Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 3, '12, 1:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Can I recite the St Michael Exorcism?

I've found a prayer which is called the St Michael Exorcism. Several websites, such as this and this claim that lay people can pray this prayer. Now, I thought of asking on here, in case this prayer may endager my soul or be an act of disobedience to the Holy See. I know that praying against evil isn't a fun and exciting matter but I really want to pray this, so that I can be strenghtened against temptation and deliver demons away from me. I'm 15 years old and I really wanted to recite this in my room, but I don't know if I'm meant to (I know a priest can bless houses, but my contact with the priest and the sacraments has been cut off by my parents) Can anyone help?
Old Oct 3, '12, 2:58 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic (Old Rite)
Default Re: Can I recite the St Michael Exorcism?

It is a restricted prayer for use of Priests only and would be very dangerous to use especilly if as you say you are cut off from the sacraments.

If you need to know more about Exorcism then all the posts on this page http://holysoulshermitage.com/category/exorcism/
will help you but these in paticuler are of note

http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/1...lts-the-laity/
http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/1...ssed-by-satan/
http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/0...ing-a-mandate/
http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/0...jor-and-minor/

You can always use the normal prayer to St. Micheal though
"Holy Micheal Archangel, defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him we humbly pray,
and do thou O prince of the hevenly hosts
by the power of God,
thrust down to Hell Satan and all other evil spirits
who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen"

Last edited by theyoungmonk; Oct 3, '12 at 3:11 am. Reason: Grammer
Old Oct 3, '12, 3:36 am

Religion: Catholic

It's a good prayer. Of course you can use it.
Old Oct 3, '12, 4:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungmonk View Post
It is a restricted prayer for use of Priests only and would be very dangerous to use especilly if as you say you are cut off from the sacraments.

If you need to know more about Exorcism then all the posts on this page http://holysoulshermitage.com/category/exorcism/
will help you but these in paticuler are of note

http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/1...lts-the-laity/
http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/1...ssed-by-satan/
http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/0...ing-a-mandate/
http://holysoulshermitage.com/2011/0...jor-and-minor/

You can always use the normal prayer to St. Micheal though
"Holy Micheal Archangel, defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him we humbly pray,
and do thou O prince of the hevenly hosts
by the power of God,
thrust down to Hell Satan and all other evil spirits
who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen"
I found this on one of the links, which shows a letter from the CDF on exorcisms:

Quote:
2.From these prescriptions it follows that it is not even licit that the faithful use the formula of exorcism against Satan and the fallen angels, extracted from the one published by order of the Supreme Pontiff Leo XIII, and even less that they use the integral text of this exorcism. Bishops should take care to warn the faithful, if necessary, of this. I take the opportunity to express my deepest respects,

Your most esteemed in Christ,

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Prefect
Thank-you so much! Heaven knows what would've happened if I had gone and recited it! God bless
Old Oct 3, '12, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky24 View Post
I've found a prayer which is called the St Michael Exorcism. Several websites, such as this and this claim that lay people can pray this prayer. Now, I thought of asking on here, in case this prayer may endager my soul or be an act of disobedience to the Holy See. I know that praying against evil isn't a fun and exciting matter but I really want to pray this, so that I can be strenghtened against temptation and deliver demons away from me. I'm 15 years old and I really wanted to recite this in my room, but I don't know if I'm meant to (I know a priest can bless houses, but my contact with the priest and the sacraments has been cut off by my parents) Can anyone help?
CAUTION!!!!

The first link on your post is to a schismatic group who has their own pope!!!! Please do not visit that site again! It's main intent is to deceive and lead faithful Catholics away and into heresy!!!

As for your question, it looks as though YoungMonk has answered it for you. God Bless!
Old Oct 3, '12, 6:25 am

Quote:

The St. Michael Archangel prayer is sufficiently efficient:

Sancte Michael Archangele, defendenos in proelio
contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli, esto praesidium.

Imperet illi Deus, suplices deprecamur, tuque Princeps Militae celestis
Satanam, aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum
pervagantur in mundo, Divina virtute in infernum detrude. Amen

Yes, in Latin....most efficient.
Old Oct 3, '12, 6:32 am

The problem with putting a question like this on a forum, is that you will get conflicting answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungmonk View Post
It is a restricted prayer for use of Priests only and would be very dangerous .......You can always use the normal prayer to St. Micheal though
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDwellar View Post
It's a good prayer. Of course you can use it.
Who do you believe? I would suggest asking an apologist section for this, you should get less opinion and more fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBound View Post
CAUTION!!!!
The first link on your post is to a schismatic group who has their own pope!!!!
As for your question, it looks as though YoungMonk has answered it for you. God Bless!
This is a sensible comment. You need to be careful of what you find on the internet. There is a lot of schismatic and heretical sites out there claiming to be the true catholic church, and loyal to the pope, when they are clearly not when investigated further. Young Monk and Rocky24 highlighted the pertinent answer of the then Cardinal Ratzinger, CDF, to this very question.
On the whole this site is trustworthy, but you will find conflicting opinion when you ask a question on an open forrm. Not everyones point of view is reliable or trustworthy.
Old Oct 3, '12, 6:49 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Once when I was very psychotic and frantic, my wife got on her knees in front of me, held my hands firmly and looked me right in the face, and started praying the St. Michael prayer and then some other things she knew but I didn't at the time.

Suddenly there was a huge liberating feeling. Now, about 8-9 years later, the liberating feeling persists and has grown into a feeling of liberation itself!

At the time, I was convinced her prayer saw a demon come from me. There is no other experience I've had on this earth that even comes close to that one. And even in my craziness I knew something had changed, and it gave me strength and hope. Of course I can't "officially" say it was a demon, but it was like giving birth (to the degree I know that feeling), or like a release of pressure after a prolonged blockage -- it may as well have been a demon for the way it acted.

I feel a great debt to my wife having said the St. Michael prayer for me at a critical and fragile moment in my life. She came right to me when I suddenly screamed out her name and said, "please don't leave me!" I honestly believed at the time she had "exorcised" me, and since I haven't found anybody who can competently tell me I was wrong. It was unmistakeable and took but a few seconds, but then subsided and it just didn't "snap" into effect right away so everyone else could see in me that liberation -- like as if Jesus had snapped His fingers -- it took years for the damage to reverse itself so I could quit being psychotic. Of course, Jesus could have just snapped His finger, but I figure the power of one snap of His finger over 9 years is still a huge treasure for me!

Now I feel a lot like Pinocchio...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinocchio in: I Got No Strings
I’ve got no strings
To hold me down
To make me fret
Or make me frown
I had strings
But now I’m free
There are no strings on me

Hi o the merio, that's
the only way to be!
I want the world to know
nothin' ever worries me

I’ve got no strings so I have fun
I’m not tied up to anyone
They've got strings but
you can see there are no strings
on me!
Alan
Old Oct 3, '12, 7:58 am

Religion: Baptized Catholic/(Wanabee)

Acts 19:12-16

12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

Best return it to a Church near you so that it's in the hands of the right people.
Old Oct 3, '12, 8:01 am

I don't doubt for a moment that Alan's wife, in her desperation, called out to the Lord and He answered her plea. But it sounds like those were pretty dire circumstances. In your case, OP, I would refrain from saying the prayers. You could say the St. Michael prayer that we are all familiar with: "St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen." An old priest told me once not to say any type of "binding" prayers...to instead pray the St. Michael prayer or a Hail Mary. Only the apostles (priests) have the authority to bind and loose. If you are reluctant to say these prayers, then there is a reason...don't dismiss your feelings. Pray the Rosary instead--the Blessed Mother will pray for your safety from evil.
Old Oct 3, '12, 5:04 pm

Thank-you to all who answered! I really appreciate it, although I don't have time to reply. I actually didn't know that site wad schismatic so I won't be going near it again. Thanks for the prayers suggested, I'll start praying them in Latin.

Thank to everyone for their fascinating stories and advice. I'll consider asking the question on AAA as some have suggested. Again, I'm really sorry that I couldn't reply to everyone but I really appreciated your posts.
Old Oct 6, '12, 11:24 am

Religion: Catholic, Loyal to the Pope

Here is some of the writings on Holy Souls Hermitage:

" I don’t know, off hand, how many particular sets of faculties I’ve received from (Arch)Dioceses right around the world. I’m up to date on police checks and protection programs.

The Bishop of the Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, has welcomed me as a hermit on one of the ridges of the Blue Ridge Mountains in his Diocese and also provided me with full faculties from the Diocese, the same as any of the other priests of the Diocese."

And a dissenter of Catholic Bishops:

"According to U.S. Bishops’ National Catholic Risk Retention Group, Inc. (NCRRG), all accused priests, regardless of guilt or innocence, are to be treated in a way analogous to – get this — terrorists. And you know what happens to terrorists: Kill them first; never ask questions later. If that doesn’t work, imprison them first; never ask questions later. Regardless of guilt or innocence. It’s got to stop, and it’s got to stop now.

If you haven’t already done so, as a primer, read this ♬ “Kíll the priest! ♬ Kíll the priest! ♬ Kíll the chí-ld ráp-ing priest!” ♬ (Meet the cheerleader) A HSH Special & this “The Judas Crisis” – Priests falsely accused and wrongly thrown out of the priesthood? Why? Follow the thirty pieces of silver – A HSH Special

Now, if chancery officials kept this from the NCRRG (Cardinal) (Arch)Bishop shareholders, let them say so. If the (Cardinal) (Arch)Bishop shareholders thought that all accused priests, regardless of guilt or especially innocence, ought best be eliminated, you know, pro bono Ecclesiae, for the good of the Church, let them say so. Whatever the case, they — the (Cardinal) (Arch)Bishops – need to make public statements of apology and drop their shareholding status in The National Catholic Risk Retention Group, Inc., as well as drop the homosexualized VIRTUS® program now making a bid to go worldwide by way of the Abuse Symposium in Rome, as it is the same company as the NCRRG. The (Cardinal) (Arch)Bishops need to do this now."

Wow , this is humble obedience to the Magisterium!

That letter from the CDF stated not to use this prayer in question in attempt at solemn exorcism or even cases of demonic influence. This is in the context of rites of exorcism & deliverance.

If one prays this prayer alone that is perfectly valid & licit. This is using this prayer as a private prayer. But I have seen people claim that using this prayer has the same effect as a hex or spell bringing down demons.

This is because priests giving their opinions that are not reflected in orthodox Catholic Teachings.

Continued.

BP
"Sacrifice for sinners and repeat many times, especially when you make a sacrifice: O my Jesus, this is out of love for you, for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary!"

BluesPicker

Old Oct 6, '12, 11:51 am

What has happened to the Church? Here are quote from a book written close companion of St. Maximillion Kolbe who is a co-founder of Marytown, the national shrine dedicated to St. Kolbe. The author is an Abbot, an exorcist himself, and an Ordinary just as any Bishop.

' Exorcism is a command to the demon, given in the name of God to depart from a person, place or thing. The formula of exorcism as given in the Roman Ritual is not reserved. It can be used by anyone, even by a lay person. There is no prohibition forbidding its use and the Church did not reserve those beautiful prayers, exclusively to the Sacred Ministers. Exorcism may be solemn or simple; public or private. The exorcism is solemn if it is performed to expel the demon himself; simple if it is performed to curb the influence of the demon. The Exorcism is public if it is performed by an ordained minister who acts as an Exorcist in the name and by the authority of the Church, in virtue of the powers received in Sacred Ordination. This power over possessed persons cannot be publicly used without special and express permission of the Ordinary. This prohibition is clearly defined in Canon 1151 No. 1(*Note): “No one endowed with the power of exorcising is allowed to pronounce an exorcism over a possessed person unless he has obtained special and express permission to do so from the Ordinary.” Hence, permission is required for solemn public exorcisms over possessed persons. No permission is needed for solemn public exorcisms over homes, field, animals, to places and in all private and simple exorcisms."

Note: That Canon 1151 No. 1 was the number in the Old Canon Law now it is Canon 1172 in the new revision of Canon Law.

More disturbing is the advice the author of Holy Souls Hermitage gives concerning the use of exorcism in the Confessional. He advices priests from saying exorcisms. I can't discern what he is saying because, like many, he confuses imprecative with imperative. From memory he advices not to say a imprecatory exorcism in the Confessional.

I don't have time to look that up but here is what Rev. Syzmanski says:

"When the time does not permit the recitation of long formal prayers, as for example, during the sacramental confession, when the confessor notices the danger of a sacrilegious confession or a difficulty in confessing sins, a simple command in his own words pronounced with faith will suffice … e.g. “I command you, evil spirit, in the name of our Lord Jesus Crucified to depart. Observe and notice the change that will follow."

The last sentence is not an imprecatory statement. But the author of Holy Souls Hermitage doesn't know this.

Imprecatory prayer is prayer asking God to kill, maim, curse, send into eternal damnation, or otherwise harm an enemy. In the United States imprecatory prayer is most often invoked by both sides before an important football game. Perhaps the most well-known imprecatory prayer is found in the Bible in Psalm 109, a Psalm which generally gets overlooked by sermon-writers.

Definition of IMPRECATION from Websters:
1: curse
2: the act of imprecating— im·pre·ca·to·ry adjective See imprecation defined for English-language learners » See imprecation defined for kids » Examples of IMPRECATION

He muttered imprecations under his breath.
<the defiant prisoner continued to hurl imprecations and insults at the guards>

Synonyms: anathema, ban, execration, curse, malediction, malison, winze [Scottish]
Antonyms: benediction, benison, blessing

I wonder what force can make people not see or keep from understanding or blind people from the simplest truths. I understand that VC II made changes; but it didn't depart completely from the Bible nor Holy Tradition or Teachings of the Catholic Church previously put forth.

"Demonic influence" is a term that describes a type of diabolical phenomena that is a specific attack on the person of a human being. Fr. Fortea defines it as:

"The "Influence" is the phenomenon by which a devil exercises certain influence over a person's body."

Fr. Fortea then recommends prayers of liberation for priests to say rather than solemn exorcism because there is no possession.

Why don't people read Fathers Amorth, Fortea, Ripperger, Ianuzzi, Syquia, Eutenuer (one of the best treaties on binding prayer contained in his book) & stay away from dissenters of the Catholic Church?

What force attracts people to such dangerous writings from a dissenter of the Catholic Church?
What force that would love if all private prayer to cease.

I urge the OP to contact Fr. Joseph Ianuzzi. To begin to understand his reply you have to understand ecclesiastical terms of the Catholic Church. Terms that the author of Holy Souls Hermitage mocks: minor, solemn, simple, & public.

And if you think that the Church for 150 years has been confused about this as the author of Holy Souls Hermitage contends. Then I suggest you direct your personal prayers towards asking Christ to help you with your personal faith in Him.

BP
"Sacrifice for sinners and repeat many times, especially when you make a sacrifice: O my Jesus, this is out of love for you, for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary!"

BluesPicker

Old Oct 6, '12, 12:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I've found a prayer which is called the St Michael Exorcism. [...] Now, I thought of asking on here, in case this prayer may endager my soul or be an act of disobedience to the Holy See.
No, you are not authorized; yes, it would be an act of disobedience.

The Inde Ab Aliquot Annis, On The Current Norms Governing Exorcisms, by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, clearly forbids it:

Quote:
Christ's faithful may not employ the formula of exorcism against Satan and the fallen angels which is excerpted from that formula made official by order of the Supreme Pontiff Leo XIII, and certainly may not use the entire text of that exorcism. Let all bishops take care to admonish the faithful about this matter whenever such instruction is required.
Only bishops and priests that have been appointed by bishops can carry out these special blessings.

Besides, what is the need for you to try to directly disturb the adversary? This may be an issue of pride. Read, instead, the "Story of a Soul" by St. Therese of Lisieux, and you will discover that true strength to drive Satan away is gathered when we grow in humbleness, and become smaller and smaller. Because Satan is terrified by the look of a little child.

We need to grow closer to Christ. The best way to do this is by frequent confession and by growing in devotion (I did not say reception, but devotion) to the Holy Eucharist (which may lead to more frequent reception).
Old Oct 6, '12, 7:22 pm

Ask the proper ecclesiastical authority, a trained exorcist, or call your Bishops office.

http://www.copiosa.org/

The motto Saint Alphonsus Ligouri chose for his beloved Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorist Fathers) was: "Copiosa apud eum redemptio" -- from the Latin Bible, verse 7 of Psalm 130 (the "de profundis"). With Christ there is Plentiful Redemption.
Saint Alphonsus was a voice announcing the Glad Tidings of charlie.jpg (8070 bytes) the Infinite Love of God for Humanity, especially for Sinners, at a time when Jansenism had spread a Coldness and Rigorism over so many sectors of the Church. Saint Alphonsus' Heart beat with the Heart of Christ, the Compassionate and Good Shepherd, Who leaves the ninety-nine to search out the lost one .... thus Alphonsus' commitment to preach the Gospel to "the most abandoned".
Father Charles Hergenroeder, CSSR has provided extensive assistance in compiling the many resources pertaining to Saint Alphonsus.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help is the Patroness of the Redemptorist Order founded by Saint Alphonsus. The original painting dates back to the XV Century by an unknown artist. Many Miracles are attributed to the painting which depicts the Moment when Archangels reveal to the Child Jesus the manner of His Death.

Also found on this website of this approved religious order are these instructions:

The following is a simple exorcism prayer that can be said by laity. The term “exorcism” does NOT always denote a solemn exorcism involving a person possessed by the devil. In general, the term denotes prayers to “curb the power of the devil and prevent him from doing harm.” As Saint Peter had written in Holy Scripture, “your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.” (1Peter 5:8)

The Holy Father exhorts priests to say this prayer as often as possible, as a simple exorcism to curb the power of the devil and prevent him from doing harm. The faithful also may say it in their own name, for the same purpose, as any approved prayer. Its use is recommended whenever action of the devil is suspected, causing malice in men, violent temptations and even storms and various calamities. It could be used as a solemn exorcism (an official and public ceremony, in Latin), to expel the devil. It would then be said by a priest, in the name of the Church and only with a Bishop's permission.

An approved prayer for the laity written by Pope Leo XIII Be certain OP to look at this web page & the previous one.

Just because the OP happened to venture onto a bad website that doesn't mean the all the information was incorrect, does it?

I assure you one doesn't need authorization from the private use of any prayer including the actual prayer of exorcism for people.

BP,

BluesPicker

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality