Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 4, '12, 5:09 pm

Religion: failure as a christian
Default Our Lord Jesus and The Old Testament

So my question/topic was what are the connections to our Lord Jesus and the Old Testament. I already know some of them. For instance in his sermon today our priest told us about how Moses was the first one to say "Hear O, Israel our god is god and you will love god with all your heart, mind, strength and soul and you will love your neighbor as you love yourself" I was a bit surprised as I thought our Lord was the first one to say this. Also in the gospel of John it says that being pierced and not having his legs broken was part of the prophecy. I would like to know which prophecy he was talking about. The only prophecy I know of the Jesus fulfilled was a passage I read in Isiah 53. Which I read after seeing the movie the passion. So what are some examples when Jesus either quoted a prophet from the old testament or fulfilled a prophecy from the old testament. thank you for looking at my question. I apologize if someone has asked this before.
Old Nov 4, '12, 5:19 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Our Lord Jesus and The Old Testament

being pierced and not having his legs broken was part of the prophecy

Issah, referring to Jesus on the cross. The legs of those beside Jesus were broken to speed up their death. But the Centurian came to Jesus and saw he had already died and therefore to be sure he was dead, pierced his side with his lance, and blood and water flowed out.

O blood and water gushing forth from your heart Jesus is a fount of mercy and love for us, we love and adore you.
Old Nov 4, '12, 5:26 pm

Religion: Catholic

http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/wisdom2.html

Many Protestants say that the Deuterocanonical books are apocrypha. In other words these books are not Scripture. One of the reasons given is that there were no prophets in any of these books. Let me give a few examples:

Ron Rhodes, in his Book, Reasoning from the Scriptures with Catholics, Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon, 2000, p. 33 writes:

Wisdom 2:12-20 is one of the clearest passages that point to a person who would call himself Son of God, who would be put to death by jealous people. Let us look at Wisdom 2:12-20

12: "Let us lie in wait for the righteous man, because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions; he reproaches us for sins against the law, and accuses us of sins against our training. 13: He professes to have knowledge of God, and calls himself a child of the Lord. 14: He became to us a reproof of our thoughts; 15: the very sight of him is a burden to us, because his manner of life is unlike that of others, and his ways are strange. 16: We are considered by him as something base, and he avoids our ways as unclean; he calls the last end of the righteous happy, and boasts that God is his father. 17: Let us see if his words are true, and let us test what will happen at the end of his life; 18: for if the righteous man is God's son, he will help him, and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries. 19: Let us test him with insult and torture, that we may find out how gentle he is, and make trial of his forbearance. 20: Let us condemn him to a shameful death, for, according to what he says, he will be protected."
These particular prophecies mentioned above are only found in Wisdom 2. Let us go verse by verse. Let us start in Wisdom 2:12
Wisdom 2:12 "Let us lie in wait for the righteous man, because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions; he reproaches us for sins against the law, and accuses us of sins against our training.
A righteous man will reproach the leaders and their training. Let us see how Jesus teaches on the matter.
Matthew 23:23..27-28 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others”... Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. So you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but within you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
John 7:19-20 Did not Moses give you the law? Yet none of you keeps the law. Why do you seek to kill me?"
Jesus, as in Wisdom 2:12, is a righteous man, in fact perfectly righteous. He condemns the Scribes as lawbreakers. He calls them on hypocrisy. He ‘reproached them for their sins’, as in Matt. 23:27-28. He calls them lawbreakers. And he says that they will attempt to kill him.. Wisdom 2:12, also speaks of leaders lying in wait to get the righteous man. We see that the chief priests and elders doing the following, Mt. 26:3-4:
3 Then the chief priests and the elders of the people gathered in the palace of the high priest, who was called Ca'iaphas, 4 and took counsel together in order to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him.
He had been welcomed as a King by the people (John 12:12-15) and so the rulers could not do this during the day. Because Jesus reproaches them for the breaking of the law, and accuses them of hypocrisy, the religious leaders take offense . What does Jesus do in dealing with the Jews? He exposes their hypocrisy. He calls them lawbreakers, and not keeping the heart of the law, as the above passages show. The gospel shows that they must do this stealthily, because of Jesus’ popularity (John 12:12-15). Just as predicted in Wis. 2:12.
Let us look next at Wisdom 2:13:

He professes to have knowledge of God, and calls himself a child of the Lord.
The righteous man will profess to have knowledge of God, and in fact he will have that unique knowledge of God. He will profess to be a child of God. Let us look at the gospel:
John 8:55 But you have not known him (the Father); I know him. If I said, I do not know him, I should be a liar like you; but I do know him and I keep his word.
Jesus knows the Father in a unique fashion. He knows him better than his opponents. He also terms opponents as being the followers of their Father, the devil (Jn. 8:44). As Wisdom 2:13 shows, He claims to be a child of God, as he refers to His Father, . He refers to his Father quite often, as ‘My Father’ (See John 8:38, 49, 54, 10:19, 25, 29, etc.), signifying a special relationship with God the Father He calls himself a child of God, or the Son of God, John 3:18:
18 He who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
Also see how he refers to himself as the Son of God in John 5:25
Truly, truly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
He calls himself the child of God, just as Wisdom 2:13 predicted.
Next, let us look at Wisdom 2:14: He became to us a reproof of our thoughts;
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=Samson33;9973668]So my question/topic was what are the connections to our Lord Jesus and the Old Testament. I already know some of them. For instance in his sermon today our priest told us about how Moses was the first one to say "Hear O, Israel our god is god and you will love god with all your heart, mind, strength and soul and you will love your neighbor as you love yourself" I was a bit surprised as I thought our Lord was the first one to say this. Also in the gospel of John it says that being pierced and not having his legs broken was part of the prophecy. I would like to know which prophecy he was talking about. The only prophecy I know of the Jesus fulfilled was a passage I read in Isiah 53. Which I read after seeing the movie the passion. So what are some examples when Jesus either quoted a prophet from the old testament or fulfilled a prophecy from the old testament. thank you for looking at my question. I apologize if someone has asked this before.
Dear friend,

The PURPOSE of the Old Testament is to LEAD to Christ [the promised Messiah] in the New Testament. It is a fullfillment, the completion and the perfection of the "OT."

Here are some examples:

"In the imagery of the prophets, "spirit" and "fire" were associated with purification and restoration. The Old Testament prophets warned of a purifying fire that would refine the souls of God's people by burning away what was impure and purifying the souls of the repentant sinner (Is 4:4; 66:24; Joel 2:30; Zech 13:9; Mal 3:2-4/4:1). They also promised an outpouring of the Spirit of God when God came to redeem His people (Is 32:15; 31:31-34; 40:24;41:16; 44:3;Jer 4:11-16; 23:19; 30:23: 31:31-34; Ez 13:11; 36:25-27; 39:29;Joel 2:28-29). These were prophecies that were very familiar to the people and the significant word clues and actions that John used would have triggered the recall of these prophecies."

Isaiah 7:14: Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Matthew 1:22-23: All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel'--which means, 'God with us.'

Micah 5:2: But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.

Hosea 11:1: When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.

Matthew 2:14-15 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'Out of Egypt I called my son.'

Isaiah 9:6-7: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Prophecies-Jesus.htm

Check this site out

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."

cont.....
Matthew 9:4:
But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts?
Luke 6:7-11
7 And the scribes and the Pharisees watched him, to see whether he would heal on the Sabbath, so that they might find an accusation against him. 8 But he knew their thoughts, and he said to the man who had the withered hand, "Come and stand here." And he rose and stood there. 9 And Jesus said to them, "I ask you, is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to destroy it?" 10 And he looked around on them all, and said to him, "Stretch out your hand." And he did so, and his hand was restored. 11 But they were filled with fury and discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus.
Jesus read the thoughts of his opponents. And He reproofed them for those thoughts. And they reacted by plotting to destroy Jesus.
Let us take a look at the next verse, Wisdom 2:15:

the very sight of him is a burden to us, because his manner of life is unlike that of others, and his ways are strange.
The righteous man will not do as other ‘religious’ leaders did. Let us look at the gospel:
Matthew 15:1-6 Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2 "Why do your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat." 3 He answered them, "And why do you transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, let him surely die.' 5 But you say, 'If any one tells his father or his mother, What you would have gained from me is given to God, he need not honor his father.' 6 So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God.
As Wisdom 2 predicted, he does not go along with the Pharisees’ false tradition. They saw his activities as strange. He heals on the Sabbath, and that is ‘strange’ for them: Mark 3:1-6
1 Again he entered the synagogue, and a man was there who had a withered hand. 2 And they watched him, to see whether he would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse him. 3 And he said to the man who had the withered hand, "Come here." 4 And he said to them, "Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?" But they were silent. 5 And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was restored. 6 The Pharisees went out, and immediately held counsel with the Hero'di-ans against him, how to destroy him.
Again, they seek to destroy him, as mentioned in Wisdom 2:12. But they consider as strange that he would heal on the Sabbath.
Luke 5:21-26

And the scribes and the Pharisees began to question, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God only?" 22 When Jesus perceived their questionings, he answered them, "Why do you question in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Rise and walk'? 24 But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" --he said to the man who was paralyzed--"I say to you, rise, take up your bed and go home." 25 And immediately he rose before them, and took up that on which he lay, and went home, glorifying God. 26 And amazement seized them all, and they glorified God and were filled with awe, saying, "We have seen strange things today."
It was strange to the Pharisees that Jesus claimed the authority to forgive sins. And what the people witnessed was ‘strange’ for them. This is a fulfillment of Wisdom 2:15.

cont.... Let us look at look at Wisdom 2:16:

We are considered by him 1) as something base, and he avoids our ways as unclean; 2) he calls the last end of the righteous happy, and boasts 3) that God is his father.
Let us look go over each of those three features in this verse: So, the righteous man will consider his opponents evil, and avoids their way. He will call the righteous happy, and will call God his Father. I highlighted 3 specific things. He avoids their ways as unclean, he calls the end of the righteous happy, and calls God as His Father.

39 And the Lord said to him, "Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of extortion and wickedness. 40 You fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside also? 41 But give for alms those things which are within; and behold, everything is clean for you.
1) We see in this passage that Jesus regards the Pharisees way as unclean, as they are hypocrites. Being full of extortion and wickedness, they are unclean. Jesus tells us to be clean by giving alms and being righteous. So Jesus tells people to avoid their ways, because they practice hypocrisy. This fits in with this Wisdom 2 prophecy. Let us look at part 2 of a fulfillment of Wisdom 2:16, Mt. 5:10:
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2) Jesus teaches that those who seek righteousness will be happy, as they will be in God’s kingdom, as predicted in Wisdom 2:16.
Luke 10:22 All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
3) Jesus calls God as his Father, just as Wisdom 2:16 predicted. So we see three ideas in this verse, Wisdom 2:16 fulfilled in the life of Christ in the gospel.
Let us look at the final passages of this section, Wisdom 2:17-20. They are best seen together.

17: Let us see if his words are true, and let us test what will happen at the end of his life; 18: for if the righteous man is God's son, he will help him, and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries. 19: Let us test him with insult and torture, that we may find out how gentle he is, and make trial of his forbearance. 20: Let us condemn him to a shameful death, for, according to what he says, he will be protected."
Now, let us compare that with the gospel. Now, in Matthew 27:41-43, we see the following:
41 So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, 42 "He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43 He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him; for he said, 'I am the Son of God.'"
Wisdom 2:17 says that they will see if his words are true, at the end of his life. Jesus opponents got the idea, if he was true, he would come down from the cross and Mt. 27:42 says, “we will believe him if he comes down from the cross”.
Wisdom 2:18 says if he really is God’s Son, God will deliver him. Mt. 27:43 says if he is God’s Son, he will deliver him. Now, in this passage, one will see in a Protestant Bible, a cross-reference from Mt. 27:43 to Psalm 22:8. That is because there is a mention of ‘well, if God is with him, he will deliver him’ (Ps. 22:8). There is no doubt a cross reference to that, however, it is not a complete reference. Only in Wisdom 2:18, do we see where, it specifically said that ‘If he were God’s Son, let him deliver him’. That is a much more completer reference.

Wisdom 2:19 says that he will be insulted. They mock him already in Mt. 27:43, and in a similar verse in Luke 23:35-37:

35 And the people stood by, watching; but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!" 36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him vinegar, 37 and saying, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!"
They insult and scoff at him, just like predicted in Wisdom 2:19.
Finally, Wisdom 2:20 indicates that he will be put to death. He is put to death on the cross, as though a common criminal. Two criminals die with him, one on his left, and one on his right.

We may see in this passage, Wisdom 2:12-20, one of the reasons why the Jews decided in Jamnia in 90 AD, to not allow the Deuterocanonical books. This passage in Wisdom 2 has many facets that are fulfilled in Jesus Christ. He was a righteous man,. He knew God in a special way. He was one who condemned the religious leaders of the day, who sought secretly to trap Jesus. He called God as his Father. He called them on their hypocrisy. His ways were ‘strange’. He read their thoughts. He claimed to be God’s son. He was mocked and tortured, and was condemned to his death as a common criminal, and taunted by his opponents. This passage is fulfilled in so many ways in Jesus Christ. And only in Jesus Christ.

Wisdom 13 is also used by Paul in his writings in Romans 1.18-23. There are other allusions to Wisdom in other portions of the New Testament. Nonetheless, this prophecy in Wisdom 2 of the life and death of Jesus is a most powerful witness of that truth of who Jesus is. So much for any idea that there is no prophecy contained in the Deuterocanonical books.

