Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 6, '12, 10:02 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default How to get Holy Water?

Ok, so my Church never fills up the Holy water thingy were you get holy water to take home, can i just bring a bottle of water and ask the Priest to turn it to Holy Water? God bless
"For what page or what utterance of the divinely inspired books of the Old and the New Testament is not a most exact rule of human life? Or, what book of the holy Catholic Fathers doth not loudly proclaim how we may go straight to our Creator?" -Holy Rule of Saint Benedict
Old Oct 6, '12, 10:08 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to get Holy Water?

Yes of course. In my parish people often bring a gallon of water and have it blessed. :-)
Old Oct 6, '12, 11:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanncie View Post
Yes of course. In my parish people often bring a gallon of water and have it blessed. :-)
Ok, cool, thanks (: i just didn't want to look werid bringing a bottle of water in and asking him to bless it, and him looking at me werid xD
"For what page or what utterance of the divinely inspired books of the Old and the New Testament is not a most exact rule of human life? Or, what book of the holy Catholic Fathers doth not loudly proclaim how we may go straight to our Creator?" -Holy Rule of Saint Benedict
Old Oct 6, '12, 12:51 pm
Prayer Warrior

I seem to recall that Holy Water requires a special blessing.

I quote a few relevant things from here.

In the older rite (which priests may still use and we should feel free to kindly ask them to do so), Holy Water actually received an exorcism (first salt is exorcised and then blessed, then, water is exorcised and then blessed), and the prayer recited "pour forth your blessing + on this element".

The difference of the new rite with the older rite is not just that there is no exorcism or blending of exorcised and blessed salt. There is not explicit act of blessing. There is no sign of the cross indicated in the text. The words don’t say the water is blessed.

So serious was this issue at many different levels (not just, clearly, with holy water) that in a decree ‘Urbis et Orbis’ on the 14th of September, 2002 , the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments established that the sign of the cross must be made by the sacred ministers in all blessings even if there is no indication in the text itself.

Therefore, if water is blessed with the newer rite, it may become holy water, but there is a serious theological doubt on whether it is also blessed water. Many priests overcome the issue by simply employing the traditional blessing.

Why were those changes made? I am not sure.
Old Oct 6, '12, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrySteve View Post
Ok, so my Church never fills up the Holy water thingy were you get holy water to take home, can i just bring a bottle of water and ask the Priest to turn it to Holy Water? God bless
Yes... of course you can!

Mother of Christ, Star of the Sea, pray for the wanderer, pray for me.

"Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me"~ St. Patrick
Old Oct 6, '12, 7:01 pm

Religion: Catholic, Easter 2011

I asked my church's sacristan. He took me in the back room behind the altar, where there was a big water cooler dispenser thing, and filled me a small plastic holy water container. Ask your sacristan!
—Jesus, Luke 17:21
Old Oct 6, '12, 7:09 pm

Religion: Baptized Catholic/(Wanabee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrySteve View Post
Yes. But bring clean fresh water, no pollution or questionable sources.

Another time to get blessed water is Easter morning just before sunrise from a clean source of natural water like a running brook. The water is blessed.
Old Oct 7, '12, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_C View Post
I seem to recall that Holy Water requires a special blessing.

I quote a few relevant things from here.

In the older rite (which priests may still use and we should feel free to kindly ask them to do so), Holy Water actually received an exorcism (first salt is exorcised and then blessed, then, water is exorcised and then blessed), and the prayer recited "pour forth your blessing + on this element".

The difference of the new rite with the older rite is not just that there is no exorcism or blending of exorcised and blessed salt. There is not explicit act of blessing. There is no sign of the cross indicated in the text. The words don’t say the water is blessed.

So serious was this issue at many different levels (not just, clearly, with holy water) that in a decree ‘Urbis et Orbis’ on the 14th of September, 2002 , the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments established that the sign of the cross must be made by the sacred ministers in all blessings even if there is no indication in the text itself.

Therefore, if water is blessed with the newer rite, it may become holy water, but there is a serious theological doubt on whether it is also blessed water. Many priests overcome the issue by simply employing the traditional blessing.

Why were those changes made? I am not sure.
THIS, by all means! Have the water and salt both exorcised, and the third blessing said over the mixture. It doesn't take much salt to make it work.
Old Oct 7, '12, 11:32 am

Another thing you can do is look at other parishes in your area. I know that at least two within reasonable driving distance in my own area have water coolers specifically designated to hold holy water for parishioners.

おぼえていますか 目と目が会った時を
おぼえていますか 手と手が触れあった時
それは初めての 愛の旅立ちでした
I love you, so

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality