Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 28, '12, 12:56 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Flu shots and aborted fetal cells

Hello friends,

How can I find out whether or not aborted fetal cells were used to produce the current flu shot? Is this information easily accessible by the public?

Thank you.
Old Sep 28, '12, 1:20 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Flu shots and aborted fetal cells

www.cogforlife.org (Children of God for life) always has this info. It says that 2012-2013 Flu Vaccines don't use aborted fetal cells.
Old Sep 28, '12, 2:09 pm

Why thank you!

May God's blessing be upon you and yours
Old Sep 28, '12, 2:30 pm

Whew! I never even imagined that could happen, and younger son just had his flu shot today!
Old Sep 28, '12, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLittleChild View Post
Why thank you!

May God's blessing be upon you and yours
Thank you and you too! I'm so glad to have found that site and I'm glad to have the opportunity to share it. Before I knew about it I spent so much time trying to figure out which vaccines I was going to give my kids. I love their chart - I just take it with me to the dr. appts.
Old Sep 28, '12, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaececi View Post
www.cogforlife.org (Children of God for life) always has this info. It says that 2012-2013 Flu Vaccines don't use aborted fetal cells.
Thanks for the link. I didn't know this was going on. Can't trust anyone.
Old Sep 28, '12, 10:16 pm

I never knew this would happen. Who thinks of such things about something that is used so much.

You know the doctors in the Holocaust were hanged for doing what doctors do routinely now. Sickening.,
Old Sep 28, '12, 10:41 pm
Forum Elder

Just to clarify, 40 years ago fetal tissue was used to cultivate two cell lines in which to grow vaccine. Since then, new cells have been continually re-grown from those two cell lines so that no new fetal tissue has been since 40 years ago.

Vaccines are sometimes produced using those cell lines to grow the vaccine. However, fetal cells are not present in the vaccine.
http://www.immunize.org/concerns/vaccine_components.pdf

Cardinal Ratzinger, as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, requested that the Pontifical Academy for Life study the matter and make recommendations. In summary those recommendations are as follow:

Quote:
There is a grave responsibility to use alternative vaccines and to make a conscientious objection with regard to those which have moral problems;

As regards the vaccines without an alternative, the need to contest so that others may be prepared must be reaffirmed, as should be the lawfulness of using the former in the meantime insomuch as is necessary in order to avoid a serious risk not only for one's own children but also, and perhaps more specifically, for the health conditions of the population as a whole - especially for pregnant women;

The lawfulness of the use of these vaccines should not be misinterpreted as a declaration of the lawfulness of their production, marketing and use, but is to be understood as being a passive material cooperation and, in its mildest and remotest sense, also active, morally justified as an extrema ratio due to the necessity to provide for the good of one's children and of the people who come in contact with the children (pregnant women);

Such cooperation occurs in a context of moral coercion of the conscience of parents, who are forced to choose to act against their conscience or otherwise, to put the health of their children and of the population as a whole at risk. This is an unjust alternative choice, which must be eliminated as soon as possible.
http://www.immunize.org/concerns/vaticandocument.htm
Old Sep 29, '12, 5:54 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2013!

Wow. I had never even considered the possibility. Thank you for drawing the issue to our attention.
Old Sep 29, '12, 7:10 pm

I really think that there is really no scientific reason to use fetal cells for flu vaccines.
Old Oct 6, '13, 11:45 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Just to clarify, 40 years ago fetal tissue was used to cultivate two cell lines in which to grow vaccine. Since then, new cells have been continually re-grown from those two cell lines so that no new fetal tissue has been since 40 years ago.

Vaccines are sometimes produced using those cell lines to grow the vaccine. However, fetal cells are not present in the vaccine.
http://www.immunize.org/concerns/vaccine_components.pdf
http://www.immunize.org/concerns/vaticandocument.htm
Just an fyi, the DNA is still present in the vaccines. We just checked the shingles shot and this is what the Merck insert says:
"11 DESCRIPTION
ZOSTAVAX is a lyophilized preparation of the Oka/Merck strain of live, attenuated varicella-zoster virus
(VZV). ZOSTAVAX, when reconstituted as directed, is a sterile suspension for subcutaneous
administration. Each 0.65-mL dose contains a minimum of 19,400 PFU (plaque-forming units) of
Oka/Merck strain of VZV when reconstituted and stored at room temperature for up to 30 minutes.
Each dose contains 31.16 mg of sucrose, 15.58 mg of hydrolyzed porcine gelatin, 3.99 mg of sodium
chloride, 0.62 mg of monosodium L-glutamate, 0.57 mg of sodium phosphate dibasic, 0.10 mg of
potassium phosphate monobasic, 0.10 mg of potassium chloride; residual components of MRC-5 cells
including DNA and protein;
and trace quantities of neomycin and bovine calf serum. The product contains
no preservatives.
Old Oct 6, '13, 12:07 pm

As far as I know, the Catholic Church has no problem with people using these vaccines, since no alternatives are available, though the Church does insist that companies should find alternatives.

We have many dangerous diseases making a comeback because people are choosing not to vaccinate. People are dying from these diseases since we are only one plane flight away from any of these things and international travel happens every day. Most parents now were not even born during the years when people died regularly from these illnesses, so a certain level of "it can't happen to me" abounds. Unfortunately, it still can and it still does happen.

It is horrific that some aborted children were later used to develop fetal cell lines for research, however, since there is no alternative, putting oneself, one's child, or others at risk for a preventable death does not change what happened. Instead, we should apply pressure for alternatives and when those become available, use them instead.
Old Oct 6, '13, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcoffee View Post
As far as I know, the Catholic Church has no problem with people using these vaccines, since no alternatives are available, though the Church does insist that companies should find alternatives.

We have many dangerous diseases making a comeback because people are choosing not to vaccinate. People are dying from these diseases since we are only one plane flight away from any of these things and international travel happens every day. Most parents now were not even born during the years when people died regularly from these illnesses, so a certain level of "it can't happen to me" abounds. Unfortunately, it still can and it still does happen.
Indeed.

My husband and I are expecting our first, and we already predict that we'll get hassled by some friends because we have every intention of vaccinating our kids. Mind you, my husband spends nearly a month every year in a country in which measles are at an epidemic level, and vaccinated though he is, he can still carry it back with him to a kid who is too small to be vaccinated, not to mention a potentially pregnant wife. Yeah, no thanks. I can assure those people that a measles epidemic is no joke whatsoever.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life