Page created by: Matt1618.
Send email with questions or comments on this article to Matt1618 [email protected]
Old Nov 4, '12, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Dear friend,

The PURPOSE of the Old Testament is to LEAD to Christ [the promised Messiah] in the New Testament. It is a fullfillment, the completion and the perfection of the "OT."

Here are some examples:

"In the imagery of the prophets, "spirit" and "fire" were associated with purification and restoration. The Old Testament prophets warned of a purifying fire that would refine the souls of God's people by burning away what was impure and purifying the souls of the repentant sinner (Is 4:4; 66:24; Joel 2:30; Zech 13:9; Mal 3:2-4/4:1). They also promised an outpouring of the Spirit of God when God came to redeem His people (Is 32:15; 31:31-34; 40:24;41:16; 44:3;Jer 4:11-16; 23:19; 30:23: 31:31-34; Ez 13:11; 36:25-27; 39:29;Joel 2:28-29). These were prophecies that were very familiar to the people and the significant word clues and actions that John used would have triggered the recall of these prophecies."

Isaiah 7:14: Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Matthew 1:22-23: All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel'--which means, 'God with us.'

Micah 5:2: But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.

Hosea 11:1: When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.

Matthew 2:14-15 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'Out of Egypt I called my son.'

Isaiah 9:6-7: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Prophecies-Jesus.htm

Check this site out
Thanks for the link to the site those are all great examples. I guess I didn't think about the fact that Jesus had been with God the Father since the beginning, so knowing they(the trinity) that Jesus would come one day they made preparations for his coming. When the holy spirit was revealed to the prophets they must have seen Jesus or at least knew about him. Interesting though. I never had thought that the old testament came after Jesus not the other way around.
Old Nov 4, '12, 6:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Don't forget about all the way back in Genesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen 3:14-15
14 Then the LORD God said to the snake: Because you have done this, cursed are you among all the animals, tame or wild; On your belly you shall crawl, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life.
15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; They will strike at your head, while you strike at their heel.
*Emphasis on verse 15 is mine

This has often been thought to foreshadow Mary and Jesus being in battle against the devil and demons.
Help us to follow our
Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Old Nov 4, '12, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson33 View Post
So what are some examples when Jesus either quoted a prophet from the old testament or fulfilled a prophecy from the old testament.
In Matthew 22, Jesus quoted from the Psalms to stump the Pharisees regarding His identity as God the Son, "Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question, saying, “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said to him, “The son of David.” He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying,
“‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet”’?
If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?” And no one was able to answer him a word, nor from that day did anyone dare to ask him any more questions."

Also, the author of Hebrews quotes from several places in the Psalms to demonstrate Jesus identity as the Messiah,
Chapter 1:5, "For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”?
Or again, “I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God's angels worship him.”

Of the angels he says,
“He makes his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire.”

But of the Son he says,
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

And, “You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed.
But you are the same, and your years will have no end.”

And to which of the angels has he ever said, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?
Old Nov 4, '12, 6:46 pm
Forum Master

Read Psalms 22

Psa 22:1 Unto the end, for the morning protection, a psalm for David. (22:2) O God my God, look upon me: why hast thou forsaken me? Far from my salvation are the words of my sins.
Psa 22:2 (22:3) O my God, I shall cry by day, and thou wilt not hear: and by night, and it shall not be reputed as folly in me.
Psa 22:3 (22:4) But thou dwellest in the holy place, the praise of Israel.
Psa 22:4 (22:5) In thee have our fathers hoped: they have hoped, and thou hast delivered them.
Psa 22:5 (22:6) They cried to thee, and they were saved: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
Psa 22:6 (22:7) But I am a worm, and no man: the reproach of men, and the outcast of the people.
Psa 22:7 (22:8) All they that saw me have laughed me to scorn: they have spoken with the lips, and wagged the head.
Psa 22:8 (22:9) He hoped in the Lord, let him deliver him: let him save him, seeing he delighteth in him.
Psa 22:9 (22:10) For thou art he that hast drawn me out of the womb: my hope from the breasts of my mother.
Psa 22:10 (22:11) I was cast upon thee from the womb. From my mother's womb thou art my God,
Psa 22:11 (22:12) Depart not from me. For tribulation is very near: for there is none to help me.
Psa 22:12 (22:13) Many calves have surrounded me: fat bulls have besieged me.
Psa 22:13 (22:14) They have opened their mouths against me, as a lion ravening and roaring.
Psa 22:14 (22:15) I am poured out like water; and all my bones are scattered. My heart is become like wax melting in the midst of my bowels.
Psa 22:15 (22:16) My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue hath cleaved to my jaws: and thou hast brought me down into the dust of death.
Psa 22:16 (22:17) For many dogs have encompassed me: the council of the malignant hath besieged me. They have dug my hands and feet.
Psa 22:17 (22:18) They have numbered all my bones. And they have looked and stared upon me.
Psa 22:18 (22:19) They parted my garments amongst them; and upon my vesture they cast lots.
Psa 22:19 (22:20) But thou, O Lord, remove not thy help to a distance from me; look towards my defence.
Psa 22:20 (22:21) Deliver, O God, my soul from the sword: my only one from the hand of the dog.
Psa 22:21 (22:22) Save me from the lion's mouth; and my lowness from the horns of the unicorns.
Psa 22:22 (22:23) I will declare thy name to my brethren: in the midst of the church will I praise thee.
Psa 22:23 (22:24) Ye that fear the Lord, praise him: all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him.
Psa 22:24 (22:25) Let all the seed of Israel fear him: because he hath not slighted nor despised the supplication of the poor man. Neither hath he turned away his face form me: and when I cried to him he heard me.
Psa 22:25 (22:26) With thee is my praise in a great church: I will pay my vows in the sight of them that fear him.
Psa 22:26 (22:27) The poor shall eat and shall be filled: and they shall praise the Lord that seek him: their hearts shall live for ever and ever.
Psa 22:27 (22:28) All the ends of the earth shall remember, and shall be converted to the Lord: And all the kindreds of the Gentiles shall adore in his sight.
Psa 22:28 (22:29) For the kingdom is the Lord's; and he shall have dominion over the nations.
Psa 22:29 (22:30) All the fat ones of the earth have eaten and have adored: all they that go down to the earth shall fall before him.
Psa 22:30 (22:31) And to him my soul shall live: and my seed shall serve him.
Psa 22:31 (22:32) There shall be declared to the Lord a generation to come: and the heavens shall shew forth his justice to a people that shall be born, which the Lord hath made.

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
Old Nov 4, '12, 8:32 pm

Do not forget the cry on the cross as our Lord was giving up His spirit He exclaimed:

Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Which referres to:

Psalm 22:1
For the Chief Musician; set to Aijeleth hash-Shahar. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my groaning?

The Psalm is a prophecy of the Messiah

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 5, '12, 5:05 am

Quote:
what are some examples when Jesus either quoted a prophet from the old testament or fulfilled a prophecy from the old testament.
Luke 4,
"And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”

And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”"
Old Nov 5, '12, 7:48 am

Smile Re: Our Lord Jesus and The Old Testament

Thanks for all the great answers. I know some of the should be obvious to me, but I was raised in a extremely atheist household, so None of the bible is very familiar to me. IStories like Adam and Eve, Jonah and the whale, Moses, the gospels,etc are all unfamiliar to me, but I'm learning more and more everyday. thanks again to everyone for the great ahttp://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/smile.gifnswers.
Old Nov 5, '12, 7:40 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
So my question/topic was what are the connections to our Lord Jesus and the Old Testament. I already know some of them. For instance in his sermon today our priest told us about how Moses was the first one to say "Hear O, Israel our god is god and you will love god with all your heart, mind, strength and soul and you will love your neighbor as you love yourself" I was a bit surprised as I thought our Lord was the first one to say this. Also in the gospel of John it says that being pierced and not having his legs broken was part of the prophecy. I would like to know which prophecy he was talking about. The only prophecy I know of the Jesus fulfilled was a passage I read in Isiah 53. Which I read after seeing the movie the passion. So what are some examples when Jesus either quoted a prophet from the old testament or fulfilled a prophecy from the old testament. thank you for looking at my question. I apologize if someone has asked this before.
My advice to you: read Matthew's gospel, very carefully, back to back with the OT. Matthew is very big on Jesus being the fulfillment of the OT and has the quotes and allusions to back it up.
Old Nov 6, '12, 7:05 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=Samson33;9973810]Thanks for the link to the site those are all great examples. I guess I didn't think about the fact that Jesus had been with God the Father since the beginning, so knowing they(the trinity) that Jesus would come one day they made preparations for his coming. When the holy spirit was revealed to the prophets they must have seen Jesus or at least knew about him. Interesting though. I never had thought that the old testament came after Jesus not the other way around.
YOUR welcome!
Stay close to God and he WILL say close to you

The OT Lead to Jesus but was authored B4 the Incarmantion. Jesus completed, and perfected the OT and as God existed from all Eternity. One God: Co-Equal and Co-Eternal

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture