Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 11, '12, 10:12 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Devotion to "The Powerful Hand" or "La Mano Poderosa"

Hey everyone. I found a Catholic prayer candle at a grocery store where they sell some Mexican goods and it was one that I had never seen before but I thought it was interesting so I buoght it. On the front it says "The Powerful Hand" and in Spanish below it says "La Mano Poderosa". On the back it has one prayer in Spanish and one in English. Here is the English prayer:

Lord Jesus, you have extended your powerful hand to the blind and the deaf, to the crippled and to lepers, and those who were considered to be sinners. I call on you to extend your hand to me and to all those for whom I pray. Streams of blood flowed from the wound in your hand to wash away the sins of human kind. May your merciful hand forgive my sins and guide me as I journey in faith. May your powerful hand lead me to the Glory of God.

So, does anyone have any information about this devotion? I am really confused. I've never heard of it before.

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Old Oct 11, '12, 12:10 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23
Default Re: Devotion to "The Powerful Hand" or "La Mano Poderosa"

You have to be careful with low-rent grocery stores that sell so-called "Catholic devotion" candles, because sometimes these are pure superstition and sometimes they are actually spells and curses of Santeria instead. I have found this spell on a Santeria page and it is also called superstition by other pages. Obviously it is not a Catholic saint. It does not have a feast day or an approved cult in the Church. I recommend throwing it away immediately.
Old Oct 11, '12, 1:47 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
You have to be careful with low-rent grocery stores that sell so-called "Catholic devotion" candles, because sometimes these are pure superstition and sometimes they are actually spells and curses of Santeria instead. I have found this spell on a Santeria page and it is also called superstition by other pages. Obviously it is not a Catholic saint. It does not have a feast day or an approved cult in the Church. I recommend throwing it away immediately.
???? There is no mention of any saint in the prayer posted by the OP, simply because it is a prayer directky to Jesus and there is nothing wrong with that. And if you actually read the words of the prayer there is nothing in it which could in any way offend faithful Catholics.

No, there isn't a feast day attached to this particular devotion. So? There isn't one attached to the Crown of Thorns either, but people can certainly say prayers that me tion the Crown of Thorns can't they?

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Oct 11, '12, 6:31 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Thanks everyone. I'd like to hear some more opinions about this. I hope its not a superstition or some kind of spell.

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Old Oct 11, '12, 7:52 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!

http://www.luckymojo.com/manopoderosa.html

I dont know

This article has me scared

J.M.J
Old Oct 11, '12, 7:53 pm

I think it has occultic influence. I would stay away. I dont know, I will wait for more folks to chime in...

J.M.J
Old Oct 11, '12, 7:55 pm

http://forum.chnetwork.org/index.php?topic=9187.0

J.M.J
Old Oct 11, '12, 8:41 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Well, I did a little research online and everything I read about it says that it is Occultic in nature. I am definitely going to be throwing it away.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Old Oct 11, '12, 9:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Well, I did a little research online and everything I read about it says that it is Occultic in nature. I am definitely going to be throwing it away.
This devotion is popular in my family. We recognize it as a devotion to the Holy Family + Saints Anne and Joachim. I love this devotion.
Old Oct 11, '12, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymamamary View Post
http://www.luckymojo.com/manopoderosa.html

I dont know

This article has me scared
That hardly counts as an article.
Old Oct 12, '12, 1:20 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymamamary View Post
Your article makes my point very well.

It discusses how the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe is co-opted by drug traffickers. By your logic we should avoid having a devotion to the Guadalupana as well as the Mano Poderosa.

What they hey, gang members wear rosaries too - can't have anything to do with the Rosary either then. And I'm sure at least some of them wear crucifixes, so nix those as well.

Point being - if you truly want nothing to do with aspects of our faith that have been co-oped by the occult or criminals there will literally be nothing left. The Eucharist? Black Masses. Baptism? Rumour goes that in the Balkans in WWII Orthodox priests used to forcibly baptize Muslims and Catholics before they were massacred.

The devil can and does co-opt everything about our faith. Doesn't mean it can not all ( Santa Muerte maybe the only exception) be practiced in good conscience by the faithful

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Oct 12, '12, 6:37 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. I found a Catholic prayer candle at a grocery store where they sell some Mexican goods and it was one that I had never seen before but I thought it was interesting so I buoght it. On the front it says "The Powerful Hand" and in Spanish below it says "La Mano Poderosa". On the back it has one prayer in Spanish and one in English. Here is the English prayer:

Lord Jesus, you have extended your powerful hand to the blind and the deaf, to the crippled and to lepers, and those who were considered to be sinners. I call on you to extend your hand to me and to all those for whom I pray. Streams of blood flowed from the wound in your hand to wash away the sins of human kind. May your merciful hand forgive my sins and guide me as I journey in faith. May your powerful hand lead me to the Glory of God.

So, does anyone have any information about this devotion? I am really confused. I've never heard of it before.
AFAIK it's a Mexican folk devotion to, well, the Hand of God. And of quite some vintage: I've seen retablo from I believe the 19th century of the image (hand with stigmata, Holy Family). A bit odd as it may sound to many of us, I don't think that it's too different from the veneration of, say, the Sacred Heart or the Holy Face or any other of Jesus' body parts or items like the Crown of Thorns or the Cross (as someone had pointed out).

Yes, the image is used often in folk magic or occultic stuff, but as Lily had said, just because something sacred is co-opted for questionable purposes does not necessarily make it evil. Santeria and Vodou identify Christian icons with African deities in a syncretistic sort of way, but that doesn't mean we should stop using images or venerating the saints. Are we to reject Mary just because Our Lady of Czestochowa is identified with Erzulie Dantor? Seriously, this is just the same old 'pagans used X, therefore X is evil' argument (a staple of anti-Catholic rhetoric) in a different set of clothes. I don't see why we couldn't 'reclaim' this image in true Catholic fashion.

P.S. I actually have a small picture of it in my room. Not really a devotee of this particular devotion per se, but I like the image's symbolism.
Old Oct 12, '12, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
AFAIK it's a Mexican folk devotion to, well, the Hand of God. And of quite some vintage: I've seen retablo from I believe the 19th century of the image (hand with stigmata, Holy Family). A bit odd as it may sound to many of us, I don't think that it's too different from the veneration of, say, the Sacred Heart or the Holy Face or any other of Jesus' body parts or items like the Crown of Thorns or the Cross (as someone had pointed out).

Yes, the image is used often in folk magic or occultic stuff, but as Lily had said, just because something sacred is co-opted for questionable purposes does not necessarily make it evil. Santeria and Vodou identify Christian icons with African deities in a syncretistic sort of way, but that doesn't mean we should stop using images or venerating the saints. Are we to reject Mary just because Our Lady of Czestochowa is identified with Erzulie Dantor? Seriously, this is just the same old 'pagans used X, therefore X is evil' argument (a staple of anti-Catholic rhetoric) in a different set of clothes. I don't see why we couldn't 'reclaim' this image in true Catholic fashion.

P.S. I actually have a small picture of it in my room. Not really a devotee of this particular devotion per se, but I like the image's symbolism.
Great response

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality