Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 8, '12, 12:08 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Marriage between Catholic and non baptized a sacrament?

If the groom is Catholic and the bride is a non baptized Christian and the wedding takes place in a Catholic church by a Catholic priest, is the marriage a sacrament? Official Church documents, teachings, etc. where I can read about this? Thanks!
Old Oct 8, '12, 2:29 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: Marriage between Catholic and non baptized a sacrament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_philip View Post
If the groom is Catholic and the bride is a non baptized Christian and the wedding takes place in a Catholic church by a Catholic priest, is the marriage a sacrament? Official Church documents, teachings, etc. where I can read about this? Thanks!

I would suggest reading this: THE SACRAMENT OF MATRIMONY

In particular I'd read 1601 and 1638. The answer to your question is that the marriage is only a sacrament if both parties to the marriage are baptized. However a marriage between a baptized Catholic and an unbaptized person can be valid. If the unbaptized person should become baptized at some point after a valid marriage then that marriage becomes a sacramental marriage.
Old Oct 8, '12, 3:41 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian - Traditional Lutheran

My friend was in a similar situation, but she was the baptized Catholic and he was not baptized. She had to get dispensation to marry him, but they were married in a Catholic ceremony. Their marriage is just not sacramental, but is valid.

Here's a link to a quick answer: http://www.catholic.com/quickquestio...e#.UHKtZcBpdDc
Old Oct 8, '12, 5:39 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by more_philip View Post
The main reason it is not a sacrament is that a person cannot receive any other sacrament without first receiving Baptism.

If the non-baptized person ever gets baptized, though, (provided the Catholic party sought the necessary dispensation and the marriage is valid) the marriage will automatically become sacramental.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Oct 8, '12, 5:50 am
Forum Elder

It is what the Church calls a valid, natural marriage. It is not a sacrament:

Can.* 842 ß1. A person who has not received baptism cannot be admitted validly to the other sacraments.

Marriage between the baptized is, by its nature, a sacrament:

Can.* 1055 ß1. The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring, has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptized.

ß2. For this reason, a valid matrimonial contract cannot exist between the baptized without it being by that fact a sacrament.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Oct 8, '12, 6:36 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am in a similar state, my wife has not yet been baptized, but I'm working on it She is slowly opening up to the idea. She's been going to church with me fairly regularly, and I think she'll be starting up RCIA classes next year (any prayers for this would be appreciated).

I am posting because I have a question related to this. What exactly does it mean for the Catholic in the relationship for the marriage to not be sacramental?
Old Oct 8, '12, 6:54 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdglArchitect View Post
I am posting because I have a question related to this. What exactly does it mean for the Catholic in the relationship for the marriage to not be sacramental?
Basically, it means the sacramental graces aren't there yet.

Of course, this does not mean that God abandons your relationship and leaves you devoid of any grace. You just don't have the specific graces that go along with the sacrament.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments