Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 26, '05, 1:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Father John Tolkien Accused of Child Molestation

Father John Tolkien, son of JRR Tolkien, accused of child molestation. The accuser said that Father John Tolkien molested him some 40 years ago. Unfortunately, Father John got ill and passed away before he could defend himself. Father Tolkien was a wealthy man, inheriting from his father JRR Tolkien. Parishioners say he was often very generous with his money, distributing it to a number of local charities.

The Sunday Mercury has more liberty to publish the latest claims now because in law you can not libel a dead person.

A statement from the Catholic Church has again denied the allegations, stating there was insufficient evidence to bring any charges against Father Tolkien.

The accuser finally settled the case with the diocese. No monetary information was available. The accuser is also planning to suit the Tolkien family for damage. Tolkien family is very wealthy due to the success of the LOTR trilogy.
You tell me, is this money motivated or not?

Old Aug 26, '05, 1:44 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Father John Tolkien Accused of Child Molestation

Do you have a link to this news article?
Old Aug 26, '05, 2:08 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/news/2003/01/tolkien.shtml

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=23653

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=17157
Old Aug 26, '05, 4:51 am
Veteran Member

If this were true I doubt there would be just one person claiming it. However, now that this is public, will more people make claims just for money? You have to wonder. Money can entice people. It is a shame. I
Old Aug 26, '05, 5:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

http://www.poynter.org/article_feedb...user=&id=18749

This links to a post of British article from several years ago. Tolkien was suspected of dozens of instances of pedophilia. He is cited in the article as the most prolific British pedophile priest. This is heartbreaking, but to date I have read no serious defense or refutation fo the charges.
Old Aug 26, '05, 6:17 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpav
http://www.poynter.org/article_feedb...user=&id=18749

This links to a post of British article from several years ago. Tolkien was suspected of dozens of instances of pedophilia. He is cited in the article as the most prolific British pedophile priest. This is heartbreaking, but to date I have read no serious defense or refutation fo the charges.
This bothers me no end. It may be that he was as they claim, it also may be that he did what they say, but, if you read the article, in fact read all the articles it comes down to ONE claimant. The statement that he was the worst pedophile in Britian is HIS statement. There is an assertion that one victim killed himself, no name, no date, in fact a totally unveriable statement, any newspaper worth its salt would be only too keen to say who, where, when etc., why didn't they? (and pleeeeese don't lets go down the route of protecting the victim, that's one piece of imagination to far for any UK newspaper!!)

The article goes on:

Quote:
Last night, one of his victims - still haunted by his childhood demons more than 40 years on - estimated that Tolkien had probably molested hundreds of youngsters over the decades in his unique position of trust.
Is this a different victim, if so why not "another of his victims", or are we into "clever" journalism? It's also very convenient to use words such as "estimated" and "probably", use of these undefined utterances lets the newspaper out of actually stating facts and figures.

I will be far more convinced when others WHO CAN PROVE THEIR CASE come forward rather than the unsubstantiated and totally unproven claims in a newspaper that was so "confident" of their story they wouldn't publish until they no longer had to prove it in a court of law.
Old Aug 26, '05, 9:46 am

I think and hope is false, I have a lot of respect of all Tolkien family.
Old Aug 26, '05, 10:16 am

Cool Re: Father John Tolkien Accused of Child Molestation

I would think that the chances that it was motivated by money are far greater than it was not motivated by Money.

Kathie
Old Aug 26, '05, 12:12 pm

Regarding the article I posted above, I know it's not the last word on the subject. It's something that has been in the news on and off for years. I don't have time today to do a more comprehensive search on it, but I'll try to find more persuasive evidence.
Old Oct 17, '11, 6:27 pm

As a followup, the late Fr. Tolkeien was aquitted of the charges, and Police Investegators as well as Prosecuting attornies have made public statements that the charges were not credible. That update however had not been reported on Anti-Catholic sites.
Old Oct 17, '11, 7:14 pm

The terrible injustice of all this is that by merely accusing the late Fr. Tolkien of such crimes, he will be presumed guilty by most people who read the article, regardless of any exonerations and proofs of innocence. This is not a Christian attitude.
Old Oct 18, '11, 4:57 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenOne View Post
You tell me, is this money motivated or not?
We cannot answer that question because we do not know. It is mere speculation in which we should not be engaging. We cannot know the motives of the accuser. Likewise, anything of which Fr. Tolkien was accused is also mere speculation. We cannot and should not discuss this: we do not have the facts.
Old Oct 18, '11, 5:11 am
Forum Elder

Thanks for the update. It is a good lesson that an accusation of wrong-doing is not justification for assumption of guilt.
Old Oct 18, '11, 9:11 am
Trial Membership

his links to a post of British article from several years ago. Tolkien was suspected of dozens of instances of pedophilia. He is cited in the article as the most prolific British pedophile priest. This is heartbreaking, but to date I have read no serious defense or refutation fo the charges.

Old Oct 18, '11, 10:34 am

I'm sorry I did not post a link to the page which quoted from British newspapers, and the police investigators as well as Court officials that they found the evidence to be very compelling that he was innocent of the charges. My intent in reviving the thread was to point out that those Anti-Catholic blogs which disseminate such allegations, and sadly even this thread have not been updated to reflect the later findings. A google search of the subject will find both the old allegations, and the newer vindication of Fr. Tolkien.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News