Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 25, '05, 5:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Does Saturday Vigil Mass every week fulfill Sunday obligation?

Please read my question carefully.

If we (my wife and kids) go to the Saturday Vigil Mass EVERY week, just because it's easier for us to do so. Does that fulfill our Sunday obligation if we go to the Saturday Vigil Mass EVERY Saturday? I'm not talking once in a while. Iheard some say yes and some say no. Remember I mean every Saturday - except Easter Sunday.

Thank you and God Bless.
Old Aug 25, '05, 5:16 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Does Saturday Vigil Mass every week fulfill Sunday obligation?

Yes .. but I think technically it's not a vigil mass it's called an anticipatory mass.
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave

If we (my wife and kids) go to the Saturday Vigil Mass EVERY week, just because it's easier for us to do so. Does that fulfill our Sunday obligation if we go to the Saturday Vigil Mass EVERY Saturday? I'm not talking once in a while. Iheard some say yes and some say no. Remember I mean every Saturday - except Easter Sunday.

Thank you and God Bless.
Yes, as the Church does not have any restrictions on who can attend, or why one attends, the Saturday Vigil Liturgy.

Also, the Easter Vigil, that is the Saturday Night before Easter Sunday, has much more going on in it than the Liturgy of Easter Sunday morning.
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thank you and God Bless.
Of course it would simply because the law of the Church says it does. Is it necessary for you to attend every Saturday instead of on the Lord's day? That you will have to answer. I suggest reading Dies Domini by John Paul II.
Old Aug 25, '05, 5:24 pm

We go on Saturday (4:30pm) because it's easier because we can sleep in on Sunday, it's very time consuming getting 4 children 8 and under ready for church on Sunday morning, tha't why we go on Saturday every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO
Of course it would simply because the law of the Church says it does. Is it necessary for you to attend every Saturday instead of the Lord's day? The you will have to answer. I suggest reading Dies Domini by John Paul II.
Old Aug 25, '05, 5:42 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
We go on Saturday (4:30pm) because it's easier because we can sleep in on Sunday, it's very time consuming getting 4 children 8 and under ready for church on Sunday morning, tha't why we go on Saturday every week.
You don't have to explain or rationalize it at all. The Church permits you to do attend the anticipatory Mass on Saturday.
Old Aug 25, '05, 5:43 pm

Religion: RC

Quote:
Does that fulfill our Sunday obligation if we go to the Saturday Vigil Mass EVERY Saturday?
Sure.

Even in the olden days, before the vigil masses started, many folks had regular schedules, attending the same Sunday mass every week, sitting in the same pew.

No need for variation
Old Aug 25, '05, 6:19 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think personally that that is a legitimate reason, so that the whole family can worship together.
Old Aug 25, '05, 7:06 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

Yes it does.

I prefer the Saturday Mass since I do not like to let my brain function to about Noon during the Weekend.

PF
Old Aug 25, '05, 10:35 pm

Yep it does.
Old Aug 25, '05, 11:08 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: roman catholic, hasta mi muerte

unless saturday is a Holy day of obligation..as monsignor said, you can't kill two birds with one stone. ....
Old Aug 26, '05, 3:31 am

The Saturday Vigil mass was brought about because society was changing back in the 60s. (Businesses started to be open on Sundays, making people have to work that day.) Vigil masses for Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation was an effort to make sure the faithful would be able to fullfill the obligation.

When I began going to mass again my senior year of high school, I would go to the vigil mass; just because I wanted to sleep in on Sunday. Then I found out that wasn't the reason for the vigil mass. At my parish the Saturday Vigil Mass has the highest amount of attendence.
Old Aug 26, '05, 4:53 am

Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwilkman
unless saturday is a Holy day of obligation....
By the time the Saturday evening Mass is starting, the Holy Day of Obligation is over with....

The Church Day starts at sundown and continues until Sunday just like the Jewish Sabbath....

Hope this helps....
Old Aug 26, '05, 5:44 am

Question Re: Does Saturday Vigil Mass every week fulfill Sunday obligation?

Is this true in the Eastern Rite? Or is it Sunday only.

Kathie
Old Aug 26, '05, 6:51 am
Banned

Hi Everyone!
I've read critisisms of the vigil Mass before on other sites. It's somehow thought of by some as second rate, and indicative of a less devout worshipper who wants to sleep on Sunday and is lazy. I've heard it said that if you're going to use it, you'd better have a good reason other than your personal convenience.

I just want to say that, for one thing, many people in this age are harried and don't get enough sleep. Many wives work outside of the home and don't have enough time playing with their children. People are stressed. The pace of modern life is hard on them. Also, their children are lacking in sleep too due to having to get up early every day to get ready for school, daycare, etc.Also, as mentioned already, many people have to work weekends. For example I'm a nurse and am very thankful for the Sat. evening Mass.

I think the Church in her wisdom instituted the vigil Mass (That's what it's called in my church bulletin so I will use that term) because Jesus said that the Sabbath should serve Man, not the other way around. The Sabbath is for rest and renewal. And, for many people that includes a restful Sat. vigil Mass, then a nice meal at a good restaurant with their friends afterwards. The vigil Mass where I go has mainly an older crowd and is quiet and prayerful. I like it and attend it frequently.

So, in conclusion, I thank the Church for the Sat. Vigil Mass, which as mentioned already is more keeping with Jewish tradition as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments