Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 24, '12, 6:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Reiki and massage

In the past I have had at least a couple of massages where the practitioner used something on me I now know to be called "reiki". At the time (this has been several years ago), she told me it was using "healing" energies, and I believed it was real and that it could heal me, but never thought it was evil or a sin. Now I am learning that these "energies" can be demonic forces, and I am upset about this. Fifteen months ago I had a reversion and really started taking my Catholic faith seriously. I go to confession regularly and Mass 3-4 times a week. I have never purposely withheld this from confession, and I have been told by two different priests not to confess anymore sins from my past due to my scrupulosity. But I am concerned that I may have been negatively influenced by this "reiki" that was performed on me, even though I didn't realize at the time it was a bad thing. Should I speak to a priest or should I just praise God for my reversion and let the past be the past?
Old Oct 24, '12, 6:54 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Reiki and massage

If one struggles with scruples --the age old practice is to have a "regular confessor".

Such like questions could be in particular discussed with him
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:07 pm
Observing Member

Hi My name is Lilian Schmid, I am Catholic Charismatic, I have taught on the subject of Christian Healing in the Catholic Church.

Reiki and massage this comes under the category of New Age Healing energy. Everything is not coming from the Holy Spirit is not safe. Jesus healed the sick and He prayed for them. The bible is full of Jesus' miracle of Healing, I am very happy that you confessed this. I would like to ask you to submit yourself to the Holy Spirit and ask Him to come and cleanse your mind, body and soul. Ask the Holy Spirit to remove anything from the past and give all to Jesus.

CATHOLIC HEALING PRAYERS
Prayer for Healing
Almighty and merciful Father, by the power of your command, drive away from me all forms of sickness and disease. Restore strength to my body and joy to my spirit, so that in my renewed health, I may bless and serve you, now and forevermore.

Dear Lord Jesus, it is my will to surrender to you everything that I am and everything that I’m striving to be. I open the deepest recesses of my heart to you and invite your Holy Spirit to dwell inside of me.

I offer you my life, heart, mind, body, soul, spirit, all my hopes, plans and dreams. I surrender to you my past, present and future problems, habits, character defects, attitudes, livelihood, resources, finances, medical coverage, occupation and all my relationships.

I give you my health, disabilities, physical appearance, home, family, marriage, children, sexuality and friendships. I ask you to take Lordship over every aspect of my life. I surrender to you all my hurt, pain, worry, anxiety and fear, and I ask you to wash me clean.

I release everything into your compassionate care. Please speak to me clearly, Lord. Open my ears to hear your voice. Open my heart to commune with you more deeply. I desperately need to feel your loving embrace. Shut the doors that need to be shut and open the doors that need to be opened. Set my feet upon the straight and narrow road that leads to everlasting life. Amen.

Psalm 511
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are justified in your sentence and blameless when you pass judgment. Indeed, I was born guilty, a sinner when my mother conceived me.

You desire truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit.

Isaiah 53
Precious Lord Jesus, I thank you for your enduring love. You came into the world to set me free from the power of darkness. You embraced a violent death on the cross to pay the penalty on my behalf. You suffered the scourging at the pillar, taking the sickness of humanity upon your own flesh, so that I could be healed.

I come before you now to place all my sin upon your cross and ask for your precious blood to wash me clean. I place the penalty for my sinfulness, all my sickness, diseases and infirmities upon your cross, and for the sake of your sorrowful passion, I ask to be set free. I accept your sacrifice and receive your gift of reconciliation. I confess your Lordship over every aspect of my life, heart, mind, body, soul and spirit.

Through the power of your cross Lord Jesus, I now resist all forms of sin, sickness and disease. I say to all forms of sickness and disease caused by my own disobedience, that you are not God’s good and perfect will for my life, and I enforce the power of the cross upon you right now.

By the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I command all forms of sickness and disease to leave my presence immediately. Jesus bore my infirmities. He was wounded for my transgressions. By his stripes I have been healed. No sickness, pain, death, fear or addiction shall ever lord over me again. The penalty has been paid in full. I have been ransomed and redeemed, sanctified and set free. Amen.

Hail Mary and the Lord's Prayer
Lilian Schmid
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:17 pm

Father William Doyle, S.J (1873-1917+) wrote a booklet on scrupulosity that he adapted from a booklet by Father R. P. Dupois, S.J.

Quote:
SCRUPLES AND THEIR TREATMENT

The manuscript copy of this booklet was found among the papers of the late Father William Doyle, S.J. It is partly a translation, partly an adaptation, of L’Ange Conducteur des Ames Scrupuleuses ou Craintives, par le R. P. Dupois, S.J.

Father Dupois’ little book first appeared in 1897, and since then it has gone through sixteen editions. It has been examined and approved of by the Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, and has, besides, the approbation of many bishops and theologians.
Father Doyle’s version has been somewhat reduced in size, and some alterations in it made, and the booklet is now published in the hope that it may be an encouragement and a help to timid and scrupulous souls
Here is the opening to see if it might be useful to you...link to document is at the end.(its @ 21 pages).

Pax Christi
Quote:
General Considerations
Definition.

Scrupulosity, in general, is an ill-founded fear of committing sin.
There are two kinds of scruples: those which affect only the intelligence; those which affect also the sensitive will.

- Purely intellectual scruples are really only doubts. They are most frequently met with in straightforward souls, who exercise self-control and are not habitually scrupulous. As soon, therefore, as these souls become morally certain that the act in question is not sinful, the scruple vanishes. This kind of scruple is harmless, and needs no treatment
- The contrary is the case with scruples which affect the inferior part of the soul (sensitive will). From the strong impression produced on the senses these draw a force which resists the mere statement of facts. Such scruples chiefly afflict impressionable souls; in fact, it is their emotional nature which engenders scrupulosity. A practical definition of this kind of scruple would be: an uneasy, ill-founded fear of committing sin, increased by the impressions made on the inferior part of the soul.

An example may help to make clearer these different kinds of scruples. Two persons leave the church on a Sunday morning, fearing that, owing to their many distractions, they have not complied with their obligation of hearing Mass. Having listened to their doubts, their confessor reassures both. However, one only is entirely satisfied. The other soon becomes troubled again, gets nervous, and feels an almost irresistible longing to be quite sure, either by fuller explanation or by hearing another Mass. The first of these persons had only an intellectual scruple, the harmless fear of a loyal soul; the second suffers from nervous fear, which stirs the sensitive part of the soul, and causes a real scruple.

Difficulty in the Treatment of Scruples,

A true scruple, being involuntary and spontaneous, the cure will consist, not in preventing it, as this is impossible, but in despising it.

But in this lies all the difficulty. How deluded is the scrupulous person who imagines himself “cured” when he has fully understood his director’s decision, and realised the foolishness of his fears!

He fancies that it is quite easy to do what he now so “clearly” sees to be “the best.” Yet it is only now that the real struggle will begin. For the first time he realises to what lengths the tyranny of his impressions leads him.
His feelings become so many iron chains; at every effort made by his confessor’s orders, to get free, his hands and feet feel tied down by almost invincible bonds.
God will help him, but his cure will be complete only when, by dint of repeated victories, he will have acquired the habit of conquering himself.

http://fatherdoyle.files.wordpress.c...-treatment.pdf
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:17 pm

[quote=LilianM;9932978] I am very happy that you confessed this.

That's just it...I haven't confessed this yet. I haven't deliberately withheld it from confession, but past sins keep coming to mind and I keep going to confession with them. One priest has told me not to confess any more sins from the past b/c I am scrupulous. Another priest has said he would have given me the same advice. So I am unsure whether to confess this now or not. But I am thinking maybe I should anyway...just to get rid of it forever. I am scrupulous NOW but years ago I was not. That's the whole problem...I have much grave matter in my past, but in my present I blow "venial" matter into mortal matter.
Old Oct 24, '12, 8:49 pm

[quote=Veronica97;9933009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilianM View Post
I am very happy that you confessed this.

That's just it...I haven't confessed this yet. I haven't deliberately withheld it from confession, but past sins keep coming to mind and I keep going to confession with them. One priest has told me not to confess any more sins from the past b/c I am scrupulous. Another priest has said he would have given me the same advice. So I am unsure whether to confess this now or not. But I am thinking maybe I should anyway...just to get rid of it forever. I am scrupulous NOW but years ago I was not. That's the whole problem...I have much grave matter in my past, but in my present I blow "venial" matter into mortal matter.
When you had the massage did you know it was sinfull? Seems from what you said you did not.

If the action has been declared grave matter by the Church "mortal sin" but you did it without full knowledge or without complete consent then it is a "venial sin" and therefore when you went to confession even if you did not specifically remembered it at the time it would still be absolved.

Also venial sins are forgiven when you partake in the mass and do your "act of contrition" and ask God for forgiveness.

and pray this:

Spirit of our God, Father, Son , and Holy Spirit, Most Holy Trinity, Immaculate Virgin Mary, angels, archangels, and saints of Heaven, descend upon me. Please purify me, Lord, mold me, fill me with Yourself, use me. Banish all the forces of evil from me, destroy them, vanquish them, so that I can be healthy and do good deeds. Banish from me all spells, black magic, diabolic infestations, oppressions, possessions; all that is evil ,moral, spiritual, diabolical ailments.

Burn all these evils in hell, that they may never again touch me or any other creature in the entire world. I command and bid all the powers who molest me -- by the power of God all powerful, in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior, through the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary -- to leave me forever, and to be consigned into the everlasting hell, where they will be bound by Saint Michael the archangel, Saint Gabriel, Saint Raphael, our guardian angels, and where they will be crushed under the heel of the Immaculate Virgin Mary.

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, I sign myself with the sign of the cross.

I remember that I am sealed into the New Covenant by the blood of the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world.

I asked to be filled and protected with the glory light of heaven and to radiate God's light in all I do and to all that I meet this day.

May I be so filled with God's holiness that heaven abides within me and no sin, sickness, bitterness, doubt or fear finds any place to lodge in me. May love, faith, humility, courage, wisdom, joy, peace and righteousness, fill me and radiate through me so that God's Kingdom comes around me today.

Signed, sealed and protected by God and hidden in Christ I know that nothing can separate me from God's love, joy and peace this day. God will never leave me and I will never leave him. I am His and He is mine. He is my Father and I am His beloved. May He delight in me while I delight in His presence all this day.

Be at peace.
Old Oct 24, '12, 10:15 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
If one struggles with scruples --the age old practice is to have a "regular confessor".

Such like questions could be in particular discussed with him
if it bothers you that much go to another Parish and confess there - I do that, but I may struggle with scruples too

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Oct 25, '12, 2:39 am

Thank you, all. I'm planning on going to confession today. It's been about 3 weeks anyway. It bothers me enough that I'd just like to get it off my chest once and for all.
Old Oct 25, '12, 10:13 pm
Observing Member

my dear sister,
go and be blessed, Jesus loves and His mother too.
Blessings
Lilian

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality