Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 27, '12, 9:15 pm

Religion: Orthodox Christian
Question Good Catholic Prayer Book?

Could somebody recommend a good Catholic prayer book for me to buy?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Oct 27, '12, 10:22 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Good Catholic Prayer Book?

Aquinas Books has a beautiful one...very exhaustive in breadth and depth...a lot of beautiful prayers which you don't often hear today...its "in the Spirit of Vatican II"...so, they did not throw out or disregard many traditional prayers passed on down through the centuries.

Its a 1960;s edition reprint... @ 750 pages but very compact...
H x W x D: 6 3/8" (16.1 cm) x 4" (10.1 cm) x 0 3/4" (1.90 cm)...beautifully bound, typeset...with soft leather cover...great quality paper...supple and thin...costs a bit more though...@$34...but well worth it in my mind. Got these for my sons and daughter...had Aquinas engrave their name on front cover (@$10)...its a treasure for all of them...not because my wife and I gave it...but because of the beautiful prayers and quality workmanship in the book.
FYI:...Aquinas is a little slow in setting shipping dates...not an "overnight...2-3 business days company...but a darn good company and dedicated to quality products and quality service to customers.

Hope this is helpful.
Pax Christi

Quote:
Our Description

Blessed Be God is a complete Catholic prayer book, containing the Ordinary of the Mass in Latin-English, Gospel and Epistles for all Sundays and Holy days of the year. It also contains many popular novenas, special Masses such as that for the Dead and the Nuptial Mass, prayers for special Holy days, special purposes and devotions, all the sacramental rituals in English such as Baptism, Extreme Unction and the Traditional Marriage ceremony. This beloved prayer book also Includes Stations of the Cross, special devotions for all of the Liturgical seasons, prayers for the sick and dying, and much more.

Blessed Be God - A Complete Catholic Prayer Book

By Msgrs. Charles Callan and John McHugh - 1960 Edition Exact Reprint

Compiled by the famous editors of the Homiletic & Pastoral Review, America's favorite prayer book went through several editions, the last in 1960.

This brand new reprint, (2010) has been printed as closely as possible to its original specifications and includes such hi-quality features as a bonded leather softcover, rounded corners, sewn binding, gilded page edges, a marking ribbon and more, but you’re probably just wondering what’s printed inside!

This beloved, classic prayer book comes loaded with prayers and devotions cherished by generation of Catholics in America...

Peppered throughout with richly symbolic lithographs, the hi-quality scans of this book’s text matches that of the original printing.

We've even ensured that this reprint is current with the traditional 1962 Missale Romanum by inserting an updated Table of Moveable Feasts (good until 2041!) and St. Joseph's name in the Roman Canon.

This is a prayer book that will be treasured for many years and offer you a lifetime of faithful prayer and devotion.
Old Oct 27, '12, 11:02 pm

Here is my other favorite prayer book...my "dogeared"..".carry it anywhere"...paperback...@14...from Franciscan Servant-Charis Publishers:
The Catholic Prayer Book
Compiled by Msgr. Michael Buckley; Edited by Tony Castle
Quote:
Monsignor Buckley has been parish priest of St. Joseph's Church, Taddcaster, Yorkshire. He is the author of Catholic Morning Prayers, and A Prayer Book for Today's Catholic. He is now working full-time in the healing ministry and resides in England.
Quote:
In a day when Catholics have less time and yet a greater need than ever for personal prayer, The Catholic Prayer Book is a much-needed resource. Filled with a wide range of prayer from the rich tradition of the Church-including personal, family, and liturgical prayer and prayer for special occasions. The Catholic Prayer Book serves as a treasury of Catholic worship from ancient times up to the present day. LEATHERETTE EDITION ALSO AVAILABLE--- A Servant Book.

Forwards are by the late great...John Cardinal O'Connor, Archbishop of New York (1984--May 3, 2000+).R.I.P....and from late Basil Cardinal Hume, Archbishop of Westminster (1979--June 17, 1999+). R.I.P.

http://catalog.franciscanmedia.org/P...uctCode=T83283

This prayer book is also rich in breadth and depth and brings forward many great "old" devotional prayers...very compact. My only negative...wish the "Contents" pages...listing prayers...was a little more detailed...as it is,...when I find a favorite prayer...I must note name and page inside back cover...or use "sticky tabs"...otherwise...search can take awhile to find in again on another occasion...not a big deal but just to share.

Pax Christi
Old Oct 28, '12, 7:49 am

Smile Re: Good Catholic Prayer Book?

This is Our Faith by Michael Pennock
Old Oct 28, '12, 8:28 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protokletos View Post
Could somebody recommend a good Catholic prayer book for me to buy?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I vote for Blessed be God. Best prayerbook ever!! God bless.
Old Oct 28, '12, 10:05 am
Book Club Member

La Pieta Prayer Book. Also My Meditations on the Gospel - put out by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood. Both are pocket sized although one also needs to read the Bible in conjunction with the Gospel book. Luckily, I have a pocket sized Catholic edition of the New Testament.
Old Oct 28, '12, 12:27 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Handbook of Prayers is a good one...and even has Latin and the new translation of the Mass
Old Dec 1, '12, 5:05 pm

Send a message via MSN to Windmill

Try this page:

http://www.fraternitypublications.co...yer-books.html

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality