Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 23, '12, 7:26 am

Religion: Catholic
Default How long does it take to become a priest?

My diocese website says that it take six to eight years to become ordained a deacon and then a priest half a year after that. It didn't say though how to achieve the six year path. If I go to college and major in philosophy and minor in theology and then join the seminary after college, how many years will I be in the seminary before becoming ordained?
"Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen."

Old Oct 23, '12, 7:37 am

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen
Default Re: How long does it take to become a priest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish 13 View Post
My diocese website says that it take six to eight years to become ordained a deacon and then a priest half a year after that. It didn't say though how to achieve the six year path. If I go to college and major in philosophy and minor in theology and then join the seminary after college, how many years will I be in the seminary before becoming ordained?
You should be speaking with the Vocations Director of your diocese to have these questions answered. In general, Major Seminary is a 4-year program for those who have the requisite credits in Philosophy & Theology, with about a year of Pastoral work after being ordained a deacon and before being ordained as priest, bringing the total to about 5 years.

Musings From One of the Women
Old Oct 23, '12, 10:24 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
I agree that it would be a good idea for you to talk with your Diocesan Director of Vocations now if you are at all considering the priesthood. He would be able to give you the information that would help you pcik the right courses.

My guess is that 6-8 year estimate is based on guys who don't have bachelor's degrees in philosophy or theology before they enter. If a guy graduates high school knowing that he wants to be a priest, he'll generally go through 4 years of minor seminary (basically getting a bachelor's degree in philosophy/theology) and 4 years of major seminary.

But again, a lot of it depends on the individual and the diocese. Your best bet is talking to the vocations director.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction.

No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Oct 23, '12, 10:46 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
My guess is that 6-8 year estimate is based on guys who don't have bachelor's degrees in philosophy or theology before they enter.
Actually, it's based on having a bachelor's degree, regardless of the major area of study. If a man enters formation without an undergraduate degree, he'll work toward a BA in Philosophy; if he enters having already received a bachelor's, he'll do two years of 'pre-theology' (his academic course of study will be in Philosophy, and may or may not be at the graduate level or lead to a graduate degree).

In either case, he'll then move on to theology, and start a four-year program. (If he goes to Rome, it might be a five-year program, and include two degrees.) If his diocese requires a pastoral year, that'll add another year to the program.
Old Oct 23, '12, 8:41 pm

8 yrs = no college
6 yrs = have any kind bachelor or higher degree
Old Oct 24, '12, 5:17 am

So if you go into the seminary after high school it will just take you eight years but if you go college and then the seminary it takes you a total of ten years?
"Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen."

Old Oct 24, '12, 6:01 am

Quote:
So if you go into the seminary after high school it will just take you eight years but if you go college and then the seminary it takes you a total of ten years?
Yes, that is my understanding since I didn't have any college when I went in and talking to the pre-theologians here at school
Old Oct 24, '12, 6:27 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
If you include your undergraduate degree as part of the ten years, then yes that's possible. It depends on what you study. If you plan ahead, you can take all the right philosophy and theology courses in your undergrad. If you don't discern a call to the priesthood until later in your college career (or even after), then once you get started, you have to play a little catch up by taking those undergrad level philosophy and theology courses to prepare you for seminary.

The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction.

No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:19 am

When I get to college I will be majoring in philosphy and minoring in theology, so if I do that will it take less than ten years? Also how will I know what philosphy and theology clasees to take when at college?

Old Oct 24, '12, 8:39 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
When I get to college I will be majoring in philosphy and minoring in theology, so if I do that will it take less than ten years? Also how will I know what philosphy and theology clasees to take when at college?
You really should talk to your diocesan Vocations Director about this so you don't have to guess. A lot can depend on exactly what philosophy and theology classes you take and where you are going to school. I know some guys who took a lot of philosophy and religion courses at secular schools, and not much of that credit transferred over because it is obviously coming from a much different vantage point.

Sometimes, even if it is from a Catholic university, more courses will be needed for catching up simply because there are gaps in the topics a student studied. Vocations programs often have pretty specific curriculum requirements. Even if you have loads of good coursework under your belt, if you're missing some specific courses, you'll still need to make them up.

Again, your best bet for making good decisions in this regard is to talk to your diocesan Vocations Director. Even if you're still unsure of where you'd want to be a priest or even if you want to be a priest, it would be very beneficial to at least call him up and get some more information. It's far better to do that now when it can help you plot your future course of action than later when you discover you could have done things differently.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:49 am

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

Quote:
You don't say if you are in the US or not.

If you are, I highly recommend that you look at this. The Program of Priestly Formation was developed by the USCCB and approved by the Holy See. Any man who wants to become a priest- secular or religious, in the US, follows this program.

You really need to be talking to the Vocations Director in your diocese before you make any decisions about your education.

Musings From One of the Women
Old Oct 29, '12, 12:52 pm

Quote:
My friend did the same thing. It took him 9 years until he was ordained a priest.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations