Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 26, '12, 7:06 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Default Organ donation

So what does the RCC think about organ donation to save a life, like heart and kidney, is that interferring in God's plan? I can't imagine it would be a sin, but I don't know, is it morally ethical, I'm also interested in your personal opinion. I keep flip flopping on this.
Old Oct 26, '12, 8:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Organ donation

Pope John Paul II sums up the position of the Church in these words:

[T]he Gospel of life is to be celebrated above all in daily living, which should be filled with self-giving love for others. . . . Over and above such outstanding moments, there is an everyday heroism, made up of gestures of sharing, big or small, which build up an authentic culture of life. A particularly praiseworthy example of such gestures is the donation of organs, performed in an ethically acceptable manner, with a view to offering a chance of health and even of life itself to the sick who sometimes have no other hope (Evangelium Vitae, no. 86, original emphasis).
Old Oct 26, '12, 9:00 am

The problem is not with donating organs once you are dead, the problem is with harvesting organs while you are still alive. That would be choosing to kill somebody in order to save someone else and it is immoral.
Old Oct 26, '12, 9:40 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Please do your homework on organ donation. Not all require the death of an individual. Livers can be bisected and the donor keeps part of their liver while the transplanted liver lives and grows in the new body. Also kidneys can be transplanted because we don't necessarily need 2 kidneys to be healthy. It's not always the case, but often is. I received my lifesaving kidney transplant from my amazing sister. Not only did we WALK out of the hospital after 3 days, we are both healthy and life-filled parents to our own families 8 years after the surgery.

A true Catholic would never ask/expect an organ donation from a living person if it meant the death of the donor...that's murder. After talking to my priest, we believe Blessed JPII was referring to non threatening organs from donors and that it's in line with Church teaching to say yes to organ donation on things such as you're driver's license.

NM NATIVE
Old Oct 26, '12, 9:50 am

Please do your homework on organ donation. Not all require the death of an individual. Livers can be bisected and the donor keeps part of their liver while the transplanted liver lives and grows in the new body. Also kidneys can be transplanted because we don't necessarily need 2 kidneys to be healthy. It's not always the case, but often is. I received my lifesaving kidney transplant from my amazing sister. Not only did we WALK out of the hospital after 3 days, we are both healthy and life-filled parents to our own families 8 years after the surgery.

A true Catholic would never ask/expect an organ donation from a living person if it meant the death of the donor...that's murder. After talking to my priest, we believe Blessed JPII was referring to non threatening organs from donors and that it's in line with Church teaching to say yes to organ donation on things such as you're driver's license.

NM NATIVE
Old Oct 26, '12, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Native View Post
.................. it's in line with Church teaching to say yes to organ donation on things such as you're driver's license.

NM NATIVE
I think that kidney and liver transplants take a lot of courage and love on the donor's side and they make sense, bone marrow donation is another very useful procedure when possible. I am glad that you and your sister can share that extra bond. Your suggestion of talking to a priest is a very good idea especially if people are not comfortable with some aspects or risks of transplants like kidneys.

I disagree with your last statement. Saying yes to organ donation on your driver license does not imply an alignment with Church teachings. It simply says that the doctors can harvest the organs when they deem it appropriate and in some cases that could imply the killing of the patient.
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:00 am

Quote:
I think that the poster was not referring to that sort of situation, but the problem where sometimes people are near death, but not actually dead, and organs are harvested from them prematurely. I have no personal knowledge of whether/how often this happens, but certainly there have been stories where medicine has considered the person "dead" before the Church would agree.

God bless you and your sister and may you both live long and healthy lives!

--Jen
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:01 am
Banned

Quote:

NM NATIVE
Wow that is so wonderful your sister gave (was able to) give you a kidney. Its amazing yous left the hosp in 3 days. I do know we only need one kidney, I'm so happy for your both. I guess God would not of given the doctors the gift to do this is he didn't want it to be done. Thank you for your wonderful story.
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:16 am

Thank you all for the kind words. I truly am blessed to have the family that i do.

I'm sure there are times when medicine declares the person "dead" when the church does not. That's where having a priest there for last rights could help avoid that type of situation.
My personal opinion is being an organ donor on dl and such forms goes with being open to life, not just with between husband and wife. Too many people get their medical information from watching the tv, or wikipedia.

God Bless,

NM NATIVE
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:20 am
Banned

Anyone see that movie "My Sisters Keeper" I think Cameron Diaz was in it and they had a child just so their first dtr would have a donor from the biblical cord because I think she had leukemia and no one else in the family was capatable. I wont say much more, as not to ruin it for anyone but it was really good.

also there was that movie "Seven" will Will Smith and he kills seven people in an accident and won't say much more there either.

but they are saving blood from the cord now for future need and freezing it. I think in the 2050 people will be living to 100-120, with all the advances and more people are not smoking now days,
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:26 am

Quote:
..........Too many people get their medical information from watching the tv, ...............
I can attest that after watching 11 years of MASH I consider myself a very experienced combat surgeon. I just do not understand why AMA disagrees with me.

BTW I also got my psychology training from watching the Bob Newhart show.
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:44 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I can attest that after watching 11 years of MASH I consider myself a very experienced combat surgeon. I just do not understand why AMA disagrees with me.

BTW I also got my psychology training from watching the Bob Newhart show.
Use to love the Bob Newhart show.
Old Oct 26, '12, 10:50 am

Yes. Those were real shows. They often saved several lives within the 30 min allotment. Shows nowadays take a whole hour to save one life.
Old Oct 26, '12, 1:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
Yes. Those were real shows. They often saved several lives within the 30 min allotment. Shows nowadays take a whole hour to save one life.
like House, he usually saves the person in the last 10 mins after almost killing them for the first 50 mins.
Old Oct 26, '12, 1:52 pm
Banned

Does no one know about the various online catechisms?

Quote:
2296 Organ transplants are in conformity with the moral law if the physical and psychological dangers and risks to the donor are proportionate to the good sought for the recipient. Organ donation after death is a noble and meritorious act and is to be encouraged as a expression of generous solidarity. It is not morally acceptable if the donor or his proxy has not given explicit consent. Moreover, it is not morally admissible to bring about the disabling mutilation or death of a human being, even in order to delay the death of other persons.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...2c2a5.htm#2296

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology