Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 15, '12, 10:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Feast Day of St. Teresa of Avila

Dear St. Teresa of Avila’s feast day is today, October 15th.
She is an extremely helpful intercessor from Heaven. Please see one of her quotes below:

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/prayer-...resa-of-avila/

“Let nothing disturb you, let nothing frighten you, all things pass away; God never changes.
Patience obtains all things. He who has God finds he lacks nothing; God alone suffices.”

God bless,
~Rae
Old Oct 15, '12, 10:52 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Feast Day of St. Teresa of Avila

The Interior Castle or The Mansions
by
St. Teresa of Avila

THE SEVENTH MANSIONS
3. When our Lord is pleased to take pity on the sufferings, both past and present, endured
through her longing for Him by this soul which He has spiritually taken for His bride, He, before consummating the celestial marriage, brings her into this His mansion or presence chamber. This is the seventh Mansion, for as He has a dwelling-place in heaven, so has He in the soul, where none but He may abide and which may be termed a second heaven.
4. It is important, sisters, that we should not fancy the soul to be in darkness. As we are
accustomed to believe there is no light but that which is exterior, we imagine that the soul is wrapt in obscurity. This is indeed the case with a soul out of the state of grace, not, however, through any defer in the Sun of Justice which remains within it and gives it being, but the soul itself is incapable of receiving the light, as I think I said in speaking of the first Mansion. A certain person was given to understand that such unfortunate souls are, as it were, imprisoned in a gloomy dungeon, chained hand and foot and unable to perform any meritorious action: they are also both blind and dumb. Well may we pity them when we reflect that we ourselves were once in the same state and that God may show them mercy also.
5. Let us, then, sisters, be most zealous in interceding for them and never neglect it. To pray for a soul in mortal sin is a far more profitable form of almsgiving than it would be to help a Christian whom we saw with hands strongly fettered behind his back, tied to a post and dying of hunger—not for want of food, because plenty of the choicest delicacies lay near him, but because he was unable to put them into his mouth, although he was extremely exhausted and on the point of dying, and that not a temporal death, but an eternal one. Would it not be extremely cruel of us to stand looking at him, and give him nothing to eat? What if by your prayers you could loose his bonds? Now you understand.
6. For the love of God I implore you constantly to remember in your prayers souls in a like
case. We are not speaking now of them but of others who, by the mercy of God, have done penance for their sins and are in a state of grace. You must not think of the soul as insignificant and petty but as an interior world containing the number of beautiful mansions you have seen; as indeed it should, since in the centre of the soul there is a mansion reserved for God Himself.

Peace
Old Oct 15, '12, 12:37 pm

you want to know whether you have made progress or not, sisters, you may be sure that you have if each of you thinks herself the worst of all and shows that she thinks this by acting for the profit and benefit of the rest. Progress has nothing to do with enjoying the greatest number of consolations in prayer, or with raptures, visions or favors [often] given by the Lord, the value of which we cannot estimate until we reach the world to come. The other things I have been describing are current coin, an unfailing source of revenue and a perpetual inheritance -- not payments liable at any time to cease, like those favors which are given us and then come to an end. I am referring to the great virtues of humility, mortification and an obedience so extremely strict that we never go an inch beyond the superior's orders, knowing that these orders come from God since she is in His place. It is to this duty of obedience that you must attach the greatest importance. It seems to me that anyone who does not have it is not a nun at all, and so I am saying no more about it, as I am speaking to nuns whom I believe to be good, or, at least, desirous of being so. So well known is the matter, and so important, that a single word will suffice to prevent you from forgetting it.
Old Oct 15, '12, 1:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Beautiful quote! Thank you! I also have interior castles and it's one of my favorite books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humility101 View Post
Dear St. Teresa of Avila’s feast day is today, October 15th.
She is an extremely helpful intercessor from Heaven. Please see one of her quotes below:

http://www.turnbacktogod.com/prayer-...resa-of-avila/

“Let nothing disturb you, let nothing frighten you, all things pass away; God never changes.
Patience obtains all things. He who has God finds he lacks nothing; God alone suffices.”

God bless,
~Rae

"..no man can look upon a crucifix and say that sin is not serious, nor can he ever say it cannot be forgiven." - Bishop Fulton Sheen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality