Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 25, '12, 8:25 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Difference in Church of christ and Catholic Faith

well as it seem's, member of Church of christ nowadays is increasing. how they do that? what's the diff. about the teaching of INC to RC
Old Sep 25, '12, 9:58 am

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Difference in Church of christ and Catholic Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhef28shim View Post
well as it seem's, member of Church of christ nowadays is increasing. how they do that? what's the diff. about the teaching of INC to RC
Welcome to the Forums.

Please re-phrase your question....which Church of Christ and which founder?

You mentioned INC...are you talking about the Iglesia ni Christo founded by Felix Manalo in the Philippines?
Old Sep 25, '12, 10:06 am

They teach their church is the only correct church, and that it is not a denomination but the real church of Christ, they dont believe in the real presence of Jesus in Commion,they have a motto where the bible is silent we are silent, and they dont believe in using musical instruments during service.They are strong on baptism as means for salvation for adults. They are a break away movement from other protestant churches and formed in 1906.
Old Sep 25, '12, 10:09 am

I assume that you are referring to the "Church of Christ", a Protestant denomination with its roots in the Restoration movement. If not, than this reply is irrelevant!

There are some similarities between the Catholic Church and the CoC in its doctrine of baptismal regeneration, but IMO the paralellism stops there. The biggests bugaboo is the CoC Sola Scriptura basis of its belief and its VERY narrow interpretation of how one is "saved". It rejects all Protestant denominations and especially the Catholic Church as being full of the lost. Press a CoC member on the point. In casual conversation, there will be some nod to the "there are saved people in every church" but then when the rubber meets the road and they are studying the Bible with someone, it is "proved" by Scripture that you are lost. Of course, this is my experience as a long time member of the CoC.

Also, the use of only Protestant versions of the Bible (in my experience) lead it to interpret the translation of one word as "teaching" when it is used in a positive sense and as "tradition" when it is used in a negative sense. This leads to the rejection of the traditions of the Catholic Church as "rules taught by men".

It is NOT growing. The international church of christ, an off-shoot of the traditional Church of Christ, has experienced growth and is characterized by very assertive evangelism and a focus on discipleship - some of which in the past was pretty unhealthy but not so much now. The traditional Church of Christ, on the other hand, is dying out. You can find numerous articles, including the bemoaning of Abiliene University about enrollments.

I was in it for 25 years, spent considerable time researching the differences between it and the Catholic Church, and made a decision to "revert" to Catholicism in 2009. it was based on solid doctrine, despite the assertions of the congregation that I left.

I could go on and on. The experience that I had with the CoC was positive, but lacking in the depth of spirituality that is within the Catholic church and its celebration of the Eucharist.
Old Sep 25, '12, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjohn View Post
They teach their church is the only correct church, and that it is not a denomination but the real church of Christ, they dont believe in the real presence of Jesus in Commion,they have a motto where the bible is silent we are silent, and they dont believe in using musical instruments during service.They are strong on baptism as means for salvation for adults. They are a break away movement from other protestant churches and formed in 1906.
Actually they trace their roots to the teachings of Alexander Campbell and Barton Stone, which is somewhere in the mid 1800-s.

You are referring to the traditional CoC that is mostly in southern US. The International CoC does have musical instruments, and at one time stated "where the bible speaks, we speak and where the Bible is silent, we speak". I was at that particular conference.
Old Sep 25, '12, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivecomeback View Post
Actually they trace their roots to the teachings of Alexander Campbell and Barton Stone, which is somewhere in the mid 1800-s.

You are referring to the traditional CoC that is mostly in southern US. The International CoC does have musical instruments, and at one time stated "where the bible speaks, we speak and where the Bible is silent, we speak". I was at that particular conference.
thanks for to info
Old Sep 25, '12, 11:23 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via ICQ to osita4krist

All these about COC, Anglican,Luthureran, Methodist,Protestants,pentecostal ism, I want to ask is christen dom fighting the devil or are they more interested in the justification of Disobedience. Christ have mercy on the lost sheep.
To me the differences are
1. they are scared of confessing their sins to mare mortals even when the early christians and the scripture approves, 2.They register their churches as corporate entities with board of directors drawn from within the family ranks of the founders as the case in my country. So many differences which are inexhaustible. 'He that have ear let him hear' 'that they may be one as I and the Father'
There are the other sheep from a different fold. I rest my case for now.

QUOTE=ivecomeback;9817148]I sume that you are referring to the "Church of Christ", a Protestant denomination with its roots in the Restoration movement. If not, than this reply is irrelevant!

There are some similarities between the Catholic Church and the CoC in its doctrine of baptismal regeneration, but IMO the paralellism stops there. The biggests bugaboo is the CoC Sola Scriptura basis of its belief and its VERY narrow interpretation of how one is "saved". It rejects all Protestant denominations and especially the Catholic Church as being full of the lost. Press a CoC member on the point. In casual conversation, there will be some nod to the "there are saved people in every church" but then when the rubber meets the road and they are studying the Bible with someone, it is "proved" by Scripture that you are lost. Of course, this is my experience as a long time member of the CoC.

Also, the use of only Protestant versions of the Bible (in my experience) lead it to interpret the translation of one word as "teaching" when it is used in a positive sense and as "tradition" when it is used in a negative sense. This leads to the rejection of the traditions of the Catholic Church as "rules taught by men".

It is NOT growing. The international church of christ, an off-shoot of the traditional Church of Christ, has experienced growth and is characterized by very assertive evangelism and a focus on discipleship - some of which in the past was pretty unhealthy but not so much now. The traditional Church of Christ, on the other hand, is dying out. You can find numerous articles, including the bemoaning of Abiliene University about enrollments.

I was in it for 25 years, spent considerable time researching the differences between it and the Catholic Church, and made a decision to "revert" to Catholicism in 2009. it was based on solid doctrine, despite the assertions of the congregation that I left.

I could go on and on. The experience that I had with the CoC was positive, but lacking in the depth of spirituality that is within the Catholic church and its celebration of the Eucharist.[/quote]
Old Sep 25, '12, 9:00 pm
Trial Membership

thx for the info.. yup im reffering about the "INC" in the PH.founded by Felix Manalo?
Old Sep 25, '12, 10:29 pm

Religion: am Catholic and floddering
Send a message via Yahoo to aragonjohn1
Cool Re: Difference in Church of christ and Catholic Faith

Quote:
thx for the info.. yup im reffering about the "INC" in the PH.founded by Felix Manalo?

here is an excellant debate by one of catholic answers apologists Jesse Romero VS: INC

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFzi1eMoP8

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnoGA...feature=relmfu

hope this helps

Shalom
God Bless you on journey
- St. Pacian
"You are now aware that you are breathing"
- MarcusAndreas
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) "This is Bunny. Copy Bunny" - Bunny
Old Sep 26, '12, 10:30 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Are you talking about the Phillpine Iglesia Ni Christo?

The american sect that goes by the same name in english is very different from the Iglesia Ni Christo,and is shrinking.
Old Sep 26, '12, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivecomeback View Post

I too was in the "church of Christ" for 17 years, but you are not exactly correct in saying the cofc had it's beginnings in the Campbells and Stone. They founded the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

The diiferences between the Disciples and the CofC started after the Civil War and escalted until 1906 when the two denominations were listed seperately in the census of religions. But is is not quite so cut and dry that people can say the CofC was invented in 1906.

Even the insrument debate is not cut and dry. I remember reading of two congregations in KY, one dlsliked "the instrument" and ended up in a church with an organ. The other liked "the instrument" and ended up in a church with no organ. I beleive they ended up swapping churches and still belonged to the same denomination.
Old Sep 26, '12, 11:02 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
I too was in the "church of Christ" for 17 years, but you are not exactly correct in saying the cofc had it's beginnings in the Campbells and Stone. They founded the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

The diiferences between the Disciples and the CofC started after the Civil War and escalted until 1906 when the two denominations were listed seperately in the census of religions. But is is not quite so cut and dry that people can say the CofC was invented in 1906.

Even the insrument debate is not cut and dry. I remember reading of two congregations in KY, one dlsliked "the instrument" and ended up in a church with an organ. The other liked "the instrument" and ended up in a church with no organ. I beleive they ended up swapping churches and still belonged to the same denomination.
The original Disciples of Christ are dying out. Apparently their national organization printed a flyer they sent out to all affiliated churhes warning of what they call "steeplechasing", a practice by which some group of people get membership in a C of C congregation, then take it over and drive the previous group out. Since all churches are "owned" by the membership, this can be highly successful. They even warned about Muslim groups doing it. It's fundamentally a property takeover.

The "other" C of C is essentially a non-denominational church that has no doctrines other than the salvific nature of Jesus Christ and the necessity of baptism. Different ones may resemble another, but there is no real organization to them. Some engage in disputes with others about the use of single versus multiple cups at "communion" and organ music. But basically, each one is the creation of its own congregation. Typically, they are dominated by one or more dominant personalities in the congregation, just as most non-denominational churches are.
Old Sep 26, '12, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
The original Disciples of Christ are dying out. Apparently their national organization printed a flyer they sent out to all affiliated churhes warning of what they call "steeplechasing", a practice by which some group of people get membership in a C of C congregation, then take it over and drive the previous group out. Since all churches are "owned" by the membership, this can be highly successful. They even warned about Muslim groups doing it. It's fundamentally a property takeover.

The "other" C of C is essentially a non-denominational church that has no doctrines other than the salvific nature of Jesus Christ and the necessity of baptism. Different ones may resemble another, but there is no real organization to them. Some engage in disputes with others about the use of single versus multiple cups at "communion" and organ music. But basically, each one is the creation of its own congregation. Typically, they are dominated by one or more dominant personalities in the congregation, just as most non-denominational churches are.
It is true the Disciples are dwindling, as are all main line Protestant denominations. I don't think the CsofC are non denominational, I think they are about the most exclusionary sect in existence today. They use the word "christian"as a sort of trademark and use it to describe themselves only.

They call all others "the denominations" while they and they alone think they are THE church. Even they don't use ND to describe themsleves, they say "undenominational".

Really I just wanted to point out the Disciples/church of Christ seperation can not be pin pointed to 1906. The division was really years in the making. All starting with the civil war. Most csofc are in the south and the majority of doc in the midwest and north.

My folks who are still in "the church" and their membership have dropped drasticaly, when I was a teen there they were pulling over 1,000 a sunday now they are lucky to get 400. When the older members die they are not being replaced. I also think it had a lot to do with the social conditions post war.

The south was defeated and was broken, they are more conservative as well. After the war they could not not afford organs, seminary educated "preachers" and more costly churches.
Old Sep 27, '12, 6:06 am

Religion: Roman Catholic--returned 11/2008 Formerly LDS
Send a message via Yahoo to flameburns623

The Churches of Chrisr, Independent Christian Chuches & Churches of Christ, and the Disciples of Christ all have their roots in a quasi-ecumenical movement called the "Christian Connection", extant in the late 1700's/ early 1800's. Barton Stone & Thomas and Alexander Campbell became influential members starting in the 1820's. Original impetus was a reunification of Christians around the Bible and a minimal number of doctrines and practices. Also, eschewing denominational labels for simply being "Christians". They used to say, 'We aren't the only Christians but we are Christians only'. They really seem to have hoped this approach would unify Christian bodies. Didn't work. Within 50 years the "Christian Connection" had become one of the most-divisive Protestant sects in America, with the two most-fundamentalist splinters using language implying they think of themselves as the "only" Christians.
Let us adore now, you and I.

G. W. Russell, "Prayer"
Old Sep 27, '12, 9:24 am

[quote=andrewstx;9823181] I don't think the CsofC are non denominational, I think they are about the most exclusionary sect in existence today. They use the word "christian"as a sort of trademark and use it to describe themselves only.

Great comment.

My experience has been with the International Churches of Christ, a splinter group that started in Florida back in the 60's and found its footing in the 80's in Boston. I found it very divisive. There has been some outreach to the traditional CoC's but I don't know the state of that right now.

Overall, my experience was very positive but after a while the proof-texting stopped holding water.

It is merely my observation, but it is sad that most of the people who seem to leave the CoC tend to go to no faith at all or wander aimlessly church shopping.

I'm so grateful to be back with the Catholic Church.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions