Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 29, '12, 5:16 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why was the bible written?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurbupar View Post
I know that this is a very basic question, but I find it to be a VERY important one that people overlook. I know that the bible was written for the mass (if anyone has documents from the early church proving this, that would be great) but what else was it written for?
I'm not sure I would have worded it that way.

The Mass was said before the Bible was compiled as we know it today. Actually one can say the Mass was a continuation of the old sacrifice as performed by the high priests (Melchizadech et al), so whatever Hebrew books were available at that time served as the basis for the "Mass."
Old Oct 29, '12, 5:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: off-the-record "discerning"

From what I understand, when Constantine wanted to unify the empire together into one religion, he wanted to consolidate the beliefs of that religion into one book and called the bishops together to do so. Also, it was meant as a vehicle to convert people to this religion. But it did take several decades, even centuries, to decide exactly what would be included in this canon.
It's disputable whether Constantine was ever actually a follower of Jesus of N. It is said that he had a deathbed conversion, but many say this didn't really happen.It's true, it doesn't make sense that he would wait that long to convert.
Old Oct 29, '12, 6:20 pm

Religion: The Way

God gave us His Torah so we could know Him and chose to engage with Him through the Covenant. The words of God consist of the Torah, Prophets, Psalms, and the Words of Yahowsha (in so far as they have been preserved - which isn't very well . . . ) Nothing else is God's word, just commentary.
Old Oct 30, '12, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
From what I understand, when Constantine wanted to unify the empire together into one religion, he wanted to consolidate the beliefs of that religion into one book and called the bishops together to do so. Also, it was meant as a vehicle to convert people to this religion. But it did take several decades, even centuries, to decide exactly what would be included in this canon.
It's disputable whether Constantine was ever actually a follower of Jesus of N. It is said that he had a deathbed conversion, but many say this didn't really happen.It's true, it doesn't make sense that he would wait that long to convert.
Actually, waiting that long does make sense--in his circumstances.

An Emperor was required to do things not allowed to a Christian. In particular, he had to authorize the killing of condemned criminals. I believe he was also required to participate in certain state cult rituals and sacrifices--which were pagan. (That last may be in error.)

At the time of Constantine, Reconciliation was still under the Public Penitentiary rules--including the limit that you could only take part in it once after you were baptized. Murder would certainly demand the use of the Penitentiary to be forgiven--which means that Constantine, if baptized, would almost immediately be in a state of mortal sin, which he would then only have one chance to be forgiven.

In those days, many "Christians" put off being baptized until they were gravely ill or dying, because of this. That way, even if you recovered, you would have one more chance to be forgiven if you did slip up and sin mortally. This was not what the Gospel was about, and the situation would lead (eventually) to the reform of reconciliation that gave us Confession.
Old Oct 30, '12, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahudi View Post
God gave us His Torah so we could know Him and chose to engage with Him through the Covenant. The words of God consist of the Torah, Prophets, Psalms, and the Words of Yahowsha (in so far as they have been preserved - which isn't very well . . . ) Nothing else is God's word, just commentary.
There is the theory that all that Moses actually heard of the Torah was the first Aleph--a soundless glottal stop. All after that was his commentary.

But this goes too far. Paul is certainly not afraid to interpret and apply God's word--and even to distinguish what God intends from what Paul thinks, as in 1 Cor 7:1-16--note especially vs. 10 and 12! And yet, the whole letter is considered by the Church to be inspired, as Dei Verbum 11 says:

Quote:
Those divinely revealed realities which are contained and presented in Sacred Scripture have been committed to writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. For holy mother Church, relying on the belief of the Apostles, holds that the books of both the Old and New Testaments in their entirety, with all their parts, are sacred and canonical because written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author and have been handed on as such to the Church herself. In composing the sacred books, God chose men and while employed by Him they made use of their powers and abilities, so that with Him acting in them and through them, they, as true authors, consigned to writing everything and only those things which He wanted.

Therefore, since everything asserted by the inspired authors or sacred writers must be held to be asserted by the Holy Spirit, it follows that the books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings for the sake of salvation. Therefore "all Scripture is divinely inspired and has its use for teaching the truth and refuting error, for reformation of manners and discipline in right living, so that the man who belongs to God may be efficient and equipped for good work of every kind" (2 Tim. 3:16-17, translated from the Greek text). (emphasis added)
In other words: We believe that God inspired all of the Scriptures, whether it is designated as God's words or not. It is cast in the author's words, using all their human gifts--but is still inspired and shaped as the Holy Spirit intended.

And the purpose, as noted, is to express "that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings for the sake of salvation."
Old Oct 30, '12, 10:00 am
Banned

Religion: Quaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurbupar View Post
I know that this is a very basic question, but I find it to be a VERY important one that people overlook. I know that the bible was written for the mass (if anyone has documents from the early church proving this, that would be great) but what else was it written for? Was it meant to be a book used in evangelization, "proving" doctrines to other people, and a resource to understand doctrine, or just to be read to people at the mass so that they could understand the mentality of the apostles and learn the story of Jesus in the apostles own exact words? Why were the books compiled together if none of them said they should be? So what is the RCC's teaching on these matters, if there are any at all?

If I could get a Protestant perspective on this question, that would be great too.

Thank You So Much!
The Bible as a whole was compiled after centuries. There were different reasons why each separate book of the Bible was written.

Genesis was compiled in the 6th century BCE after the return of Exile. Many different traditions were put together to form the story of the people of Israel. I read, can't remember where, that the first couple chapters were written in the way they were to contrast the God of Israel from the gods of the Bablylonian myths.

Ruth and Jonah were written around the time of Ezra. As the God of Israel moved away from being a "tribal deity" to a Universal Creator God after the Return, and the "ethnic cleansing" that took place by the returned Jews is stark contrast to what was occuring as the prophetic teachings moved away from a whole people being punished for their collective sin, to the burden placed upon the individual for personal sin. Ruth showed that the Moabitess was as much a child of God as a "true Israelite", even Israel's greatest king David was decended from her. Jonah to show the mercy of God even extended to Nineveh....and because God showed mercy to the "heathens", Jonah was angry.

Daniel is part of the apocyliptic literature that was circulating toward the first century BCE as the idea of a messiah was catching hold of oppressed Israel.

The gospels as liturgical literature to be read along with the Torah in those synagouges where Paul taught Jesus was Christ among the Dispora.

Paul's letters are self explanatory as to their reasons...every church community he established had issues.

On and on....various reasons why the individual books were written.
Old Oct 30, '12, 2:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Protestant, Church of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablope View Post
Do you mean compiled? The various books were written for various reasons....like Paul's epistles were written because of issues/problems with the churches he established.

This should contain what you are looking for....http://www.catholicapologetics.info/...ism/wbible.htm
Why is it every time I hit one of your links it leads to a 10,000 word document? Are there any Cliff's notes to that site?
But seriously, you are right. Books of the OT are Law, history, prophecy, praises, etc... and the NT are letters addressing theological questions (aside from the Gospels). So individual books had their individual purpose, but also work together in a coherent message of God's mercy, forgiveness, compassion and love for His creation. I think the Bible was compiled because God knew oral history could only go so far before it became inaccurate. Compilations were being made before the "official" version, there are complete sets of the NT (the 27 books) dated to about 250 AD.Other, less extensive collections (just the 4 Gospels or just Paul's letters) date even earlier. So all the things the OP mentioned are what God intended, the Bible is to be used in worship, instruction, introspection, correction, personal growth, building of faith, apologetics, interpersonal relationships, and the strengthening of our relationship with God.
Old Oct 30, '12, 3:15 pm

Religion: Maronite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
I'm not sure I would have worded it that way.

The Mass was said before the Bible was compiled as we know it today. Actually one can say the Mass was a continuation of the old sacrifice as performed by the high priests (Melchizadech et al), so whatever Hebrew books were available at that time served as the basis for the "Mass."
I heard from various talks that because Christianity had strong ties with Judaism and it was not a sudden break off from Jewish practices, the Church therefore adopted many forms of Jewish practices. The Jews used to read the scripture as part of their liturgy on the Sabbath hence the gospel was written primarily for the same purpose in the development of the Christian liturgy.

God bless,

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture