?

I am anticipating an opportunity to move my family in 3 years to any where in the USA. I would like to find the best place to raise my two boys a new born and 3 year old today (so 3 and 6 in three years). Any thoughts?
Old Aug 25, '05, 4:19 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005
Default Re: Best place to raise a Catholic family?

Well... I can only speak from what I know. I've lived in Florida & I've lived in Illiniois.

I would not reccomend Florida for raising a child - too many wacky people (ever notice how everyone on America's Most Wanted was last spotted in Florida?) Sorry to insult an entire state of good people - but I think the education system is not so great and unless you live very close to the beach - it's a hot, boring place to be a kid. It's a place geared more for tourists and senior citizens in my opinion. So cross that off your list...

I love Illiniois... it's so midwest - great values - nice small towns. We can hop the train to Chicago & there's just tons of stuff to do there. Illiniois (at least where I live) has great schools - lots of park district programs - really anything that your kids might be interested in - whether it be sports or the theater or art - it's all here. Plus there are TONS of Catholics - I read about all the problems with liberal parishes and I can't relate at all. The Catholic School that my children will attend doesn't charge a set tuition - each family pays what they can afford. How awesome is that?

Plus 4 distinct seasons - lots of fun for kids year round. Jobs pay well here & the only downside is housing is a bit pricey.

That's my opinion.

Happy Birthday to your son!
CM
Old Aug 25, '05, 4:25 pm

Religion: catholic

I have to second Illinois. We have lived in Chicago and downstate. I prefer downstate, because it's smaller, safer, no commute, very reasonable housing prices and we have access to Chicago and St.Louis in a 21/2 to 3 hour drive. Chicago and suburbs are very Catholic, my downstate city is extremely Catholic, and a very orthodox diocese. In fact, people in my city still ask each other "which parish do you belong to?" when meeting new people -- it's that Catholic! We have very strong, very orthodox Catholic schools and our diocese generally is one of those with the highest number of new priests each year. Can you tell I love my community? Also, it's generally conservative -- you know, that cliche about midwestern commonsense and values-- there's some truth to that.
Old Aug 25, '05, 4:28 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenlee
I am anticipating an opportunity to move my family in 3 years to any where in the USA. I would like to find the best place to raise my two boys a new born and 3 year old today (so 3 and 6 in three years). Any thoughts?
This is a very good question. I hope more people respond.
Old Aug 25, '05, 5:58 pm

Religion: Catholic

I have lived in Ohio, Texas, Massachusetts, and Florida. Ohio was the most "Catholic." It is very conservative and great place to raise a family. The weather is Ok - a bit cold for me. Florida is the most beautiful and lots of things to do. The weather is awesome, but housing is out of control right now. The schools are not the greatest either. There are lots of Catholics in Boston, but unfortunately most of them do not attend Church. Also Boston is outrageously expensive. I love Texas and you can find really good schools there, but it's not very pretty and it is very hot. Housing is very reasonable.

Good luck!
Old Aug 25, '05, 6:02 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Gilbert, Arizona.

Newer community, rated one of the seven most conservative cities in the country, great schools, lots of young families, great orthodox parish (St. Anne's), great (new) orthodox bishop (Bishop Olmsted).

If you can stand a little heat in the summer (it keeps the riff-raff out, I always say), it's a great place to live.

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Aug 25, '05, 6:25 pm
Book Club Member

Hey, come on out to Utah!

Okay, just kidding.
Old Aug 25, '05, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenlee
I would say come to Hawaii but the cost of living is bad over here. It's lucky for me and my family that when we purchased a house we got it when the price of a home was reasonable. Lots of Catholic parishes to choose from. Good luck when you decide to make that move.
Old Aug 25, '05, 7:36 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)

Don't even consider New York! Though there may be places out west and up north in the state. But NYC and its suburbs...
Old Aug 25, '05, 8:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

In a Church
Old Aug 25, '05, 11:00 pm
Book Club Member

Having lived in St Paul + Mpls, Omaha, Chicago (north shore 'burbs), Seattle--and regularly visit family in KS, TX, CO, & CA--I would hands down vote for Chicago. We LOVED it there and it broke my heart when we moved last year. Our parish was unbelievable, with a tight-knit , supportive community, a variety of service opportunities, lots of education opportunities in the faith, beautiful traditional celebrations of the mass and special feast days, priests and nuns involved in the school and wonderful fellowship.

One of the things I took for granted with respect to raising my kids in an overwhelmingly Catholic community was that it was rare to encounter families broken by divorce/remarriage. It is quite another story where we are now and I am much more aware of what and who I expose my kids to in terms of lifestyle choices.
Old Aug 26, '05, 1:47 am

I lived in Omaha for fifteen years and hated leaving it. It's a small big city. It has the ability to annex, so it can grow, expand its tax base and not stagnate. There's lots for children to do--parks, museums, world-class zoo, Imax, baseball, soccer, hockey, theater, and so forth. The parishes are great, some better than others, of course. St. Cecilia's Cathedral is gorgeous. The city public schools leave alot to be desired but there are other alternatives; there are other school districts within or near the city proper. The cost of living is relatively low. The summers can be very hot, and the winters can be very cold, but what child can resist swimming or a snowball fight? There are first rate medical centers and a children's hospital. There are some very nice suburbs too.

I've heard very good thing about Lincoln NE too. It has a huge state university and Bishop Bruskewitz.

I've lived in each part of the county except New England and folks in the Midwest are just friendlier. IMHO.
Old Aug 26, '05, 5:26 am

I live in a rural area near Ann Arbor, Michigan and would recommend it. It has a strong Catholic community (I would recommend Christ the King Parish), good Catholic schools (Spiritus Sanctus Academy, Huron Valley Catholic School, Fr. Gabriel Richard High School, strong homeschool community) and has the "friendly midwestern attitude". For fun you can visit all the liberal, secular wackos at the University of Michigan and then realize why you live in your Catholic community.

Alan
Old Aug 26, '05, 6:28 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I live in Omaha and I love it. We have a very Catholic town, many great Catholic schools, and it's over all a great place to raise a family. As a child I lived in a neighborhood where I never even knew that Protestants existed. I didn't meet one until I was 12!

My brother lives in upstate New York and there's no way I would recommend it. He is considered a spiritual wacko amongst his friends and family because he insists that his wife and 3 sons attend weekly mass and because he encouraged his son's Catholic education. Their church has no kneelers either. All in all its a very secular place.
Old Aug 26, '05, 6:57 am
Book Club Member

We live in central Illinois (Peoria diocese) and its great. In our town we have two Catholic grade schools and one Catholic High School. I have met many priests from this diocese and they are very much orthodox. The only thing lacking is a decent bible study, but we're working on it !

The cost of livng is also something you should consider. I'm a SAHM (well, I work part-time- about 20 hrs/week- out of the home) we send our daughter to Catholic school (with tuition), own a house, basically we getting by alright. If we were to move back east (CT, where all my family is) I would have to work full-time and even with that I don't think we could afford to send our daughters to Catholic school. Also, from what my sisters tell me I probably wouldn't want to.

We live in a University town and there are always fun cheap things to do as well as concerts and shows. There is one orchestra in town that does four performances a year and charges less than $10 for each concert, complete with a beforehand discussion of what will be performed! And they're really a very tight group, so its not like going to an elementary school concert .

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life