Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 5, '12, 10:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Do deacons get compensated?

Do deacons get compensated?
Old Nov 5, '12, 11:19 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Petrine Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Inego de Loyola
Default Re: Do deacons get compensated?

They are given necessities of life i'm sure, but the gift of holy orders is an honor in and of itself beyond any human worth, and their full compensation comes in the secondary beatitude of heaven.
Old Nov 6, '12, 12:02 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

One of the deacons from the parish where I was Confirmed is also the director of RCIA. Every week he would ask us to fill out scraps of paper with any question we might have and anonymously deposit it into a basket at the beginning of the following RCIA gathering where the question would be answered.

This was a question once. He said that someone who seeks to become part of the permanent diaconate on their own accord, most likely will not be paid by the diocese unless there are special conditions. However, he said, that he is paid by the diocese since he was asked by the diocese to study and enter into the diaconate.

He's been a deacon for 20+ years now, is married, and has 7 children. I'm sure the pay has helped him and his family immensely since he does not have any other trade or job that he's committed to.
Old Nov 6, '12, 3:38 am

Some do, some do not.
Old Nov 6, '12, 3:59 am

Religion: orthodox Roman-rite Catholic

From reading I've been doing about the Dioaconate, anyone who already has employment outside of the Church is expected to support themselves with that job.
Old Nov 6, '12, 4:08 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltojose View Post
Do deacons get compensated?
This is what Canon Law has to say on the topic:
Quote:
Can. 281 1. Since clerics dedicate themselves to ecclesiastical ministry, they deserve remuneration which is consistent with their condition, taking into account the nature of their function and the conditions of places and times, and by which they can provide for the necessities of their life as well as for the equitable payment of those whose services they need.
2. Provision must also be made so that they possess that social assistance which provides for their needs suitably if they suffer from illness, incapacity, or old age.
3. Married deacons who devote themselves completely to ecclesiastical ministry deserve remuneration by which they are able to provide for the support of themselves and their families. Those who receive remuneration by reason of a civil profession which they exercise or have exercised, however, are to take care of the needs of themselves and their families from the income derived from it.
Old Nov 6, '12, 5:02 am

In our diocese the rule is that deacons, married or not, working or retired from a secular job, do not receive compensation unless they are directly employed by the diocese in a chancery-type job. Deacons working at the parish level do not receive any compensation from the diocese. An individual pastor might decide to provide either a small stipend or permit the deacon to keep any offerings that a family might make for a baptism. Many parishes, however, expect the deacon to turn in anything he might receive for doing a baptism or conducting a wedding or a committal. It is my understanding that about 2/3rds of our deacons receive or allowed to keep nothing. An occasional pastor might give his deacon a small check at Christmas, but again that seems much less common that it used to be.
Old Nov 6, '12, 5:06 am

Our Permanent Deacon does. His salary appears in the parish's annual accounts, which are displayed for everyone to see. From that, I learn that he receives about half the national average wage, which makes sense, as he is part-time PD, part-time running his own small business.
Old Nov 6, '12, 5:17 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
Our Permanent Deacon does. His salary appears in the parish's annual accounts, which are displayed for everyone to see. From that, I learn that he receives about half the national average wage, which makes sense, as he is part-time PD, part-time running his own small business.
Or, rather, he's a Permanent Deacon, working part-time for the parish and part-time running his own small business.
Old Nov 6, '12, 5:39 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Or, rather, he's a Permanent Deacon, working part-time for the parish and part-time running his own small business.
Exactly, as a Deacon, his compensation is strictly spiritual in nature.

But a man who happens to be a Deacon can be employed by the parish, in the same was as a layperson can be employed. As such, the employment itself is compensated.

I know a Deacon who is a retired CPA. He was hired at a parish to manage the books. As such, he is paid as a bookkeeper would be, but not as a Deacon.
Old Nov 6, '12, 5:54 am

Deacons are generally not compensated for being "deacons". However, if they hold a position within the diocese or parish, in addition to being a deacon, they would be compensated in due course for holding that position, as would anyone else who might not be a deacon but hold that position.

In other words, no, unless they are hired into a postion by the diocese or a parish.

For example, one of my deacon brothers is assigned to his home parish. He is not compensated in that capacity. He also serves as director of religious education in another parish. He is compensated in that role.

Another example. One of my deacon brothers is assigned to his home parish as a deacon. He also serves in an administrative role with the diocese full time. He is only compensated for the latter.

I have been assigned to serve as deacon to a neighboring parish to my longtime home parish. (I have since changed parishes as has my family and am now a member of the parish where I serve) I facilitate the marriage preparation program there, I teach RCIA there, I facilitate the weekly Eucharistic Adoration there, I work with the weekly men's group there. I am the advocate for parties in nullity procedings from that parish as well. I also serve on the altar weekly and occasionally preach there. I am not compensated for those roles.

I have a full time job as an attorney.

Deacon Jeff

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum
Old Nov 6, '12, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post

Yes, you are quite right. Phemie! It was badly phrased.
Old Nov 7, '12, 5:18 pm

Thanks. I was with a co-worker this week who has recently begun work as a Deacon at his local Parish in Chicagoland. He corroborates everything said here.
Old Nov 8, '12, 1:58 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
In our diocese the rule is that deacons, married or not, working or retired from a secular job, do not receive compensation unless they are directly employed by the diocese in a chancery-type job. Deacons working at the parish level do not receive any compensation from the diocese. An individual pastor might decide to provide either a small stipend or permit the deacon to keep any offerings that a family might make for a baptism. Many parishes, however, expect the deacon to turn in anything he might receive for doing a baptism or conducting a wedding or a committal. It is my understanding that about 2/3rds of our deacons receive or allowed to keep nothing. An occasional pastor might give his deacon a small check at Christmas, but again that seems much less common that it used to be.
That is how it is in our diocese too. Unless a deacon is specifically employed by a parish as DRE, business manager, etc., he does not receive any form of salary or compensation. Also he is expected to work up to ten hours the parish where he is assigned doing duties assigned to him by the pastor (RCIA, marriage prep, wakes, etc.) without payment.
Old Nov 12, '12, 10:06 am

Religion: Catholic, OFS

In my diocese, not only are the deacons not compensated, but each parish is assessed a couple hundred dollars per year to the diocese for the privilege of having a deacon. I think it helps pay for their mandatory retreats.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations